Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2021, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax AF Teleconverter 1.4x and some lenses Pentax and Sigma

Dear colleagues, good afternoon!
Please tell me if any of you have any practical experience of using the Pentax 1.4x teleconverter with the following lenses:
1. Pentax * 2.8 / 50-135
2. Sigma EX 2.8 / 70-200
3. Sigma 4,5-6,3 / 50-500 DG OS HSM?
How efficient are these lenses together with a converter in terms of AF speed?
How much does the image quality drop?

08-20-2021, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I can only offer experience using a non-Pentax (Kenko) 1.5x converter.
Performance will depend on which camera you are using. The newer cameras seem to have a more sensitive a/f system than the earlier models.
I would expect no problems with either of the f/2.8 lenses. I use my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 with it's dedicated 2x adaptor with no problems and have done since it was purchased with my *ist film camera.
The 50-500mm with a 1.4x adaptor will start to stretch the capabilities of your a/f system! In good light on a high contrast static subject it'll be OK most of the time, provided you give the camera time to make up it's mind … the K-3iii is not so bad in this respect, but the K-70 and the KP can struggle.
I'm coming to the conclusion that, with a 24m.pixel camera, a teleconverter is very much a final option solution. Very often, heat haze or similar will affect image quality before any gain in detail is achieved by optical magnification.
Inevitably, YMMV
08-20-2021, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The HD DA 1.4x works very well with the DA* 50-135. Focusing speed and accuracy is mostly unchanged. Image quality is excellent.
08-20-2021, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Grokh Quote
Dear colleagues, good afternoon!
Please tell me if any of you have any practical experience of using the Pentax 1.4x teleconverter with the following lenses:
1. Pentax * 2.8 / 50-135
2. Sigma EX 2.8 / 70-200
3. Sigma 4,5-6,3 / 50-500 DG OS HSM?
How efficient are these lenses together with a converter in terms of AF speed?
How much does the image quality drop?
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The HD DA 1.4x works very well with the DA* 50-135. Focusing speed and accuracy is mostly unchanged. Image quality is excellent.
I can also confirm that the DA* 50-135 works very well. Premium Pentax lenses will work very well with this TC, and lesser quality lenses will give lesser quality images. But I personally won't use non-Pentax lenses with my Pentax TC. Below I have linked the rear converter from the Ricoh site. At the bottom is shown the list of Pentax lenses which are both compatible and not compatible. As non-Pentax lenses are not listed, there is a risk of damage to either the lens or TC if attached. For your Sigma lenses, I would recommend you get the dedicated Sigma TC, as there are also restrictions on some Sigma lens/TC combinations.

Good luck.

HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW / Converter / AF Lens Adapter / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

08-20-2021, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t have those lenses, but it does not slow down the Pentax lenses that I use.
08-20-2021, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
But I personally won't use non-Pentax lenses with my Pentax TC. Below I have linked the rear converter from the Ricoh site. At the bottom is shown the list of Pentax lenses which are both compatible and not compatible. As non-Pentax lenses are not listed, there is a risk of damage to either the lens or TC if attached. For your Sigma lenses, I would recommend you get the dedicated Sigma TC, as there are also restrictions on some Sigma lens/TC combinations.

Good luck.

HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW / Converter / AF Lens Adapter / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
This is a fair point, but it is worth noting that the position of the rear element is what seems to be the main concern. On any lens where the rear element is recessed well back from the end there shouldn’t be any damage but actual use would be the only real test.

The adapter works best with f4 or faster lenses, but exceptions do occur. For example the da 55-300 plm lens works with the hd da 1.4x reasonably well in good light by most reports.
08-20-2021, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This is a fair point, but it is worth noting that the position of the rear element is what seems to be the main concern. On any lens where the rear element is recessed well back from the end there shouldn’t be any damage but actual use would be the only real test.
Agreed, Brad, just giving the OP (and others) something to think about, and maybe check their Pentax lenses on the list.....

08-21-2021, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Agreed, Brad, just giving the OP (and others) something to think about, and maybe check their Pentax lenses on the list.....
Definitely worth warning people.