Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2021, 03:24 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K28 f3.5 Vs M28 f2.0

I recently acquired a M28 f2.0 and did a simple test against another 28 I have, K28 f3.5. I would like to share the test images here, hoping it might be useful for those looking for sample images from both lenses.

There are 2 groups. One is a minimum focus distance test (focus on the coin). Another one is infinity distance test (focus on the building in the middle). Both are daytime test.
I forgot to do the test using f4. Sorry about that.
Shoot with K3, using raw, ISO100. Adobe Natural Profile and Auto White Balance when export them to JPG for file download and PNG for image comparison.

Slideshow of the comparison: Compare Pentax K28 f3.5 vs M28 f2.0 - Google Photos
Select the first image to start. The next and previous controller are in the middle, right and left end of the image.
If you zoom in, wait a bit, drag it around for a couple times so every part of the image is loaded properly.

K28 f3.5 file download link: K28 f3.5 - Google Photos
M28 f2 file download link: M28 f2.0 - Google Photos
Each image = 4000×6016 px | .jpg

My 2 cents:
If I didn't know the lenses' age, I would think they are images from modern lenses.
Talk about daytime shooting, both perform very well. They look almost identical from the thumbnails, but you can see the minor differences when view the larger one.
The M28 f2 will get my vote for the minimal focus distance test, but by a hairline, and it is not a surprise when consider it reputation. The K28 f3.5 is in fact surprise me how good it looks even when see them side by side on f3.5.
For the infinity focus test, it is really hard to tell which one I like more. The rendering from both looks wonderful. But keep in mind, the K28 f3.5 is a lot cheaper and with a good reputation for landscape.
I get the M28 f2 lens mainly because it is fairly rare, and I plan to use it for night street photo, so small size + f2 are definitely a good thing to have. I have a shorter test version at night during the time and condition I plan to use the lenses for, which I don't think it's useful here.

Interest to know your though and feel free to post your image from K28 f3.5 and M28 f2.0. Since both lenses are make for film, but I use a K3, It would be nice to see the rendering on film too.

-edit-
Testing methodologies link for close focus test.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 07-24-2021 at 03:49 PM.
07-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the M28 f2 and it was wonderful on film. I sold it when I switched to digital but I remember it’s close focus ability was very good. I can’t compare to the K28 3.5 but the 3.5 is much more readily available if you are assessing rarity.
07-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
The K28 f3.5 is in fact surprise me how good it looks even when see them side by side on f3.5.
The reputation of the Pentax-K 28/3.5 along with its optical twin, the S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 is solidly established. I own the S-M-C Takumar version and it definitely lives up to its reputation. I own several vintage 70s and 80s vintage 28mm lenses and should probably stage a shoot-out at some point.

Steve
07-23-2021, 03:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The reputation of the Pentax-K 28/3.5 along with its optical twin, the S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 is solidly established. I own the S-M-C Takumar version and it definitely lives up to its reputation. I own several vintage 70s and 80s vintage 28mm lenses and should probably stage a shoot-out at some point.

Steve
Yes a shoot would be very interesting,
I would love to see the results.
I have a Pentax K 28/3.5. It’s on my MX.
I need to put it on my K-3 III and try it out

07-23-2021, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TimR Quote
Yes a shoot would be very interesting,
I would love to see the results.
I have a Pentax K 28/3.5. It’s on my MX.
I need to put it on my K-3 III and try it out
There is something wrong with the K28/3.5 shots, the coin is badly pixelated when I zoom in, almost as if it was either cropped out of a much bigger image, or saved in the lowest quality JPEG possible. The M28/2 is a much higher resolution shot, as you can read all the detail on the coin, as a result it makes the comparison somewhat unfair.. Edit note, it was the way I zoomed in, not the images

It would be especially interesting if we could also gather up acme additional lenses, 28 mm lenses were the norm for wide angle back in the day

If you post the dimensions of your set up, front to back and camera position relative to the near middle and far subjects we could post equivalent shots.

although I don’t have a Pentax 28 mm ( I really should get one or two) I have a Kirion 28/2, tamron Adaptall 2 28/2.5, sigma mini wide II 28/2.8, and several different vivitar 28/2.5 lenses.

The issue is some how getting every one to shoot with the same body, or a similar resolution sensor. To really show them off, ideally a K3 for ultimate resolution, and a K1 for edge to edge performance.

We can dream on but I doubt it will ever happen.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 07-23-2021 at 03:48 AM.
07-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boy they're close, but I think I give a nod to the K28. It seems a hair sharper to me, but perhaps I'm just seeing things.
07-23-2021, 11:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

If you post the dimensions of your set up, front to back and camera position relative to the near middle and far subjects we could post equivalent shots.
That really sound like a good community project. I will come up with a diagram and see how it goes.

