Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2021, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wondered about the 20-40 for many years and thought why? Such a short range. Why bother? Then I finally bought one, and love it. Don't you also have the 15 Limited? (if not, get it) I now find the 16-50 often stays home, and the 15, 20-40, and 55-300 PLM is my go to walk about kit.

I don't understand the 11-18 versus 20-40. They don't overlap. You need both if you want wide angle to less wide angle zooming. The 11-18 is on my long term buy list, but can't do it at the moment. I'd happily add it to the kit, but I wouldn't give up on the 20-40 in the process.

08-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I've got a 10-20/3.5 and still think about the 11-18 all the time. I'll never be able to afford it...This year alone I've bought a K-3 III, DA 1.4x Rear Converter (Used Photo Pro), DA 40 Ltd (MPB), DA* 16-50 SDM (very good deal on eBay), and today a LX (Facebook). Plus a Fujifilm X-T20 and several film cameras (Nikon F2, Kodak Retinas etc) and misc lenses/converters...
looks like you are planning to have some fun
08-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
. . . Don't you also have the 15 Limited? . . .
yes I have all of the SMC DA Limiteds primes and all of the SMC FA Limited primes ( MIJ ) plus more lenses

check out my profile for the full list
08-16-2021, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do like my DA 18-135mm lens, which does a fine job between 20-40mm, and it is certainly compact for what it is. Great for reducing the need for lens changing. But I did nonetheless acquire the DA 20-40mm LTD. Main reason, its very compact design with such a fine build, which suits my KP in every way, and it offers f/2.8 at the short end. I often take along with it the remarkably small DA 15mm f/4 and either the DA 70 or FA 77mm LTDs. This kit makes for very light carrying with loads of quality instead of loads of weight.

08-17-2021, 01:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Truth be told, you don't need it. You have plenty of primes to cover the 20-40mm range. You do not have a top quality zoom in that range, however. So it would seem that you do want it.
08-17-2021, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
. . . You have plenty of primes to cover the 20-40mm range. You do not have a top quality zoom in that range,. . .
so you don't consider the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR a top quality zoom ??

It is one of the major reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on the 20-40 mm before

I wonder if others have the same opinion of the 16-85mm

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-17-2021 at 08:03 AM.
08-17-2021, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

As always with LBA temptations the solution is to buy it, give it a try, and sell it on if you're not convinced.

08-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
As always with LBA temptations the solution is to buy it, give it a try, and sell it on if you're not convinced.
selling photography equipment [ for me at least ]

08-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
so you don't consider the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR a top quality zoom ??

[...]

I wonder if others have the same opinion of the 16-85mm
I have:

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR (6 years)
Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR (3 years)
SMC Pentax-DA 17-70mm F4 AL [IF] SDM (12 years)

I have used the Pentax 16-85mm for 6 years but I have come to the conclusion that my copy is decentred, especially noticeable in the range 60-85mm. That seems to be a problem with many copies of this lens.
The Pentax 20-40mm is the sharpest lens (of these three) at aperture 8 and gives fine images. The Pentax 17-70mm is my favourite lens because of its range and the fine quality images it produces. During a holiday I prefer using a K-3 with the Pentax 17-70mm, but I use a KP with the Pentax 20-40mm when I walk around all day with my camera.

The Pentax 16-85mm is a good lens if you can find a good (i.e. not decentred) copy. On a K-3 there is not much difference between a 17-70mm and a 16-85mm, apart from colour reproduction. I prefer the 17-70mm because of the nice colours it gives.

For the TS: the 20-40mm is a fine lens, worth using and is lightweight compared to the 16-85mm or 17-70mm

Last edited by Hythloday; 08-17-2021 at 10:58 AM.
08-18-2021, 04:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

selling photography equipment [ for me at least ]
No shame in selling things off if you're genuinely not going to use them, it's not a sin against LBA because it allows you to buy more stuff that you will use.
08-18-2021, 05:18 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
No shame in selling things off if you're genuinely not going to use them, it's not a sin against LBA because it allows you to buy more stuff that you will use.
my problem is how to price the equipment

and finding willing buyers

last time I tried had 2000 looks, not one PM, not even to see if I was willing to negotiate price

HINT: I'm always willing to discuss pricing

almost every seller I have contacted on PF was willing to discuss pricing

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-18-2021 at 05:26 AM.
08-18-2021, 07:17 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

last time I tried had 2000 looks, not one PM, not even to see if I was willing to negotiate price

Yes, those are the issues; and interrelated for sure.
We all seek "bargains", for most of us a lens is not a necessity - so the bigger the bargain the more likely you are to get a response.
Of course, the market for esoteric and high $$ lenses is going to be quite small.
Too high a starting or asking price will not get many offers, serious buyers are doing their searching continuously and know the market.

Do your homework on online offers on the lens(es) you want to sell; price them at or below what the market "is"- then they will sell. JMHO.

I'd try the trader here- again; it is free and that is the best selling cost you will find.
08-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Just because you might sell it on doesn't mean you don't have to try to get the best price you can. You might also have to think how much of a hit you're willing to risk just to try a lens out.

That's always a question for me as there are so few Pentax users here in Spain, even a keenly-priced lens might take a while to sell, especially if it's a modern one that people don't want to adapt to their mirrorless cameras. I used to be able to sell things when I was back in the UK but now kids and Coronavirus mean I'm almost never back, plus Brexit means sending anything is very expensive, so I can neither sell nor buy unless I have a trip on the horizon.
08-19-2021, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR

please advise me

should I go with it or pass it by

pro or con

with reasons for your responses please

thanks
There is only one thing to do at this point and that is simply just go buy it and get done with it and get it over!
Then you can move on to other lenses like the 11-18!
What does it matter what our reasoning is for our responses it sounds like you really really need it!
08-27-2021, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just got off the phone with LensRental.com

[ as I say, if you are looking to rent, give them a call, based on past performance, they are good people ]

I am doing a short term rental to try the lens out during our trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Park in mid September

lens will be sent to Topeka to Fed Ex for my pick up and I will drop off at Fed Ex in West Yellowstone MT for return

if I like it it is eligible for their Keeper program -

QuoteQuote:
Just rent an eligible item, and then we’ll give you a starting purchase price based on the age of the copy we send you. We’ll even give you a credit for a portion of the rental fees. Even better, you can handle the entire transaction with just a few clicks on our website (although we’d be more than happy to handle it over the phone if you are just dying to talk to one of our friendly customer service agents). . ..

What percentage of my rental fees do I get credited?
We’ll give you back 100% of the rental fees for up to a 7 day rental as a credit towards purchase. If your rental was longer than 7 days, we’ll give you the 7 day rental price as a credit, and 30% of the remaining rental fees you paid, as well. . . .

What is the return policy?
We’ll allow a return within the first 14 days, and we’ll issue a refund less the rental fees that would have been charged for the period you had the equipment.

What if I want an extended warranty or a retail box?
We can sell an extended warranty from CPS for a fee, and in many cases, we can also send you a retail box if you’ll cover the shipping costs. Just email us after your purchase if you’d like to do either of those, and we’ll take care of it . . . .
Lensrentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more