Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2021, 03:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

My copy of the 35-70mm is non-SMC and I'd say it's not a great performer, though better than the other film era slow kit zooms I've tried. I believe it has some front or back focusing that I've never gotten around to looking at and to be fair I've never used it much.

08-20-2021, 03:48 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The FA-J 18-35 is supposed to be excellent optically. Normhead has one and I think he's given it a full two thumbs up. The build quality and general feel of the thing is not supposed to be so great.
This is the original kit lens for the *istD when Pentax released it in late 2003. It really gets a bad rap but I never had an issue with it.

The other lens that I like is the FA28-108 power zoom.

Those two lenses were the backbone of my digital kit for a few years, and as I transitioned, I used the 18-35 on my PZ1 for ultra wide. I finally set the 18-35 down, when I got a sigma 10-20 and transitioned fully to digital
08-20-2021, 05:46 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Try shopgoodwill, there seems too always be one or two bundled with cameras.
There is one like that on Ebay now - SFX plus a F 35-70 for 22. Says not working, but that looks like the shutter. No pictures of the glass though and the lens does look a bit tired with some paint worn off.

It is generally true that Ebay items are much cheaper bundled than individually. People looking just for a lens are less likely to look under "cameras", and people looking for a camera might not necessarily want that particular lens (even if the camera worked).

Pentax SFX 35mm SLR Film Camera With 50 35-70 mm Lens Available Worldwide | eBay

08-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
The MZ-S was frequently pictured with the 24-90. It's an excellent (kit?) lens.
It's my kit lens also now with the K-1

08-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Sssssshhhhhhh......careful to keep it secret !
08-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lately there have been about a bazillion SF10s on Shop Goodwill, many with the 35-70s

Be careful of shipping and handling charges there, though.
They've realized it's a good way to make money, so an $8 camera with lens could turn into $30 quickly from some of the Goodwill shops...

-Eric
08-27-2021, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Lately there have been about a bazillion SF10s on Shop Goodwill, many with the 35-70s

Be careful of shipping and handling charges there, though.
They've realized it's a good way to make money, so an $8 camera with lens could turn into $30 quickly from some of the Goodwill shops...

-Eric
But the thing is, their shipping rates are even more ridiculous than they should be because they don't know how to package things and use heavy packing materials and oversize boxes, then they round way up, and add handling charges too. You have to get it very cheap to get a deal there anymore. And I still don't understand why every K1000 seems to go $100 plus, sometimes they look like they have been used as a hockey puck.

08-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

>The lens range booklets from the same era all showedPentax-F and Pentax-A lenses. The F35-135mm lens appears very similar in>construction to the F35-70mm lens.

I have both of these and they also have a very similarrendering quality. Because of it's size I use the 35-70 a lot moreoften.

One thing about the 35-70 is that the only thing that keepsthe front element block from loosening and eventually unscrewing it’s self is avery thin plastic lens sized washer that is just press fitted. When mine completelystopped focusing, I noticed that the first element group was loose so I lightly supergluedit in (if there is such a thing). I didn’t know about the washer until recentlywhen I bought another one. It needed a bit of snugging too. Both are SMC and outstanding.