Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2021, 11:05 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Comparison of 300mm capable lenses on the K-1

Every now I then I do a test to remind myself why I tend to collect old primes and not zooms.
These are all wide open. And remember the primes are up to a stop faster than the zooms.
My poor old DAL 55-300 is such a dog! I am not pretending it is standard for that lens.
These Takumar lens caps are set up about 30 metres from the camera. (I tend to lay them out like that - 100 times the focal length.)
The outer 2 are about 600mm forward and back of the central one. This helps to gauge whether I have stuffed up focusing!.

Attached Images

08-28-2021, 01:33 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the old A or M *300/4 eat them all!
08-28-2021, 01:45 AM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
the old A or M *300/4 eat them all!
Have you got one to put up against them? I would love to see some later ones compared. Old Takumar lens cap at 30 metres. Lens wide open.
08-28-2021, 05:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its a pity the light isn't better. The exposure discrepancy between the white paper and the dull everything else has exacerbated the haloing.

The tair matches its rep - one of the best vintage 300's, the soligor/hanimex (same lens) is better than expected for me I was not impressed by the essentially the same tokina made vivitar 300-5.5 that passed through my hands, the tokina AF zoom is similar to cosina and sigma x-300mm zooms I have tried ie just not very good at the long end, the tokina (= vivitar etc) 100-300mm f5 is better at infinity/distant focus at 300mm for sure, but result is indicative it is softish and fringy at f5, I am not convinced by the DAL 55-300mm result this lens is normally better than that, may be OOF, try again using MF/live view.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 08-28-2021 at 05:34 AM.
08-28-2021, 05:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel there is something wrong with the DAL 55-300 lens/test. Very nice results from the Takumars!
08-28-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have no clue what this means. Did you use live view and focus assist, or did you eye ball it?
08-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"The outer 2 are about 600mm forward and back of the central one"

This cannot be correct-600mm is 2 feet !
If you mean 60mm that is still over 2", and at 30m depht of field is less than that for sure.

What is the actual distance?

What is the point of focus, i.e. which lens ? Center one ?

08-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have no clue what this means. Did you use live view and focus assist, or did you eye ball it?
Tripod, electronic shutter, 12 sec delay. Focus Liveview image magnified with focus peaking on. Two focusing attempts - choose the best.
08-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
This cannot be correct-600mm is 2 feet !
If you mean 60mm that is still over 2", and at 30m depht of field is less than that for sure.
As per the text.
Attached Images

08-28-2021, 01:54 PM   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
The exposure discrepancy between the white paper and the dull everything else has exacerbated the haloing.
Why I like that type of lighting.
08-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I am not convinced by the DAL 55-300mm result this lens is normally better than that, may be OOF, try again using MF/live view.
Nope - as per the text mine is a dog.
08-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It's hard to accept it could be that bad. But it sounds like you've done enough to get better results it it were possible. The only different between that and what I do is I usually do 5 shots and take the best, and if I get results like that, I take 5 more. That's one of the unknown factors to me. Sometimes a lens gets rated best in class based on one shot, when only one of the 5 shots was that good. Other times I have 4 great shots and one bad. Its hard to quantify that, but my guess is you might have better results with more image.... but of course, it's impossible to know that.
08-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #13
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's hard to accept it could be that bad. But it sounds like you've done enough to get better results it it were possible. The only different between that and what I do is I usually do 5 shots and take the best, and if I get results like that, I take 5 more. That's one of the unknown factors to me. Sometimes a lens gets rated best in class based on one shot, when only one of the 5 shots was that good. Other times I have 4 great shots and one bad. Its hard to quantify that, but my guess is you might have better results with more image.... but of course, it's impossible to know that.
Remember these lenses are wide open Norm.
I apply the 100x the focal length (300mm lens = 30 metres) on all focal lengths I do a comparison on.
On all lenses it becomes a challenge to define the triangle in the "A" of "Pentax".
08-28-2021, 02:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Remember these lenses are wide open Norm.
I apply the 100x the focal length (300mm lens = 30 metres) on all focal lengths I do a comparison on.
On all lenses it becomes a challenge to define the triangle in the "A" of "Pentax".
In all tests it's difficult to do something, someone, somewhere doesn't think "you could have done better."

Thanks for you dedication and patience. These things are serious work.
08-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #15
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
In all tests it's difficult to do something, someone, somewhere doesn't think "you could have done better."

Thanks for you dedication and patience. These things are serious work.
Yes and I have chosen the lenscaps so people elsewhere can do a comparison - but no one volunteers!
Obviously focus error is the biggest variability I am up against. I would have rated camera shake next but the Tair had the worst mounting. It has a large threaded hole and the only adapter I had meant it was mounted on a stalk. Yet it is pretty well the best especially considering the back lenscap suggests it is slightly back focused.