Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2021, 05:43 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Comparison of 400mm lenses on the K-1

Takumar lens cap at 40 metres. The two outer caps are about a metre forward and back of the centre one to aid focusing. All lenses wide open
No surprises here - I knew the K 400mm was a great lens.
Well - actually one surprise! that hanimar 400 is a plastiky piece of crappola. I expected it to be worst of the bunch.
I think the worst is the lighter Soligor. Typical of Soligor it is beautifully engineered with mediocre optics. It is the preset one in the reviews.

Attached Images

08-28-2021, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for this review. It's not common to see this group of lenses compared in one review and with such interesting results. That label card was a really useful target to show chromatic issues in these lenses (not much in the mirror lens as you would expect). Good Show!
08-29-2021, 01:18 AM   #3

Isn't the focus on some pictures more on the red deck chair, causing CA on other objects?
08-29-2021, 01:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Center performance is not great for any lens… now what about off-center results… maybe I am just missing the gold standard here.

08-29-2021, 02:43 AM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
Isn't the focus on some pictures more on the red deck chair, causing CA on other objects?
The red chair is a little further away than the rearmost (left hand) cap. If you were right the left hand cap would be noticeably sharper than the centre one. It is interesting tho the the better result images have the chair sharper. I would have thought a dull lens would just affect the very sharpest plane but apparently not.
08-29-2021, 02:45 AM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Center performance is not great for any lens… now what about off-center results… maybe I am just missing the gold standard here.
Naa - too much work and complicated layout. And for almost all my photography sharpness drop off is not an issue on the whole.
08-29-2021, 04:26 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The red chair is a little further away than the rearmost (left hand) cap. If you were right the left hand cap would be noticeably sharper than the centre one. It is interesting tho the the better result images have the chair sharper. I would have thought a dull lens would just affect the very sharpest plane but apparently not.
Well, in my opinion certainly not on the last picture. The left hand cap IS sharper in spite of not being near centre...It is hard to judge though.
Thanks for posting.

I'm about to try some old lenses on my K1 as well..

08-29-2021, 05:41 AM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, in my opinion certainly not on the last picture. The left hand cap IS sharper in spite of not being near centre...It is hard to judge though.
Thanks for posting.

I'm about to try some old lenses on my K1 as well..
Try using a takumar lenscap the same way. Mine are 49mm caps and the font makes the "Pentax" 35mm long. (There are several fonts)
Set up the camera 100 x the focal length from the target cap. (10 metres from a 100mm lens)
And when wide open see if you can resolve the little triangle in the "A" of "Pentax"
08-29-2021, 05:47 AM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, in my opinion certainly not on the last picture.
Perhaps the FA 400 is back focused a little. But the difference between the left and the centre is not enough for the focus to be behind the left one.
But I might repeat the FA and the K ones. I thought the FA would have been best of the two.
08-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Center performance is not great for any lens
The experiment is repeatable - put some of your shiny new lenses to the challenge.
And anyway how can you state "Center performance is not great for any lens" when there is no objective measurement of the result.? The experiment is for comparative purposes.
08-29-2021, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting test although I worry about the axe on what looks like an old tractor seat.
Let's hope nobody sits down without checking first. ;-)
08-29-2021, 03:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It certainly seems the soligor on the last pic was focused on the red chair, too.
Did you use live view magnified to that specific crop to focus?

08-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #13
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
It certainly seems the soligor on the last pic was focused on the red chair, too.
Did you use live view magnified to that specific crop to focus?
Yes I think you might be right with this one. I had made a poor choice .
Here is the next exposure - obvious really - I should be making the choice at least partly based on the amount of fringing on the white paper. I think I had felt this one was a little front focused. I use live view magnified and centred on the centre lens.
Attached Images

08-29-2021, 04:53 PM   #14
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Had a run off this morning with the FA 400 up against the K 400. Took 5 plus shots from each and chose the best. The K definitely has more fringing.
Also walked out another 40metres and set up the old Soligor 800mm f8 long focus lens. Only two elements. Of course it is going to fringe like heck (that is what extra elements are about) but quite an acceptable result.

Soligor 800mm f8 long focus lens. T mount - PentaxForums.com
Attached Images

08-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #15
Forum Member

Nice total lack of chromatic aberration with the 400-600mm lens (as expected). To tell you the truth I prefer a softer image without the PF to a sharper one with it.