Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2021, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
the PZ film bodies are about the only bodies supporting all power zoom functions. I find power zoom to be really helpful on the FA* lenses, as mentioned above, focus is extremely fast.
It's a real shame the full suite of power zoom functions aren't available on Pentax DSLRs. The image size tracking and zoom clip functions are still impressive and would be useful today.

09-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
It's a real shame the full suite of power zoom functions aren't available on Pentax DSLRs. The image size tracking and zoom clip functions are still impressive and would be useful today.
I've wondered about that, as it seems to be trivial to implement on today's cameras, but none of the current crop of lenses have power zooms, so that would have to be added to all the lenses.
And I'd have to wonder how much of a redesign that would require (surely more than "throw some zoom motors in there").

Having a cool set of features like that limited mostly to a subset of mediocre 90s lenses would be awful and there aren't many of the good PZ ones floating around, I don't think...

-Eric
09-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I've wondered about that, as it seems to be trivial to implement on today's cameras, but none of the current crop of lenses have power zooms, so that would have to be added to all the lenses.
And I'd have to wonder how much of a redesign that would require (surely more than "throw some zoom motors in there").

Having a cool set of features like that limited mostly to a subset of mediocre 90s lenses would be awful and there aren't many of the good PZ ones floating around, I don't think...

-Eric
I wasn't thinking of reintroducing the features to new lenses (although that would be nice in a perfect world) but simply enabling the current Pentax DSLR cameras to use those functions. Surely writing a bit of software wouldn't be that hard or expensive.
I'd love to be able to use the image size tracking and zoom clip auto zoom features on my FA*28-70 and FA*80-200 lenses (which are certainly not mediocre!).
09-12-2021, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I'd love to be able to use the image size tracking and zoom clip auto zoom features on my FA*28-70 and FA*80-200 lenses (which are certainly not mediocre!).
For sure! Wouldn't that be great with the current top-notch Pentax DSLR cameras? Imagine how terrific this could be with modern lenses having silent AF motors!

09-12-2021, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
No technical reason why not, given that most non-interchangeable lens cameras have at least got power zoom now. Given that a lot of modern SLRs and mirrorless cameras shoot video as well as stills it may be time for a revival of the tech.
09-12-2021, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
No technical reason why not, given that most non-interchangeable lens cameras have at least got power zoom now. Given that a lot of modern SLRs and mirrorless cameras shoot video as well as stills it may be time for a revival of the tech.
Power zoom lenses are often used for video. It would be ironic if updated firmware for the k3iii made it a video star. Lol.
03-22-2022, 05:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

With any luck, the LA-KE1 adapter should enable zoom control from the bodies - the 70-200 2.8 is supported on the adapter, hoping the 28-70 2.8 is too.
My 28-70, the power zoom works on the K-5 with no problems, but the Auto Zoom function is missing - It would be a great function to have in video and in stills on a K-1 replacement, especially if it could be combined with the AF's face recognition.

03-22-2022, 06:21 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
With any luck, the LA-KE1 adapter should enable zoom control from the bodies - the 70-200 2.8 is supported on the adapter, hoping the 28-70 2.8 is too.
My 28-70, the power zoom works on the K-5 with no problems, but the Auto Zoom function is missing - It would be a great function to have in video and in stills on a K-1 replacement, especially if it could be combined with the AF's face recognition.
Update for the Pentax-Sony E LA-KE1 adapter - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com

The D FA 70-200/2.8 is supported but does not have power zoom right? Did you mean the FA* 80-200/2.8 or did I misunderstand you? The FA* 28-70/2.8 is not supported as of v02 firmware but future updates may change that. I am afraid I don’t own a power zoom that is supported (I do have an old fa 70-200 f4-5.6 with power zoom).
03-22-2022, 08:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I've only ever had one power-zoom lens and it was a piece of cr*p. It came with a a camera I wanted and I think I sold it for €10 so I wouldn't have it cluttering up the place with it's sub-par optics.
03-22-2022, 11:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Pentax did offer one or two PZ lenses that were of the less expensive "kit" variety. At least one such did not receive very good test reviews back then, while others varied in test results from fairly good to very good. Of course, the FA* PZ lenses are of the high-level breed. Some of the slower aperture models could deliver very good imaging, though in many cases surpassed by more current models. But all imaging is not necessarily about the most up-to-date optical results as in sharpness wide open, etc. Sometimes under good lighting and not wide open, a less than stellar-rated lens can deliver surprisingly good image quality, and the power zoom feature can be a useful aid in nailing shots of moving subjects by its activation of AF via engaging the zoom for framing, making AF much faster.
05-23-2022, 05:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Update for the Pentax-Sony E LA-KE1 adapter - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com

The D FA 70-200/2.8 is supported but does not have power zoom right? Did you mean the FA* 80-200/2.8 or did I misunderstand you? The FA* 28-70/2.8 is not supported as of v02 firmware but future updates may change that. I am afraid I don’t own a power zoom that is supported (I do have an old fa 70-200 f4-5.6 with power zoom).
I was going by the facebook posts of the team behind it, listing the FA* 80-200 2.8 as being on their supported list.
I'm watching prices for them at the moment, paired to the FA* 28-70 2.8 that I already have, both together will make great flexible video lenses, for when I don't need anything faster, for which I have Primes.