Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2021, 07:03 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1954 M37 Takumar 50mm f3.5 test on digital

Hello,

Before testing my "new" 1954 Tower 23 (ASAHIFLEX IIB Model 1), I tested the lens on a digital body.
Asahi's first camera was the Asahiflex in 1952. It was produced until 1957 and several variations were made. It was an interchangeable lens SLR with M37 screw mount.
By 1954, the variation IIB Model 1 was sold by Sears in the US as Tower 23 with a 50mm f3.5 kit lens. The Tower 24 was the same camera but with a 58mm f2.4 lens

This pre-set lens came with my recently acquired Tower 23 and everything indicates it is the original kit lens.

Why testing on a K-01? It was the closest digital body I had within reach

The beauty of Pentax!

Is she a beauty or what?

For the test the camera was set on a tripod with 12 sec timer, ISO 200, manual mode (Duh!) and focused on the car in the center. Close to minimum focusing distance due to space constraints. May do additional tests outside in daylight.

First impression is that it is sharp even wide open! I like it! It will soon go back to it's original camera for a test roll in the wild.

Thanks,
Ismael

08-18-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Also this might not apply to you but I find some lenses allow light to leak into the camera as they don't fully cover the mount adapter. Worth checking though.
08-18-2021, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Before testing my "new" 1954 Tower 23 (ASAHIFLEX IIB Model 1), I tested the lens on a digital body.
Asahi's first camera was the Asahiflex in 1952. It was produced until 1957 and several variations were made. It was an interchangeable lens SLR with M37 screw mount.
By 1954, the variation IIB Model 1 was sold by Sears in the US as Tower 23 with a 50mm f3.5 kit lens. The Tower 24 was the same camera but with a 58mm f2.4 lens

This pre-set lens came with my recently acquired Tower 23 and everything indicates it is the original kit lens.

Why testing on a K-01? It was the closest digital body I had within reach

The beauty of Pentax!

Is she a beauty or what?

For the test the camera was set on a tripod with 12 sec timer, ISO 200, manual mode (Duh!) and focused on the car in the center. Close to minimum focusing distance due to space constraints. May do additional tests outside in daylight.

First impression is that it is sharp even wide open! I like it! It will soon go back to it's original camera for a test roll in the wild.

Thanks,
Ismael
My experience too, contrast is a bit soft.
08-18-2021, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
As HarisF1 noted, you may suffer from a light leak through the adaptor with such a small diameter lens.
Often not an issue indoors, with controlled lighting, but out in the big wild world with off-axis bright stuff shining every which-way, weird smudges or flares can often occur from light sneaking in through the slots on the rim of the adaptor.
I use a black elasticated hair ring to cover the join when necessary on some older lenses.

Other than that, a smart looking combination … rather reminds me of an Industar 50-2, an old favourite for when I'm feeling masochistically nostalgic

08-19-2021, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Also this might not apply to you but I find some lenses allow light to leak into the camera as they don't fully cover the mount adapter. Worth checking though.
Use a simple hair elastic, it should sit nice around the lens. The opening in the adapter will let in some light for sure.

regards
Baard-Einar.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D5803  Photo