Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Worth buying an adapter for this lens?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I found this camera and lens in an old box. I am wondering if it would be worth it to buy an adapter to use it on my K20D? Also, does an adapter affect it's speed?

Thanks gang.

Stock photo below, but the lens I found is spotless and the blades are crisp and clean.

Last edited by magnum1; 11-28-2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added head-on lens shot
11-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It will end up costing you a few hundred dollars. Oh, the adapter is only about thirty bucks....but it will lead to purchasing more M42 lenses. They're like Lay's potato chips.

You may send the lens to me if you wish to save yourself from this horrible fate.
11-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice lens, make sure there are no issues with the mirror clearing the back of it. (Some Fuji M42 lenses interfer...)
11-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Fuji lenses do have a following. Not sure if that's one of the more highly regarded ones though...

Chris

11-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #5

This is the entry level fujinon, does not come with famous EBC coating. There is also no pin poped out too, kinda sweet. So it can be easily adapt to PK mount.

This lens does not have problem with mirror. As far as I know, only 16mm fisheye could have problem with full frame Canon and Kodak.

It's very personal opinion on IQ.

The lens itself may not worth the adapter. If you like to play old manual focus m42 lenses, it's a good start.
11-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vanchaz2002 Quote
This is the entry level fujinon, does not come with famous EBC coating. There is also no pin poped out too, kinda sweet. So it can be easily adapt to PK mount.

This lens does not have problem with mirror. As far as I know, only 16mm fisheye could have problem with full frame Canon and Kodak.

It's very personal opinion on IQ.

The lens itself may not worth the adapter. If you like to play old manual focus m42 lenses, it's a good start.
You know, the more I looked into it, it was purchased in the late 70's from K-Mart no less. Not understanding how this lens's numbers convert over to a digital camera makes me wonder if I should go ahead.

If this will truely operate at 2.2 55mm, I might give it a whirl. $30 for an adapter isn't that much especially if it makes it possible for future screw mounts.

By the way, this lense has a pin sticking ut the back for aperature control. Not sure if that will be a problem.

Please, if anyone can tell me if it remains a 2.2 55mm when mounted to my K10/20D let me know. This thing is clean!

Thanks,
Tom
11-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The aperture actuation pin is normal and won't cause a problem. The maximum aperture will still be 2.2 on digital, but the crop factor will apply to this lens just as to any Pentax lens. The 55mm will be 55 x 1.5.

11-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #8

The stick-out pin is no problem if it can be pushed back. The pin I mentioned on most of the Fujinon EBC lens is on the edge of the aperture ring to transfer the aperture reading to the camera. That will cause problem.

The lens will become 75mm F/2.2 on pentax DSLR. Perfect for portrait. So go have a try and I can ensure you better results than the kits lens.

A small thing is the photo taken by this lens MIGHT be a bit warmer due to the some element in the coating. There are enough discussion on how to reverse it. All my Fujinon EBC lens are ok but I have a 50/1.4 without EBC coating is a bit yellowish.

In terms of adapter ring, go find a original Pentax one. The most common version comes with blueish plastic bag. Maybe someone on the forum have a spare to share.
11-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
If this will truely operate at 2.2 55mm, I might give it a whirl. $30 for an adapter isn't that much especially if it makes it possible for future screw mounts.
Yes, it definitely operates at f/2.2 - which is to say, slower than the Pentax 50/2 or 50/1.7, neither of which cost any more than the $30 adapter you are considering. And yes, it truly operates at 55mm, which is to say, the field of view *any* 55mm lens - including the kit 18-55 at its longest - provides on digital (on the wide side of what might be considered useful for portraiture, on the long side of what is otherwise useful for most indoor use). Neither f-stop nor focal length change just because the lens came from a film camera. A 55mm lens is always a 55mm lens on your camera no matter where it camera from (even though 5mm on your camera might be different form 55mm on a film camera), and f/2.2 is always f/2.2 on your camera.
04-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Fujica M42 EBC Lenses galore

I know this is an old thread, but we are talking about old lenses here.

and as Mike Cash says they are like lays chips, but i just found these on ebay..

16mm Fisheye EBC M42

Fujinon Fujica EBC 16MM Fisheye Lens 35mm SLR - Digital on eBay (end time 01-May-10 21:49:38 BST)

Fujinon Fujica EBC f=100mm Lens 35mm SLR-Digital on eBay (end time 06-May-10 19:55:33 BST)

Fujinon-Z Wide Angle 29-47mm Zoom Lens M42 SLR-Digital on eBay (end time 06-May-10 21:09:04 BST)