Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA - CBA am I too cheap?

in the last 2 weeks I have passed up a Chinon SLR with Chinon 50mm F1.4 and a Spotmatic F with Takumar SMC 50 mm F1.4 because I already have a SMC-Pentax 50mm F1.4. I have also passed on 2 28-28mm zooms because they were manual focus and much slower than my Tamron 28-75 F2.8 (also probably no better quality than my SMC-FA 28-80 F3.5-4-5)

None of the lenses was over $20 or lens plus camera over $40.

My policy to this point is to only buy something I don't have. That specifically limits me to MF primes faster than or equal to F2.8

Am I too cheap, or just not buying because I already have an equivelent or better lens.

12-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Or maybe you're being reasonable and not buying for the sake of buying.
12-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
There's only so much glass you can use at any one time even if it's only $20. Why not wait and get something that just makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up?
12-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

LG - you're a man after my own heart.

My current setup cost no more than, oh, about $200AU.

Chinon CG-5 (a very, very excellent little camera) was $25, part of a $40 deal with a Ricoh with an f2 50mm Rikenon. $25 was the sticker price of the Chinon, but I haggled to get both of them for $40.

ME Super from a forum member, $40.

M f1.7 50mm was part of a $95 deal - deal contained an ME Super, a Hanimex f2.8 28mm, a dodgy, dodgy Genericon 70-210mm zoom (you can actually see it go from barrel to pincushion in the viewfinder), and a shoulder bag I still use, as well as a cable release and a bunch of filters.

A f1.7 50mm was, for some reason, part of a deal with my old ME. Bought it from an elderly man called Hess ("I might be related to Rudolph, I don't know"). $30 camera, lens, UV filter, neveready case, Panagor teleconverter and an old roll of Konica film.

K f1.4 50mm and M f3.5 135mm (with hard case) were part of a deal from an antique store in Paddo, along with a K2 that never worked, for $95.

Rikenon f3.5 28mm from a pawnshop for about $25.

And the kicker - K f1.2 50mm, fungusy as hell, and all torn up, but working, for $50 with a Rikenon f1.7 50mm at the same pawnshop.

I'm descended from dirt-poor Irish and capitalist Chinese - I know where to find a bargain, and then grab it - only after I talk the price down further.

12-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like wisdom and maturity that sometimes comes with time!
12-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
in the last 2 weeks I have passed up a Chinon SLR with Chinon 50mm F1.4 and a Spotmatic F with Takumar SMC 50 mm F1.4 because I already have a SMC-Pentax 50mm F1.4. I have also passed on 2 28-28mm zooms because they were manual focus and much slower than my Tamron 28-75 F2.8 (also probably no better quality than my SMC-FA 28-80 F3.5-4-5)

None of the lenses was over $20 or lens plus camera over $40.

My policy to this point is to only buy something I don't have. That specifically limits me to MF primes faster than or equal to F2.8

Am I too cheap, or just not buying because I already have an equivelent or better lens.
Being selective once you have a good kit is a smart thing.

About the only reason you might want to buy the Spotty with the S-M-C Tak 50 1.4 for $40 is that the lens, depending on condition, is worth $80-$110 or so. You could sell it and make between $40 and $70 profit.

That may or may not be worth it to you, but do that 4 or 5 times, saving the profits in your Paypal account, and pretty soon you have a real nice lens paid for.

12-02-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am having a hard time trying to find a decent Spottie in Australia as it is.

12-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Being selective once you have a good kit is a smart thing.

About the only reason you might want to buy the Spotty with the S-M-C Tak 50 1.4 for $40 is that the lens, depending on condition, is worth $80-$110 or so. You could sell it and make between $40 and $70 profit.

That may or may not be worth it to you, but do that 4 or 5 times, saving the profits in your Paypal account, and pretty soon you have a real nice lens paid for.

True, except that I don't really want the hastle of bying and selling, which is why I left these bargins sitting in the shop they were in, all disappeared within a day, along with a Nikon FE (plus lens) an older canon F mount and a MF Oly. There still is an AF minolta 7000 for $69 with lens. If someone wanted to they could make a little cash out of this,
12-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
in the last 2 weeks I have passed up ..... a Spotmatic F with Takumar SMC 50 mm F1.4 because I already have a SMC-Pentax 50mm F1.4.

My policy to this point is to only buy something I don't have.
You already have a Spotmatic F?
12-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I wish I had one to pass up the opportunity to get another one ... hee hee
12-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It does hurt, it does: seeing good stuff go extremely low or without any bids.

I just watched a beautiful Franka Rolfix with 6x6 insert and Schneider Radionar lens... and a Kodak Retina IIa in great shape... and a couple of Tak 135/3.5's with hoods and cases... and so on and so on...

As painful as it is, I don't need any of these.

You done good.
12-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Lowell, it makes sense to do what you're doing. I have accumulated far too much crap, I mean, lenses and am now having a tough time selling them. Most were bought as part of a lot that included a good lens I wanted to keep, but still, I have been guilty of buying some lenses "because they're only $30". Buy 10 of those lenses and you've spent $300, and that's a good down payment on some better, faster glass.

Lithos, you're da man!
12-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Lowell, it makes sense to do what you're doing. I have accumulated far too much crap, I mean, lenses and am now having a tough time selling them. Most were bought as part of a lot that included a good lens I wanted to keep, but still, I have been guilty of buying some lenses "because they're only $30". Buy 10 of those lenses and you've spent $300, and that's a good down payment on some better, faster glass.

Lithos, you're da man!
One man's junk is another man's treasure.

What have you got that you're trying to unload?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
You already have a Spotmatic F?
No, but a KX basically the same but in K mount. (I also have a ricoh XR2s and a PZ-1) and don't really need another film body. I decided long ago that I am not a collector but a user.

I prefer to have K mount just to get a little more functionality with my DSLRs, but will look at M42 if it is something I don't already have and would likle

So far I only have one M42 mount lens, an SMC Tak 35mm F2, it fit nicely between my SMC-P 50mm F1.4 and my Adaptall 24mm F2.5.

If, at some point I want a spotmatic F and see one with a lens attached that I want, I might go for it, but I need something in terms of the glass too as that is my greater interest, at least for now.