Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2021, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I agree that it may well be marketing. Tamron not mentioning that one of the asphericals is anomalous dispersion is odd though. As far as I understand this is an expensive material.

Stevebrots posts are hilarious I have no idea what he's on about but lets leave it.

Perhaps these optical diagrams are just pure marketing that reveal only a minimum about the actual optics. Still find that strange for such a product as a lens.

07-16-2021, 02:41 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is the same lens with different coatings. I'm guessing the Pentax version flares a bit less than the Tamron branded version due to these coatings, but otherwise there is probably little difference.

I do shoot with it and it is decent. I still would be interested if Pentax would do their own 24-70 f2.8 like their new release of the DA *16-50 PLM. It just has weakish borders wide open.
07-16-2021, 06:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Just words…
Pentax coatings align well with other Pentax glass. Exterior design is more Pentax like. Only one lens here fits Pentax.
07-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The two diagrams looks to be identical. The name given are probably more marketing than technical, I would not worry about such a "difference". Except the coatings, the lenses should be the same.

07-16-2021, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The brief (and not altogether helpful) summary from Ricoh on their lens marketing document indicates that it’s a glass type, not a manufacturing process. Moulded lenses may be of a number of different types of glass (as, indeed, is the new pentaprism in the K-3iii, compared with its predecessors).
I would expect this ^ ^ ^ might put much of the matter to rest, but perhaps not.

Steve
07-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
The two diagrams looks to be identical. The name given are probably more marketing than technical, I would not worry about such a "difference". Except the coatings, the lenses should be the same.
I doubt anyone is particularly worried about any detail differences, but curiosity is the common element that drives most of us out to take photos in the first place. It can, obviously, also lead us up the occasional blind alley.
07-17-2021, 01:23 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This article about the da*1650 discusses some of the glass types involved. Beware of poor translation. Abnormal -> anomalous for instance.

Link by ooku

https://mp-weixin-qq-com.translate.goog/s/te4rqbbZi7J0YvNkb7U41A?_x_tr_sl=zh...o=ajax,nv,elem

Makes you wonder if tamron has a similar patent explaining the glass types to such a level of detail.

07-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
This article about the da*1650 discusses some of the glass types involved. Beware of poor translation. Abnormal -> anomalous for instance.

Link by ooku

https://mp-weixin-qq-com.translate.goog/s/te4rqbbZi7J0YvNkb7U41A?_x_tr_sl=zh...o=ajax,nv,elem

Makes you wonder if tamron has a similar patent explaining the glass types to such a level of detail.
Translation oddities aside, the detail is fascinating, including the number and variety of special glasses used in that design. The comment about the glass used by Sigma being responsible for some of their odd colourings is interesting. I’d actually noticed something like this with their 8-16.
07-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My take away is that the specified glass types are indeed different and of consequence. There is however a chance (even if it goes against all self interest ) that Tamron omits naming the expensive glass in their lens to simplify the marketing material.

That is however a bit like a restaurant putting only the term "beef" on the menu and serving wagu without informing the customer.
07-19-2021, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

To me, as an optical designer, looking at these imprecise renderings, I see no difference between the two.

The companies will not reveal their trade secrets on these drawings.

The names they use for their exotic glass is marketing, not technical. Don't put too much weight on it.
07-19-2021, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The names they use for their exotic glass is marketing, not technical. Don't put too much weight on it.
Velcom to de hydraulic press channel, today ve have some exotic Pentax glass elements that vant us to buy them, so ve must deeeal with it.

sorry for taking that literally
07-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So do you think Pentax actually isn't using anomalous dispersion glass in their lenses? Because anomalous dispersion is a technical glass type right? Total noob at this stuff but have seen it mentioned in what appeared to be academic papers (not Pentax related )

Seems dangerous to claim it in marketing material without cover?

---------- Post added 07-19-21 at 11:59 AM ----------

Remembered this from a previous post. It shows that Tamrons does use and specify anomalous dispersion for some of its lenses. Doesn't say they have to say every time they use it of course.

Last edited by house; 07-19-2021 at 12:00 PM.
07-20-2021, 05:05 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Velcom to de hydraulic press channel
Well played!

So do you think Pentax actually isn't using anomalous dispersion glass in their lenses?
I didn't say that. I said the choice of words is marketing. Another company might call it something different.

Because anomalous dispersion is a technical glass type right?
Not really, no.

Dispersion is a phenomenon, not a type of glass. "Anomalous" is an adjective added to it. It's not one single type of glass, and the rest of the design elements (thickness, curvature of that element, relation to the others, etc) will influence its behaviour.
07-20-2021, 07:04 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well played!

I didn't say that. I said the choice of words is marketing. Another company might call it something different.

Not really, no.

Dispersion is a phenomenon, not a type of glass. "Anomalous" is an adjective added to it. It's not one single type of glass, and the rest of the design elements (thickness, curvature of that element, relation to the others, etc) will influence its behaviour.
Im pretty sure I've seen Schott PDFs with product numbers detailing anomalous partial dispersion. But only in passing as I'm not really knowledgeable.

Of course the glass then has to be shaped etc but thats besides the material itself. I'll have a look at that ooku linked breakdown of the dfa1650 again because it had info and numbers for the glass types.
07-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've done some more lazy googling and found Hoya patents for anomalous partial dispersion glass recipes dating back to the early seventies. As well as lots of recent info from Schott, Leitz etc. So its most certainly a (actually many different, a whole category) type of material that is different from other optical speciality formulations.