Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What to do when 1:1 Macro isn't quite close enough

I already had a Vivitar Series 1 105 F2.5 Macro lens and a Lester Dine ring flash. The lens will focus to 1:1 with no adaptors. If you add the 1.5 crop factor, it actuall focuses to 1:0.666. I recently obtained a Vivitar 2X macro focusing teleconverter (from Fletcherkane on this forum - a great seller!) and was curious to see what that combination would do. This should make the lens a 1:0.333 macro (that is 3X life size on the sensor). The teleconverter is auto as well as the lens, so all metering functions work perfectly. The lens is already huge when at its minimum focusing distance and the teleconverter makes it enormous.

The depth of field is razor thin at that magnification, so I used a tripod for the tests. I took a picture of the seal on the right side of Washington on the dollar bill. I was only able to get part of the balance at that magnification.

I also took a picture of the eagle on the opposite side:

When would I ever use this kind of magnification? Well, the setup is so difficult that I probably would never use this combination in the field, but for at home, when I need extreme magnification this setup works well.

Tom

11-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Actually, the crop factor doesn't change the magnification of a lens.
Also, I believe with the Vivitar teleconverter the magnification ratio is closer to 2.5:1. I did a similar test with my Lester A. Dine 105mm macro when I had the vivitar 2x macro TC and those were my results. I believe the extension is about 25-30mm and this alone, without the 2x aspect, would take the lens to about 1.25:1. Since the extension is in front of the TC part, and since this part multiples the focal length by 2, yet maintains the same minimum focus distance, that takes the setup to about 2.5:1.

Anyway, those are some well done extreme macro shots. The one time I tried the same setup at the same settings, the lighting was bad and the results were bad as well. That ring light would be a nice addition to the kit. I sure wouldn't want to try to do bug macros with that setup, at least on anything moving.
11-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Is it my eyes, barrel distortion on the lens you took that shot with, or is that lens drooping?

Good crisp shots though.
11-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice; great results. I like that flash adapter.

If you ever decide to step it up, here's one path: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/13422-macro.html#post110194

11-29-2008, 12:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Is it my eyes, barrel distortion on the lens you took that shot with, or is that lens drooping?

Good crisp shots though.
There may be a slight amount of distortion - I was using a Sigma 18-50 zoom at 18mm. The lens does not seem to droop. I actually used the lens pointing down, so it definitely did not droop then. Thanks for the compliment, it was difficult to get the field exactly perpendicular - I ended up using a bubble level and pointing the lens straight down.

11-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

*whew* that is incredibly close Tom! Thanks for the demo.
11-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Nice; great results. I like that flash adapter.

If you ever decide to step it up, here's one path: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/13422-macro.html#post110194
Wow! I am amazed at the complexity of the camera setup used on the link you sent me. I'll bet the auto metering does not work ;-) It just shows me that the shots I did are not that close relatively.

The flash works really, really good. It has a flash power slider and I just play with the aperture and the flash power slider until the exposure looks correct. I took these pictures at about F22. I wanted to take them at a larger aperture (such as F8 to minimize diffraction) , but even at ISO 100, it would overexpose at the lowest power setting of the flash.

I noticed in your signature that you have an APO Lanthar 125mm F2.5 That is an amazing lens - I wish I had bought one when they were affordable.

Last edited by pentaxman; 11-29-2008 at 01:03 AM.
11-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Actually, the crop factor doesn't change the magnification of a lens.
Also, I believe with the Vivitar teleconverter the magnification ratio is closer to 2.5:1. I did a similar test with my Lester A. Dine 105mm macro when I had the vivitar 2x macro TC and those were my results. I believe the extension is about 25-30mm and this alone, without the 2x aspect, would take the lens to about 1.25:1. Since the extension is in front of the TC part, and since this part multiples the focal length by 2, yet maintains the same minimum focus distance, that takes the setup to about 2.5:1.

Anyway, those are some well done extreme macro shots. The one time I tried the same setup at the same settings, the lighting was bad and the results were bad as well. That ring light would be a nice addition to the kit. I sure wouldn't want to try to do bug macros with that setup, at least on anything moving.
I know that the magnification of the lens does not change, but the distance across the full frame is smaller, so it appears to have more magnification. Something 24mm wide will take up the entire frame at 1:1 on the K20D, but it would need to be 36mm wide to take up the full frame at 1:1 on a 35mm camera.

The ring light really makes macro photography easy. It also has a small non-ring flash that points at about a 45 degree angle directly in front of the lens. I find that I have less problems with reflections using the non-ring part of the flash. There is a switch on the flash unit which makes it easy to switch between the two different flashes.

Tom

11-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

This was taken with the same macro converter on a Tamron 90mm Macro.
No cropping, using AF360 flash on camera.

11-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A semi-interesting link for anyone photographing U.S. currency:

Be careful not to inadvertently commit a felony
11-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

that's some interesting work
how often will you use this rig tho?
11-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
This was taken with the same macro converter on a Tamron 90mm Macro.
No cropping, using AF360 flash on camera.

Wow! - That is close. I'm surprised you could use the on camera flash with that short of a focusing distance. Were you manually focusing and was that picture handheld? How did you get the fly to cooperate?

Tom
11-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
that's some interesting work
how often will you use this rig tho?

I don't think I will use that setup very often. Usually 1:1 magnification is close enough and the additional length and weight caused by adding the adaptor make the setup pretty unwieldy.

I once mounted a 24mm lens in reverse to my Nikon film camera many years ago. It had pretty extreme macro capability and it was a very compact setup. I don't know what the magnification ended up being.

I may get a 52mm Pentax reversing ring and see how close I can get with my Pentax-A 24mm F2.8 lens. One problem with this setup is that the focusing distance is extremely close, so you'd better have a cooperative subject. Another problem is that the lens is not automatic when it is reversed, so you'd better have plenty of light in order to be able to focus.

Tom
11-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
Wow! - That is close. I'm surprised you could use the on camera flash with that short of a focusing distance. Were you manually focusing and was that picture handheld? How did you get the fly to cooperate?

Tom
Yup, manual focus and hand held.
I have no idea why the fly decided to cooperate, he/she actually took off a few times and then returned to the same spot.

Couple more with same setup.

And this one was the Vivitar 100mm f2.8 macro on a set of bellows.

11-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #15

Original Poster
Those are some beautiful shots, Mike.

Tom