Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2021, 08:33 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens hood Takumar 83mm F1.9

Dear forum,

The Takumar 83mm f1.9 is a rare bird to come across. I've been lucky to have a copy in my posession for many years now. Finding the original hood for it is even harder, or lets say more confusing.

First some facts:
- It is based on the same design as the Asahiflex version. Some copies are even all-chrome but with m42 mount.
- it was produced from Dec 1957 to Dec 1959.
- Estimate that some 1000 copies were made (according to 1 : 1.9 / f=83 (322) - Takumar Field Guide)
- It has a 49mm filter thread vs 46mm found on the other lenses of the time (55mm, 58mm, 105mm and 135mm (all refering to the preset, first versions of these lenses).
- The hoods of the area both chrome and black, you could unscrew the chrome version in order to slip in filters.

From this one would think that the two piece hood for the 83mm was rare. Well, that I am not so sure about anymore. My research shows that the two piece hood is more common that one would think, since it was the same hood as the one that came with the 105mm auto-takumar lens. But to find that out, I did it the hard way: I bought a hood off eBay from a seller who claims he was selling one that was exclusive for that rare lens. I bid on it and the final price was ok for a hood, 45 + shipping and import charges. When I got the hood I was confused:
- The only text on the hood was "ASAHI OPT Co. Japan"
- The hood was shallower than the 46mm version I have
- And also shallower than the 49mm Asahiflex version that I.

I asked the seller and he was very sure about that it was the correct hood regardless of what I had found out. I even contacted another seller who is asking 250 for his rare hood and asked how he had concluded that it was so rare. He refered to his own research. BTW: I am not in anyway discrediting the sellers, I don't have any indication that they are trying to dupe anyone.

Then I came across two other sales adds, one in the US for 20$ and one from Germany for 23$. I bought the Germany one, and it arrived today. It is flawless, included the all-black case that shows no signs of wear or use. Anyhow...

Included are some photos of the hoods in question. From left to rigth: (The lens in question seen in the background).
  • 46mm hood
  • 49mm hood sold as "for 55mm lens"
  • 49mm hood sold as "for Takumar 83mm"
  • 49mm hood marked Asahiflex Takumar 1:1.9 f=83mm

User manuals from the time does not really go into details about which hoods were made for which lens, except the manual for the Pentax S2. In that manual you can read that the Takumar 83mm f1.9 shares the hood with the very common Auto-Takumar 105mm. See enclosed.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
07-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe the two center 49mm hoods are likely later versions of the marked/named hood on the right for the f1.9 83mm lens; simplified and less expensive to mfg. design the possible reason for a change.
07-30-2021, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the detailed comparison Baard-Einar. It is always a pleasure to read these kinds of posts.