Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #1

Sigma 35-105mm Zoom-Alpha II

I picked this lens up at a pawn shop attached to a partially functioning ME super. Does anyone know anything about it? I can't seem to find anything online other than a couple basic reviews and ebay listings.

Here's a link to one of the above mentioned reviews: The Sigma MF 35-105 mm f/ 3.5-4.5 MC Zoom-Alpha II Lens. Specs. MTF Charts. User Reviews.

I'll post pictures later(I'm on my work computer at the moment). This lens has a third ring(between focus and aperture) on it which locks at the "normal" mark, then has marks 1:10 1:8 1:6 and 1:5 which I presume correspond to macro ratios at minimum focus. Nothing else on the lens indicates macro though. And as expected, when you unlock this ring and rotate it, the focus distance decreases dramatically. Additionally, I find it a bit odd but I guess it makes sense for the design: if I set focus to minimum and the third ring to 1:5, then shoot the same subject at 35mm and 105mm, with the subject in focus it fills the frame almost identically.

07-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma MF 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 MC Zoom-Alpha II, Overview, Tech Specs, Sample Photos | Photo Lenses Database

Nikon version for sale in new condition on eBay. That version is marked “normal” and then has the macro ranges on that ring.
07-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This type of close focusing function was not uncommon on manual focus lenses in the 1980s. Although the implementation could vary.
Later when AF came the close focus ability was usually fully integrated in the focus ring and zoom lens design became more sophisticated.

SMC Pentax-M 40-80mm F2.8-4 has a similar function.
07-30-2021, 03:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Might be a fun purchase, if it was cheap enough.