---------- Post added 07-23-21 at 11:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Boy they're close, but I think I give a nod to the K28. It seems a hair sharper to me, but perhaps I'm just seeing things.
yep, Sharpness from K28 is for real!

---------- Post added 07-23-21 at 11:41 PM ----------

I own several vintage 70s and 80s vintage 28mm lenses and should probably stage a shoot-out at some point.
Would love to see them.

---------- Post added 07-23-21 at 11:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
I had the M28 f2 and it was wonderful on film...
Its good performance on FF is a welcome news for me. I plan to get a FF mirrorless with a K adapter so I can use Pentax lenses mostly legacy manual focus lenses such as the M28 f2 Instead of a more expensive autofocus lenses like FA31.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 07-23-2021 at 11:50 PM.
07-24-2021, 02:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just update the with testing methodologies link.
07-24-2021, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Thanks for taking the time to shot these and then upload them for us to look at. I love these back to back lens comparison tests.

I enjoyed looking around them at 100% magnification.

To my eye, the M-28 looks a bit better at the wider apertures, but by F8 there is very very little to split them. If anything, at F8 I think the centre of the K-28 is slightly sharper, but at the edges the M-28 is a touch better.
07-24-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The reputation of the Pentax-K 28/3.5 along with its optical twin, the S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 is solidly established.
Steve
But not identical twins.
07-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
M 28 f2 is looking very good here.

I wish Pentax had made a 24mm f2 in the M series, or at least an f2.8. Something between the 20mm and the 28's would have been nice. I know there's the K & A 24mm lenses but they don't really interest me for some reason, probably because they don't seem especially great performing (although not bad) (from the sample I've seen, I've not owned either of them).
07-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been chewing over whether or not to get a M or A 28mm f2.0. This thread is doing my bank balance no favours!

I consider the K 28mm f3.5 to be the standard to beat for overall image quality on APSC in this focal range. Combined with its easy to focus nature and relatively inexpensive price the only downsides are that it is relatively large and heavy and some may want a bit faster aperture. My F 28mm f2.8 runs it close, and when stopped down one would be hard put to tell the difference and I suspect the FA would be the same. These of course add the convenience of the A setting and AF. My A 28mm f2.8 can achieve similar results but I find it a b%*ger to focus through the viewfinder. Others may of course consider the K f2.0, but I have discounted it due to its price, rarity, size and weight. It may suit a beast ;like the K1 but its not for me.

The appeal to me of either the M or A f2.0 is that they are both quite compact but still have a good reputation for IQ. Prices seem to vary quite a lot too especially for the M model. A M or A f2.0 would sit pretty sweetly on my K3 or KP. Decisions, decisions......
07-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
The appeal to me of either the M or A f2.0 is that they are both quite compact but still have a good reputation for IQ. Prices seem to vary quite a lot too especially for the M model. A M or A f2.0 would sit pretty sweetly on my K3 or KP. Decisions, decisions......
If you can find one in good condition and good enough price, I would say go for it. Either A or M 28 f2.0, both are considered somewhat rare and good. You already have the F28. It is a good one. I used to have one. I never hesitate to use it wide open, as so to the M28 f2 and K28 f3.5 after see the test. I buy my copy with no hesitation the first day I saw it. I didn't plan to buy a lens because I already have the K28 and I know it is a good one. But the M28 f2 looks too good, too new, to let it go. The last owner seem to take very good care of his gear. IMO, these things don't lose value unless it is a bad copy with fungus and too many nasty things inside. If, for some reason, we don't like it, we can resale in no less than the price we buy.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 07-24-2021 at 03:29 PM.
08-02-2021, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
If you can find one in good condition and good enough price, I would say go for it. Either A or M 28 f2.0, both are considered somewhat rare and good. You already have the F28. It is a good one. I used to have one. I never hesitate to use it wide open, as so to the M28 f2 and K28 f3.5 after see the test. I buy my copy with no hesitation the first day I saw it. I didn't plan to buy a lens because I already have the K28 and I know it is a good one. But the M28 f2 looks too good, too new, to let it go. The last owner seem to take very good care of his gear. IMO, these things don't lose value unless it is a bad copy with fungus and too many nasty things inside. If, for some reason, we don't like it, we can resale in no less than the price we buy.
You have proved to be a malign influence on my bank account! I have just ordered an A 28mm f2.0. If it is a good as you say I will hold you forever in high esteem! On the other hand........

Joking aside, one has been in my sights for a while now, and really you have only added the final nail of persuasion, into the coffin of decision.
08-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
You have proved to be a malign influence on my bank account! I have just ordered an A 28mm f2.0. If it is a good as you say I will hold you forever in high esteem! On the other hand........

Joking aside, one has been in my sights for a while now, and really you have only added the final nail of persuasion, into the coffin of decision.
Don't forget to show us what it can do.