Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Please show me your SMC-F lens collection

They are plasticky and ugly but I absolutely adore them. I had a small collection and regret giving it up.
Any one here with an extensive set please show it off here. Thanks!

07-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
They are plasticky and ugly but I absolutely adore them. I had a small collection and regret giving it up.
I had one of the zooms once. I agree with the first part of your sentiment but not the second. IMHO they were the low point of Pentax lens design.

Sorry.............probably not what you wanted to read
07-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have seven A-series lenses and four FA-series lenses, but only two F-series lenses because they just don't appeal to me. I got the F 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom lens as a kit with my PZ-1 some 25-28 years ago, and while it's ok, it's a very ugly lens and one of the least-used lenses I've ever had; it's the only F lens that I ever bought new. Many years later, I bought the F 28-mm f/2.8 lens used in mint condition, which is really a very good lens and one that I wish that I had gotten earlier; I use it a lot now for near-infrared photography with an R72 filter usually sitting on it. The F series were the first autofocus lenses in the Pentax line-up, and the optics of some are carried over from the A-series lenses, but the plasticky and cheap-feeling aspect and ugly aesthetics were such a huge departure from the handsome and rugged A-series lenses. The cameras got better in the 1990s (the PZ-1 was a top camera of its time with amazing technology) but the lenses didn't follow suit (despite autofocus and power zoom being new and much desired).
07-21-2021, 10:44 PM - 8 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

They're not all ugly and plasticky!

07-21-2021, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Functionally excellent in a beautiful form
07-22-2021, 12:20 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
I have four F lenses, none of them are plasticky, perhaps you confuse them with the FA series. As I am fond of these lenses I feel offended you call them plasticky, because they absolutely are not, they have strange grey colour, but that is to fit in with the SF series camera's, which have a bit more plastic than the lenses. I have only two FA lenses, 28-70 (Japan) and 28-105 (Taiwan) of which the last one could be mistaken for a child's toy, except for the good results it gives. But they are not the strongest or heaviest lenses Pentax designed.

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I had one of the zooms once. I agree with the first part of your sentiment but not the second. IMHO they were the low point of Pentax lens design.

Sorry.............probably not what you wanted to read
Indeed not something I want to read. I guess you are also mistaken them for the FA series...

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 07-22-2021 at 12:24 AM. Reason: second quote added
07-22-2021, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
sbc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had this lens too. Super sharp! I gave it up for the DA*300 which in turned made way for the DA*60-250.
I had to constantly touch up the exterior with grey paint.

---------- Post added 07-22-21 at 17:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I have four F lenses, none of them are plasticky, perhaps you confuse them with the FA series. As I am fond of these lenses I feel offended you call them plasticky, because they absolutely are not, they have strange grey colour, but that is to fit in with the SF series camera's, which have a bit more plastic than the lenses. I have only two FA lenses, 28-70 (Japan) and 28-105 (Taiwan) of which the last one could be mistaken for a child's toy, except for the good results it gives. But they are not the strongest or heaviest lenses Pentax designed.

Indeed not something I want to read. I guess you are also mistaken them for the FA series...
Not to you but to many in the forum they are. And it is tacky like h*** which is why I have fond memories of them. They have characters never seen before and might never be seen again in other Pentax series. Like the A lenses, they are colourful. Pentax used all the basic colours. There are white, blue, yellow, green, reddish orange and on * lenses, gold.

The latest series is so boring.

07-22-2021, 02:42 AM   #8
Forum Member

I have 3: 50mm 1.7, 17-28mm and 70-210mm. All are quite different but affordable and consistent lenses. I don't subscribe to having all the exquisite lenses as they would cost me a fortune and I'm no professional. I like them all and they serve me well. Maybe not pretty, but that doesn't win the race.
07-22-2021, 02:58 AM   #9
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been thinking about an F collection for a bit, I quite like them, more than the FA series. Some of them are difficult to obtain in good condition. I think I'd aim for the first to be the 135 and the 50, which flavour I don't know, any I guess. Then when I've got enough, perhaps pick up a 2nd hand K1. It's very much a greyed out option on the camera roadmap but who knows.
07-22-2021, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have these F Series lenses:

50/1.7, 50/2.8 Macro, 85/2.8 Soft, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.8, *300/4.5 ED

These primes are not plasticky and the F50/1.7 is better built than the A Series 50/1.7, as it does not have the plastic aperture ring assembly.

Yes they are a bit odd looking, but that was the 80's...

Phil.
07-22-2021, 03:50 AM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of the posts here differentiating between the F series and FA series confuse me. I have a F and a FA 50mm 1.7 sitting here in front of me and in terms of construction quality they appear identical. Yes, slightly different moulding but same materials.
Are you that are preferring the F series referring to the silver kit zooms in the FA range?.
I have the FA 135mm 2.8 and the FA 100 2.8 macro and I feel they look ( in terms of materials) identical to images of F series.
Same goes for my FA 50mm 1.4
Is there a greater history of failure in the FA range?
07-22-2021, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yes they are a bit odd looking, but that was the 80's...
Yeah if I dropped one in the horse paddock I might have trouble finding it !
07-22-2021, 04:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got my first FA, the 100/f2.8 Macro and it’s built like a tank!
07-22-2021, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote

I agree, the F series looked plasticky but only because of the gray colour and styling that tried to look more 'modern' than the previous A-series. I have owned a few F lenses and remember them as very solid, dense and heavy (as they use real glass lens elements). The only issue they have is the rubber grips often start peeling off and need to be reglued.

The cheaper consumer grade FA lenses on the other hand are very plasticky and lightweight and come across as cheap and nasty - although mostly they do actually perform well optically.
07-22-2021, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #15
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The cheaper consumer grade FA lenses on the other hand are very plasticky and lightweight and come across as cheap and nasty - although mostly they do actually perform well optically.
I weighed them and indeed the FA 50 1.7 is 30g lighter. (173 and 203g)