Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2021, 02:38 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best filters for landscape photography

Hello everyone, as many of you know I have been an Ambassador for Formatt-Hitech for 5 years. I left FH last March, for reasons that I'll obviously not share, and I have been looking for new filters to replace my FH kit since.

To do so, as I always do when I have to select my gear, I took the most thorough and "scientific" approach I could - so, I set off to do the most comprehensive filter review I could, and select my filters according to the results.

I contacted the biggest eight brands on the market producing glass filters, and I ended up with six brands to test. Here are my results, which I hope you'll find interesting:

BEST FILTERS FOR LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY | Vieri Bottazzini

Enjoy the read, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Best regards,

Vieri

08-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great write up, very thorough. Thank you for posting.
08-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+1. Very useful to those of us looking at a new set of filters.
08-11-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Good evaluation of color casts and sharpness. I'm surprised about the evaluation of sharpness for filters, as I never observed sharpness being lower when using filters , but, I did have lots of fringing added by the filters I used. Also I'm surprised that the ease of use and sturdiness of filter holders isn't reported. Personally, I use a filter holder from one brand and filters from two other brands, simply because I've found only one filter holder that is by design (concept) superior to others.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-11-2021 at 01:24 PM.
08-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice write up. Thank you.
08-11-2021, 11:41 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Great write up, very thorough. Thank you for posting.
Thank you, happy you enjoyed the read!!

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
+1. Very useful to those of us looking at a new set of filters.
Thank you very much, happy to be of help!

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Good evaluation of color casts and sharpness. I'm surprised about the evaluation of sharpness for filters, as I never observed sharpness being lower when using filters , but, I did have lots of fringing added by the filters I used. Also I'm surprised that the ease of use and sturdiness of filter holders isn't reported. Personally, I use a filter holder from one brand and filters from two other brands, simply because I've found only one filter holder that is by design (concept) superior to others.
Thank yo very much, glad you found it useful. Sharpness is a concern, when adding more glass in front of your lens. Resin filters are not particularly good at sharpness; filters that are not perfectly flat, glass or otherwise, lose sharpness; adding more glass surfaces might result in sharpness loss; and so on. Thing is, with the cameras of yesteryear it was much less evident; with today's gear, both cameras and lenses, this starts to become more of an issue.

About ease of use etc, reading the article you might notice that a second part, dedicated to holders, is coming. That will be dedicated to analysing the issues you mentioned.

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Nice write up. Thank you.
Thank you very much, happy to help!

Best regards,

Vieri
08-11-2021, 11:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
About ease of use etc, reading the article you might notice that a second part, dedicated to holders, is coming. That will be dedicated to analysing the issues you mentioned.
Ah, excellent. I look forward to the second part. Many thanks.

08-13-2021, 12:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ah, excellent. I look forward to the second part. Many thanks.
You are very welcome! Best regards,

Vieri
08-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing your interesting article.
On a related note, I've often wondered about coloured filters that are used by some b&w film photographers. What are they used for? Some kind of contrast enhancement?
08-25-2021, 03:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by artrasa Quote
Thanks for sharing your interesting article.
On a related note, I've often wondered about coloured filters that are used by some b&w film photographers. What are they used for? Some kind of contrast enhancement?
A quick Google search returned this, better than I could ever say it: Using colour filters for black and white photography

Best regards,

Vieri