Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I would get one of these. It is a lot more versatile than half a dozen extension tubes. Getting the magnification you want is a matter of turning a knob. It also has a rail that makes focusing easy.
Can you tilt or rotate the front element? That way, you could change the focal plane and play with perspective. Do things that the large format folks do...

07-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #17
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I suppose it comes down to if you want aperture control or not. With the Helicoid it's stopdown aperture only.
I don't know a lot about it. What I do know is that I will be using an M lens and I use the green button. So, with my set up, it really doesn't matter because both the Auto extension tubes and the Helicoid will only be using stopdown metering - right ?

I am also considering the bellows - I'm just thinking it over when it comes to portability...

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 07-27-2021 at 01:12 PM.
07-28-2021, 11:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dmach47 Quote
Can you tilt or rotate the front element? That way, you could change the focal plane and play with perspective. Do things that the large format folks do...
No, unfortunately not with the Pentax Auto Bellows A that I have, or any other Pentax bellows that I know of.

The kind folks at Novoflex can help with this if you have a thousand euros or so to spend. The bellows, camera adapter and lens adapter are sold separately. Yes, they do K mount.

Universal Tilt-/Shift Bellows
07-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both options. I really thought the helicoid was going to be the ultimate, but once I got it I remembered how much I dislike using non-A lenses.
It's not the pain of stop down metering that gets to me, it's the lack of EXIF aperture data.

So when I saw a set of Kenko auto tubes, I went for it. I prefer them. However, both options were too expensive for what they give me, and I more often just use a 1:1 or 1:2 macro lens on it's own (aka I don't use either very much).

If you're already used to stop down and green button, just get another set of tubes if they are cheap.

Oh, and if you haven't played around with a teleconverter in your macro setup, it's worth doing and/or researching. You may already have something in your kit to get even more magnification.

07-28-2021, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a cheap, terrible teleconverter that I took the optics out of just so I could use it as an "A" extension tube... no green button there with the right lenses...

-Eric
07-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I have the PentaxA bellows, an original Pentax 100mm ext tube, a set of original Pentax tubes like the one you have, another off brand set. All these are marked "Automatic" which only means that they have the mechanical aperture linkage.
I've used them all with limited success. Takes a lot of time, so you better feed the bug with some Valium before you try to get a well composed shot.
Luckily i found some other items in boxes with unassorted camera stuff I bought for nearly nothing. One set of tubes with the electrical contacts for aperture control from the body (the Pentax A novelty from the mid 80's). These are unbranded, just marked "Made in Japan". And some macro magnifying lenses to put in front of the lens. 49mm filter threaded. I had read that these magnifiers often were lousy, degrading IQ to an unacceptable degree. Mine were original Pentax and Konica. I was happily surprised when i tried them on my D-FA 100mm Macro.
So when I want more magnification than the sole macro lens provides, I do like UncleVanya recommends. Put on one or more of the exension tubes and one or even both magnifying lenses. Works a charm, as easy to use as the sole lens (manual focus though). The rest of all my macro thingies lies idle in a drawer.

Kjell
Attached Images

Last edited by bilybianca; 07-28-2021 at 01:58 PM.
07-28-2021, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I have a cheap, terrible teleconverter that I took the optics out of just so I could use it as an "A" extension tube... no green button there with the right lenses...

-Eric

This....

I did exactly the same thing. Works a treat. This is my DFA100mm/f2.8 with the deglassed 2x TC. Tiny Jumping spider, his head is about 2.5mm across.

And it's not just for "macro" works well on Telephoto lenses to reduce minimum focus distance, with a tele, you want to photography some small bird in a bush, but they are too close, works well with my FA*600/f4 as it's minimum ditance is 8metres or so, although, there is a slight vignetting on the K-1.

07-28-2021, 09:40 PM   #23
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
This....

I did exactly the same thing. Works a treat. This is my DFA100mm/f2.8 with the deglassed 2x TC. Tiny Jumping spider, his head is about 2.5mm across.

And it's not just for "macro" works well on Telephoto lenses to reduce minimum focus distance, with a tele, you want to photography some small bird in a bush, but they are too close, works well with my FA*600/f4 as it's minimum ditance is 8metres or so, although, there is a slight vignetting on the K-1.

Both of you are very creative and talented - both with your physical lens modification and your photos!

Only 2.5 mm - oh my! How small that is, indeed !

Jumping spiders can be QUITE SMALL INDEED !

Here's one that I took on a U.S. Penny! Of course, not quite as magnified, but it does show how small these jumping spiders can be !

07-28-2021, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

I have tried both as well as removal of glass for a 2x teleconverter to make it a auto stop down extension tube as well as macro close up lenses.
Macro close up lenses and extension tubes are very limiting in the range of focus so it limits composition and how the insect is photographed (can be too close up or too far depending on size of insect )
A teleconverter degrades the IQ a bit, but does not suffer from the same limitation of the former two.
It does suffer from light loss (hence flash power needs to go up )

I find that I like the Pentax Q7 with original PK adapter + macro lens to be my favorite.
There is no limitation on working distance and the pseudo crop factor works well.
With the original PK>Q adapter, flash sync can be above 1/250 too.
Taken with the Q7

07-29-2021, 03:32 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I recently picked up a 12 inch LED ring light with stand for less than twenty dollars. That is a lot less than a proper ring flash. The target market is the selfie crowd but seems useful for photography as well, including macro work. The one I have lets you change the intensity and color of the light. A quick test was promising.

There are smaller LED lights that attach to the front of a lens, but they are more expensive.

08-02-2021, 05:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
+1 to this one. I did the same with a 1.4x televonverter. It has Auto aperture, contacts and screw drive. Works with my DAF100 (and like others noted, with long zooms and teles) like a charm.

08-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
+1 to this one. I did the same with a 1.4x televonverter. It has Auto aperture, contacts and screw drive. Works with my DAF100 (and like others noted, with long zooms and teles) like a charm.
I also did likewise, but I have noticed that the opening is smaller than the wide open DFA 100 aperture appears. I’m pretty sure it’s reducing the aperture further than if it was a wide open tube, but likely no more than one f stop. I need to do a free controlled tests.