Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2021, 07:50 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Restoring an old Spiratone 400mm f6.3

Hello,

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
I don't recall posting this before, as this was shortly before getting hit by hurricane Maria in 2017.
You may remember elsewhere in this forum I painted an un-repairable Minolta SRT100( Hopeless Minolta SRT 100 - PentaxForums.com ) I was given by a fellow photographer.
It came with a tired T2 mount Spiratone 400mm f6.3

You know where this is going, right?

Cleaned up nicely.

A T2 to K-mount adapter

Tested in my K100D Super

Distance reference pic with a 50mm

and the result: A hint of sharpening and a hint of contrast boost and I was pleasantly surprised.

The included original hood threads were bent and damaged. It won't attach to the lens. I've been fighting it but I may take it to a machine shop for proper threading.

Thanks,

08-29-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like you've had some fun - nice! You might want to check out one of these thread repair tools. You need to be careful not to distort the area opposite of the original damage, but I've had some success using them by rotating into the damaged area and slowly working the metal back out:

amazon.com: Neewer Camera Lens Vise Repair Tool for Lens and Filter, Ring Adjustment Range 27mm to 130mm, Steel Construction : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
08-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Looks like you've had some fun - nice! You might want to check out one of these thread repair tools. You need to be careful not to distort the area opposite of the original damage, but I've had some success using them by rotating into the damaged area and slowly working the metal back out:

amazon.com: Neewer Camera Lens Vise Repair Tool for Lens and Filter, Ring Adjustment Range 27mm to 130mm, Steel Construction : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Doesn’t that only work on the inside (female) threading of the lens? My understanding of this is that the (male) hood threading is what’s damaged.
08-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Correct. I was able to get it round enough with the tool but the outer threads are damaged. Haven't played with it in a few months.

Thanks,

08-29-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, that was considered to be one of the best $79 lenses around when new.
08-29-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good looking restoration and the photos aren't bad at all - very little color and with your post processing, sharp at the scale shown. I remember Spiratone and bought a number of things from them though I can't recall what they were. That was a long ways back.

Have fun with that lens and hope you can fix your thread issue. If you had access to a lathe, you might be able to run a tool over the threads while carefully turning the lathe by hand. Might be hard to chuck up the parts though and get them centered but a machinist might be able to help.

Last edited by Bob 256; 08-29-2021 at 04:09 PM.
08-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Doesn’t that only work on the inside (female) threading of the lens? My understanding of this is that the (male) hood threading is what’s damaged.
Yep. My mistake. I was thinking the threads were on the other side.

09-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the lens test; I have the Quantaray version that I bought from Ritz Camera in my high school days and it still performs well!
09-08-2021, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
Thanks for the lens test; I have the Quantaray version that I bought from Ritz Camera in my high school days and it still performs well!
That’s a blast from the past. My dad worked at Ritz at one point.
09-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s a blast from the past. My dad worked at Ritz at one point.
I loved Ritz! There was a large one in Beltsville, Maryland close to where I grew up (it might have been the HQ store?). I bought some lenses, and many accessories and darkroom supplies from there.
09-08-2021, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
I loved Ritz! There was a large one in Beltsville, Maryland close to where I grew up (it might have been the HQ store?). I bought some lenses, and many accessories and darkroom supplies from there.
Dad worked in Charlotte. Small store inside the local mall. My recollection is the plan of that placement (near the entrance) was to get dads to stop while their wives shopped. It seemed to work. Long time ago.
09-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dad worked in Charlotte. Small store inside the local mall. My recollection is the plan of that placement (near the entrance) was to get dads to stop while their wives shopped. It seemed to work. Long time ago.
Was that one of the Ritz stores that got turned into Wolf Camera?
And then back again... before the whole thing collapsed...

-Eric
09-08-2021, 09:29 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Was that one of the Ritz stores that got turned into Wolf Camera?
And then back again... before the whole thing collapsed...

-Eric
Yes indeed. Chuck is well known to me. But I was a kid back then.