Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2021, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ah

the fickle finger of fate

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-21-2021 at 05:00 PM.
09-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Grats on the 150-450. It's in my future when I finally decide to fill the telephoto end of my lenses.
09-28-2021, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A whole week early in the mail!

This is going to be fun... though there's a weird feature called "auto focus" or something, anyone knows what that does or how it works?
09-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
. . . though there's a weird feature called "auto focus" or something, anyone knows what that does or how it works?
I think that works best when the lens cap is on

09-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I think that works best when the lens cap is on
Thanks Allen, knew I could count on you
09-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Allen, knew I could count on you
some one had to step forward
09-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A whole week early in the mail!

This is going to be fun... though there's a weird feature called "auto focus" or something, anyone knows what that does or how it works?
Pretty swanky looking setup.

"Auto focus" is the Devil's playground.

09-28-2021, 03:06 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First couple shots... this thing is SHARP!

Both of these are wide open and handheld at 1/250s

150mm:

450mm:

I was fully intending on keeping my A 400 as a travel option, but I don't really think I will be after having been out with this thing for just 20 minutes. Sure it's a little heavier and wider, but a noticeable chunk shorter, and actually feels easier to hold stable hand held. Not to mention the usefulness of the zoom range, and that the IQ is on different playing fields. This isn't to say that the A 400 isn't a great lens, it certainly is for what it is, I just don't see that I'll ever reach for it instead...
09-28-2021, 04:15 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's my favourite lens. Congratulations!
09-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Both of these are wide open and handheld at 1/250s

150mm:

450mm:

I was fully intending on keeping my A 400 as a travel option, but I don't really think I will be after having been out with this thing for just 20 minutes. Sure it's a little heavier and wider, but a noticeable chunk shorter, and actually feels easier to hold stable hand held. Not to mention the usefulness of the zoom range, and that the IQ is on different playing fields. This isn't to say that the A 400 isn't a great lens, it certainly is for what it is, I just don't see that I'll ever reach for it instead...
Congrats, man! Now to enjoy it
10-11-2021, 01:35 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Congratulations for this purchase. I miss my copy I had to sell 2 years ago but this lens is just too heavy for my practice of photography
01-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Be very careful when deciding to buy the 150-450. They fall apart. Google it before buying. Mine fell apart this week after very light use. There are tiny screws that hold the main elements of the lens into the lens barrel. These screw are threaded into an aluminum ring. The holes strip easily. Again, I've used my lens maybe 20 times. Certainly no more than that. Pentax doesn't warranty this obvious design flaw. I have managed to fine a repairman to work on the lens, but at significant cost. So, even though the lens is optically wonderful, it's pretty much of a piece of junk. If you have one, handle it very carefully, and watch out for this defect.

---------- Post added 01-04-22 at 12:28 PM ----------

Here is the forum link to the issue I describe above.

Pentax Lenses Falling Apart - Stripped Internal Screws - PentaxForums.com
01-04-2022, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bulloughphotography Quote
Be very careful when deciding to buy the 150-450. They fall apart. Google it before buying. Mine fell apart this week after very light use. There are tiny screws that hold the main elements of the lens into the lens barrel. These screw are threaded into an aluminum ring. The holes strip easily. Again, I've used my lens maybe 20 times. Certainly no more than that. Pentax doesn't warranty this obvious design flaw. I have managed to fine a repairman to work on the lens, but at significant cost. So, even though the lens is optically wonderful, it's pretty much of a piece of junk. If you have one, handle it very carefully, and watch out for this defect.

---------- Post added 01-04-22 at 12:28 PM ----------

Here is the forum link to the issue I describe above.

Pentax Lenses Falling Apart - Stripped Internal Screws - PentaxForums.com
You're a bit late warning me, considering I bought it 3.5 months ago

That being said, lenses falling apart could be a worry, but for the couple examples on the forum here there are hundreds that haven't fallen apart - including mine. I certainly don't baby gear (though I'm not intentionally abusive either) and have used it plenty more than twenty times and no sign of falling apart yet... I get your frustration, I really do as I would be pretty annoyed considering the price paid - but calling it a piece of junk is a bit of a stretch.
01-04-2022, 12:51 PM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . calling it a piece of junk is a bit of a stretch.
I agree

speaking as one whose D FA 150-450mm fell apart

I believe the way I mistreated it bore a substantial part in the failure

I had it extended hanging from my shoulder while the vehicle I was in bounced along rough roads during Tanzania safari

my suggestion, don't do that

keep it at 150mm while traveling and minimize any bouncing

btw since the repair by phototronic

https://phototronic.biz

here in Topeka I have had no problems

he resized internal screw holes and put in oversized screws
01-04-2022, 01:02 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
.... and the reported cases of its separation like what happened to me when internal screws stripped and pulled loose seem very small

practice hint, try keeping it fully retracted as much as possible especially if standing while bouncing in a moving safari vehicle on a rough road in a place like Tanzania

can you hand hold it

yes

it builds character and muscle if you try

would the use of a tripod/monopod help
Just bought one, there was nice discount in local shop and couldn't resist.
Have M* 300mm and afa1,7x: happy but sometimes focus problems on fast or dim objects.

Noted your safari advice...makes sense I guess.

Did not have much opportunity to use it outdoors in current winter conditions but managed handheld shot indoors of xmas decoration at low shutterspeed So hevy yes, but I can confirm handheld is possible. I prefer to remove tripod mount handheld.