Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #1

Which two lenses make you ...?

The weather has been pretty gloomy here in the Northwest the last couple of weeks and I just haven't been shooting as much as I want. So instead of shooting, I have been reading up on gears and reviews of lenses on various sites. I read up of Canon, Nikon, and Sony and it got me thinking, "What would I get if I have a different system?" and "Wouldn't it be interesting if I have a Canon 5D with 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/4L IS, and 85/1.8?" I joked with my wife that I am considering switching system but she really doesn't care. I can sell everything and start with a new system?!?! It'll be a lot of work, but I can do it. Know that grass is always greener on the other side, I ask myself, "What would I miss from Pentax?" Two lenses in particular came to mind and I am going to miss them a lot if I do switch:

FA31/1.8 - Tremendous built quality that you don't get anymore with excellent sharpness, butter smooth bokeh in a tight neat package. One of best primes every made!
DA16-50/2.8 - This might be surprising to most, but my copy gives great contrast and color, and sharpness where I need it with weatherseal, QS, and SDM. The lens rarely leaves my K10D.

Rationality kicked in and I don't think I am mentally ready to leave there two lovelies, maybe one day, but not now. Since we are constantly tempted by other systems, I am would like to know which two lenses made you stay with Pentax?

12-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah, nothing to take pictures of in Seattle this time of year. . .

except the boring scenery.

I'd definitely miss the FA31 and the 50/1.4 S-M-C Takumar -- both are great optically, great ergonomically, and built like lenses should be built.

Actually, I wouldn't miss them -- I'd convert them over to the new mount.
12-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
:

Rationality kicked in and I don't think I am mentally ready to leave there two lovelies, maybe one day, but not now. Since we are constantly tempted by other systems, I am would like to know which two lenses made you stay with Pentax?
Rationality is missing. the onlyl reason to have 2 camera bodies
is because you contomplate shooting conditons where there is not opportunity to switich lenses, or desire a spare lest one fails to perform. Having once selected a brand and gone so far as to have a couple of lenses for it, switching becomes an irrational exercise unless you have walked into a dead end trap and find yourself with a betamax.
12-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hey I didn't mention that I have a five-months old in the house. Getting out these days is just not as simple as it used to be ....

12-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a 31mm en route that will be here Wednesday, and I suspect it would take one of the places. For the other place I would have to say the DA* 50-135, although both DA* zooms are great. It would be a hard choice.
12-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

What's keeping me from thinking too much about doing the same is the:

mostly:
1) FA43, can't seem to find anything like it in any other brand.

then
2) DA*16-50, I know there is the Tokina variation, but, I got a really great copy of this lens, and not sure if I'd luck out on a different copy, especially since the Tokina is missing the Pentax SMC coatings and the glass has a different manufacturer so I'm not sure it'd be the same lens. In good light at 5.6 or so, this lens is every bit as good as my FA31.

3) FA77, my M-100 2.8 and the ability to scrounge around and try out interesting other older M, K and taks.

of course, with the Canon 5D and mkII, you can buy a simple adapter and mount your favorite leica lens without having to do a mod. (except some need to be filed down a touch to avoid the mirror,
12-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Funny how the Limiteds immediately make up at least 1 of 2 lens choices.

I was down at the Museum of Flight the other week; with a 5 month old, it's probably an ideal place to go because you have plenty of space to wheel around the stroller AND lots of interesting stuff to shoot!

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Hey I didn't mention that I have a five-months old in the house. Getting out these days is just not as simple as it used to be ....
12-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

my 2 choices...

1, my FA 35/2
2, my FA 50/1.4

*If I ever did make the decision to move to Canon, I could use both of these lenses! (Not that I will be making that move anytime in the near future...)

Jason