Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Honestly tho,,,,, for this application, video in extremes, a GoPro with housing would be the best solution
This ^ ^ ^

...or similar action-cam. There are ruggedized cameras intended for industrial use.

Steve

07-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I'll add to those who already said a gopro or similar sealed camera. Heavy smoke and high pressure water from hoses exceeds what "weather-sealing" is supposed to do.

Maybe go with something like this up close Video Cameras and Accessories, and then a normal camera at distance.

Since you're a cadet, ask your instructor for permission to contact whoever runs the burn building. They've probably done video in there before so ask what they've used.
07-13-2021, 12:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
If you are going to be in extreme conditions as you describe, maybe an underwater type housing would be best.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Still-Cameras-Housings/ci/16477/N/41...name%3Adicapac

Honestly tho,,,,, for this application, video in extremes, a GoPro with housing would be the best solution
I second this motion. An action cam such as GoPro will do a better job. And your expensive K-3 will not be risked, because in the circumstances you describe an accident can always happen. And an action cam is specifically build for these occasions. And they are (very) affordable.
07-13-2021, 01:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maisz Quote
Just as a quick note, i will be most likely be outside away from the danger due to regulations and being a Cadet and not an active duty firefighter. I won't be in very extreme conditions but will be close to some extreme conditions. Once i get into the Air Force and if I can get a firefighting job i will be doing firefighting videos as a firefigher in the extreme conditions. so I have some time to save to get better lenses or get weather proof equipment and video equipment.
Well the suggestion of cmohr is I think a better option than using the K-3. GoPro will be what you call better equipment for the job. Think of the possibility to attach a GoPro to your helmet, to mention a possibility of using that camera, you won't succeed doing so with a K-3 + lens, far too heavy! Again, I agree with dbs suggestion, keep your K-3 safe.

07-13-2021, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Rainsleeve - Camera cover for rain and snow | OP/TECH USA

Take a look at this. I'm sure there must be other similar solutions from other manufacturers.
07-13-2021, 06:36 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I second, third, or however often it was recommended an action cam for videos close to the action.
From further away WR is not that important in my opinion, because water droplets on the front lens generally won't improve IQ of the video anyways, so you probably will avoid too wet areas when filming (and a few drops of water won't destroy the lens or camera when dried properly afterwards).

While the new K-3 iii has improved video quality, shooting video is nothing Pentax DSLRs are famous for, so if videography is important to you, you might have a look at other offerings too
07-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I'd skip the DSLR and go for something like the Ricoh WG-7. I don't know how great it is for video, though, and have never used one so massive grain of salt. That's the area of the market I would be shopping in any case. Something really rated for real moisture etc etc.

07-13-2021, 08:01 AM   #23

Original Poster
they make helmet cameras and stuff for that kind of thing for firefighters and my department has one, i will be mostly (as in always unless a few special cases) outside in a safe area filming and taking pictures. Thank you all for your help
07-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You already received some great advice. For your application, and based upon my experience with photography of research experiments, I would suggest to think of the shutter speed that you need and the type of lighting. I suspect that you will need to shoot at high shutter speed and you would need a lens with excellent IQ to get best pictures
I would recommend to go for a prime lens, preferably an older.MF all metallic lens with minimum electronics and sturdy construction.
I might be biased but my favourite fast prime lens for this type of work is the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. It is not rated WR but I have used mine in very harsh conditions (sub-tropical rain, wave breaking, seafront....). Like any lens (incl. WR), it requires some simple and good TLC (Tender Love and Care).
Hope that the comment may help.
i found a vivitar or a pK-a/r 28-70 manual macro lens, from an old 35mm film camera, how can i keep it clean if my way of zooming is sliding a ring forward?
07-13-2021, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you are involved and part of the action, you will definitely need the rugged industrial equipment as has been suggested. If you are away from the action, with occasional wind-blown water drops like a rainy day coming your way, then your K-3 with a good lens having weather sealing should do the trick. In any case, as to the lens, much will depend on the distance you will be shooting from, how much of the scene at that distance you will want in your framing, and how light or dark will be the lighting. If you are always shooting in daylight conditions, you might not need a fast aperture lens like f/2.8 zooms. You did mention f/2.8 for aperture, which is about maximum for zoom lenses, and are expensive, as well as heavier for the zoom range. If you are pretty far away, the Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 Adam bought up is a very fine lens, is well protected by its design, is f/2.8 capable throughout its zoom range, and is compact and relatively lightweight for f/2.8 lenses of this zoom range, handling being very good. For a shorter lens if you are up closer, but not so close to need the industrial setup, There will soon be a new Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 AW PLM which of course offers wide angle capability. It should be a winner. The old version is still available, but its SDM AF was not too good or reliable. The upcoming replacement the AF will be much better for video, and in every other way. If you don't need that much wide angle but some, with a bit more telephoto, there is the full-frame design still very usable on your K-3, the Pentax DFA 24-70mm f/2.8 WR lens.

The action you are describing might not require an extremely fast shutter speed, as it is not fast action like hockey. Those f/2.8 zoom lenses with their aperture range can get you a good shutter speed selection, while allowing you to avoid having to increase ISO to the point where noise/grain become a problem. But if lighting is good, and you don't need f/2.8 (keep in mind, using such an aperture does also reduce depth of field as to how much in your frame will appear sharp), then your choice of lenses having WR will be greater.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-13-2021 at 07:00 PM.
07-13-2021, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #26
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maisz Quote
i found a vivitar or a pK-a/r 28-70 manual macro lens, from an old 35mm film camera, how can i keep it clean if my way of zooming is sliding a ring forward?
Zoom lenses are more prone to "suck" moisture during zooming out or in. In that sense, prime lenses are more 'robust' and 'safer' to use in harsh environment IMO.
For any lens, you may consider a sleeve to place over the lens to reduce splash on the lens. However a sleeve does not work when the atmosphere is water-saturated (100% humidity).
Hope that the comment may help.
07-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #27

Original Poster
What does AL mean, I found an SMC Pentax-DA 18-55 3.5-5.6 AL pentax lens
07-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AL in Pentax lens speak means aspherical. Supposed to help with corner image quality and general flatness of field (reduced field curvature). All of the 18-55's are considered AL lenses. There is a WR version (or two? DA and DA-L which should be exactly identical in optical performance) of the 18-55 which would be of interest for you.
07-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #29

Original Poster
what does an FL-D filter do?
07-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another opinion suggesting a DSLR may not be your best tool for this job.

If you want more flexibility, and better image quality, than a GoPro, I'd suggest a used Sony RX100-series camera with the appropriate underwater housing. The 1" sensor makes a huge difference over what you'd get in a GoPro. I've used an RX100ii inside a $70 underwater housing for tons of wet-weather, heavy smoke and particulate, and high risk applications (heavy construction and demolition in adversarial weather).

Absolutely invaluable because it did great for photos and video with much smaller gear risk than anything else.