Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2021, 09:31 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New DA*16-50/2.8 PLM arrived in my B&M store

Just had word from my local B&M store that my pre-ordered DA*16-50/2.8 PLM has arrived and is waiting for me to be picked up. I'll be going there first thing tomorrow to collect it. First impressions to follow..

07-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that is a lot faster than I expected. look forward to hearing your report.
07-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera Canada -- the largest Pentax retailer in Canada -- lists it as "In Stock" at CAD $1,799.

They are a B&M store in London, Ontario, and an online seller. They usually stock most Pentax gear.

- Craig
07-30-2021, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too rich for my blood. Look forward to your report though so I can live vicariously.

07-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Just had word from my local B&M store that my pre-ordered DA*16-50/2.8 PLM has arrived and is waiting for me to be picked up. I'll be going there first thing tomorrow to collect it. First impressions to follow..
Do you have an existing sdm 16-50 for comparison?
07-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exciting stuff. I'm hoping to see some nice deals of it bundled with the K-3 III at some point as a kit - helluva kit it would be.
07-30-2021, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Do you have an existing sdm 16-50 for comparison?
Yes I do, although my copy is no longer in pristine shape and converted to screw drive. But I'll certainly look at both side to side.

First breakfast and then off to the store.

07-31-2021, 05:56 AM - 5 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First impressions straight out of the box are great. Judging from the back LCD, IQ improvement is confirmed compared to my SDM version. I'm not going to post images yet, as my few so far mediocre shots are perfectly in line with available on-line comparisons. Excellent corner sharpness at f/2.8 across the entire zoom range.

A few things that I hadn't noticed so far though:
- hood: the new model has a different hood that is not compatible: PH-RBN77 (the old one was PH-RBJ 77mm). It is slightly less wide and also a tad shorter. No more than 1mm on all sides, but it makes the PLM ever so slightly narrower in the bag. The new hood also feels slightly studier, but that might just be because it's new out of the box and the old one has suffered.
- extension to 50mm: it seems the new one extends slightly less (one barrel vs two on the SDM), barely one mm I would say.

But those are mere details compared with the 20mm length difference and the considerably fatter base.

- Zoom action on the PLM is slightly smoother, and I remember my SDM being even tighter out of the box than it is now.
- Focus ring is tighter, but my SDM has been converted to screw drive, so that might be a factor.
- Overall the lens build quality feels better, similar to the DA*11-18 as expected.
- Focus is very silent indeed, and very snappy. Note I've tested it on good light on the K-3III.

Will add to this once I take it out for some photography.
07-31-2021, 12:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First breakfast and then off to the store.
What? A real Pentaxian would have skipped breakfast and headed directly to the store, perhaps with coffee in hand. Once there, pound on the door to be let in before opening time.

Will add to this once I take it out for some photography.
Thanks for your initial assessment. Looking forward to your images.

- Craig
07-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

So Canada gets it first! I wonder how that happened.
08-01-2021, 04:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
So Canada gets it first! I wonder how that happened.
OP writing here. I'm actually in Belgium, in the heart of old Europe.
08-01-2021, 05:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OP writing here. I'm actually in Belgium, in the heart of old Europe.
Lucky you! Australian pre-orders are not expected until September.
08-02-2021, 05:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You would think Australia being closer would get to buy them first.

08-02-2021, 07:30 AM   #14
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am still waiting here for a post from your new lens!
08-02-2021, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
I am still waiting here for a post from your new lens!
Sorry about that. I have a few images on the card in the camera, but haven't fired up my home PC yet. We've been working from home for over a year now, and my home office space is taken up by work stuff, which means I just don't get around to clearing up enough space for the image processing.

I have tested the lens at f/2.8 for close-up photography of some flowers in the garden, and came away impressed with the bokeh. It so nice, that I might forego packing a fixed focal length lens for that purpose in future. The lens is really good wide open, but I already wrote that.

I the news thread I also wrote that handling the lens on a non-gripped camera is surprisingly comfortable. Normally for such a large and heavy lens, using a grip would seem most practical, but the lens is just beefy enough to align nicely with the bottom of a gripless camera, and as such is can rest flat in the extended palm of a left hand. That makes it easy to hold in a balanced way without the weight of the grip.

One more thing is distortion. At 16mm the lens is not distortion free, as can be expected. There is some barrel distortion and a little bit of moustache too. Much less than in the old version though. I'm looking forward to a lens profile in Adobe Lightroom for this and to see the impact of this correction on corner resolution to evaluate the lens for architecture. I am optimistic about this though.