Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2021, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only lens that I don’t use a hood for is the FA100 Macro, where the front element is so recessed that it doesn’t need one.

07-16-2021, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually use a hood outside. Good benefits and almost no negatives for doing so. Most of my hoods are the rubber collapsible type, so they don't take up much room in my bag. When I got my Sigma 17-70mm I got a hood that collapses in three stages. This lets me collapse it to the right length to avoid vignetting throughout the zoom range. It can block some of the built-in flash if extended all the way. This only happened when I tried it on purpose as an experiment. It's never been a problem during actual shooting scenarios. I can add a small flash to the hotshoe if necessary to avoid the problem.
07-16-2021, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you don't think a hood makes a difference, you should do some testing,
Particularly if you have a lens with a large, bulbous front element,
Set up a shot on a tripod, shoot with and without hood, try different angles to the sun,
Vary aperture too,

You'd be surprised the subtle differences you may pick up on.
With this information you can make an informed decision about the value of a hood.
07-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I Always use a hood.

07-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by mbaez Quote
if i have the hood i always use it, mainly for protection and glare.

+1 .
07-16-2021, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using a hood can often, but not always, increase contrast and clarity by blocking incoming side-lighting. One can get a feel for the angle when this is more likely to cause a problem, then as an old-timer once said, your hat is a good lens hood- but having a lens hood on the lens makes for easier handling. I have some old lenses that did not come with a hood, so bought a crew-on hood for them. The ones with dedicated hoods usually can go on backwards to be stored in the bag or case when not being used, then being still compact enough.
07-17-2021, 04:46 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Using a hood can often, but not always, increase contrast and clarity by blocking incoming side-lighting. One can get a feel for the angle when this is more likely to cause a problem, then as an old-timer once said, your hat is a good lens hood- but having a lens hood on the lens makes for easier handling. I have some old lenses that did not come with a hood, so bought a crew-on hood for them. The ones with dedicated hoods usually can go on backwards to be stored in the bag or case when not being used, then being still compact enough.
This ! I use most of the time, the time I cant use it is when I'm using larger filter with step-up rings, in that case, I hold an cap/hat/umbrella to get as less glare as possible. With HD this is less of an issue with with SMCs and lenses from other brands, it's a mixed bag; so out comes the hood/light-block.

07-17-2021, 05:50 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always, or I shield it with a hat or my body . . . and many times both. (I shoot predominately using a tripod.)
07-17-2021, 06:18 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Hood is good.
Use the 70-200 or DFA*85 with hood to scare models. So sometimes no hood is OK.
07-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
sedgsdfg
07-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
sedgsdfg
Posting for the raffle?
07-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, hood. Why wouldn't you? Lots of samples kicking around here over the years showing pictures with and without the hood showing the improvements in contrast and flare control. Easy way to help get the most from your lens.
07-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Older lens get a hood if I have it. Newer hardly ever. The 55-300 always has it. It used to be flipped 80% of the time but it acts as a shock absorber. It pops off on impact and there is a piece that pops off the hood absorbing more impact. It has probably saved my lens 5 times. I leave it on "in use" now because it is suffices as a lens cap and it is much faster to use.
07-17-2021, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #44
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Always a hood.
I mass bought the cheap metal ones.
The good thing about them is the outer edge is threaded and takes a lens cap. For instance a 49mm hood will take a 58mm cap.
So the hoods stay dedicated on the lenses and the lenses can be capped.
Takes up a little more space in your bag but that never seems to matter.
And the great thing is the hood is permanently on protecting your front filter rings from impact.
07-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't had any luck finding a suitable hood for my K 28/2.0 - everything I've tried vignettes. Fortunately, it performs beautifully without

Otherwise - hood every time.

(moved to lens sub-forum)