Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote

I have a M42 adapter that is without the spring plate, maybe that's another reason why this is happen.
That isn't another reason....it is the only reason. What do people think the spring is there for and why do they think they can remove it without sacrificing the integrity of the lens/camera connection?

This is like blaming a windshield for a child flying through it in an auto accident and then saying, "Oh, maybe the fact that he was standing on the front seat was another reason."

12-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
That isn't another reason....it is the only reason. What do people think the spring is there for and why do they think they can remove it without sacrificing the integrity of the lens/camera connection?

This is like blaming a windshield for a child flying through it in an auto accident and then saying, "Oh, maybe the fact that he was standing on the front seat was another reason."
Please see Post #8. I didn't remove anything and as a newbie of using the adapter I didn't even know about it and I am not blaming anything or anyone. Just want to tell a story so that it won't happen to another newbie.

Please don't get angry with me
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am sorry to hear about the accident. The method of not having spring plate on a M42 adapter is not meant for every lens. I will use the following criteria to determine if an adapter is safe to be mounted directly onto the lens instead of the body and have the spring plate removed:
  • if the adapter is genuine one, don't ever remove the spring plate. You only remove the spring plate in a 3rd party adapter. With genuine adapter, I always mount the adapter onto the lens. And the genuine adapter is highly recommended for all cases.
  • if the lens base is not big enough to let the locking pin to push onto the lens base, don't mount adapter directly on the lens as any abrupt turning on lens in focusing or aperture change can lose up the lens and accident can happen
  • if lens base is big enough and that you don't mind the cosmetic of a drilled hole simulating the locking pin hole on a K mount lens, use a slow drill or a file to perform the operation. Damage can be severe in the rear element if precaution are not done properly.
  • For tele lens in the heavy side, it is best to use the genuine adapter mounted on camera body.
  • For any lens that is on the heavy side, 3rd party adapters are not recommended.

About the drilling, many discussion lead me to rethink on the use of drill tool. I used a fast speed drill before which causes a lot of fine powder dust and I recommend low speed drilling along with a 'file' for the final stage of polishing up the hole. If at all possible, if the base part of the lens can be dismounted so that the rear element is completely separated from the actual drilling, that would be ideal. If not, I use masking tape to cover the lens rear and perform the operation in a clean and damp environment with a moist towel to receive the fine particles after the needed drilling, filing and grinding. More can be referenced in my blog pages

The headache can be avoided if the genuine pentax adapter is used, I think. It is not worth the troubles to convert a M42 lens to K mount for obvious reasons of adding a not-so-good-looking hole to the lens base. I will do the drilling on a lens that I am willing to risk for longer ownership instead of selling. It may be harder to trade when you have a picture with poor workmanship on the drilling. I do have a failed drilling in my Jupiter9 that I sold Gus (igillian) a little while ago. I sold it my beloved Jupiter9 really cheap to Gus to hold him longer in Pentax forum from jumping into Nikon. I think I succeeded in some way. The failed attempt of a drilled hole happened in Gus's Jupiter 9 as that lens base is not big enough to cover the entire locking pin, kind of half way along the edge. I used a filer to refine the drilling and I need to ask Gus if the drilled hole actually work for him. I have performed about 4 drillings with 1 failure on the Jupiter in which the hole still not lock the K pin securely in place without the spring plate, and the risk of damage are there.

That is why I recommend a normal "file" that you can get under $10 for the refined job needed -- it will take longer but less prone to create a not-so-good looking drilling hole. There are some who have refined the process to have a perfect K pin locking hole, and I have seen some proudly converted K lens but so far I have not done one to my satisfaction.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-02-2008 at 12:56 PM.
12-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hinman, I actually masking taped the mount and have vacuum tube sucking out those particles while driling quite slowly.

I want to repeat this again, I don't know there is a lock spring as when I receive it on the old lens, it doesn't have the spring on it. Futhermore, this is my first time using a M42 lens (I gave that old lens away), so please go easy on me

12-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Hinman, I actually masking taped the mount and have vacuum tube sucking out those particles while driling quite slowly.

I want to repeat this again, I don't know there is a lock spring as when I receive it on the old lens, it doesn't have the spring on it. Futhermore, this is my first time using a M42 lens (I gave that old lens away), so please go easy on me
I would have gone through the same trouble had I not known about the adapter. I am glad to hear that you have done the operation an that you are still cheerful to share with others. I am grateful to hear members sharing experience, be it good or bad and as we all learn in the fun hobby. There is absolutely no blaming from my part as I love your blogs and your pictures, I am a fan of your pictures and blog post.

If you are onto getting another M42 lens, I recommend the genuine M42 to K adapter. In my blog posts, there are several links to pentaxwebstore and the model number that you can look up for new ones. I am about to push three genuine pentax M42 to K adapters to marketplace with one reserved for my forum friend Thanh_Tan. All are used priced accordingly for $25 with the best one with green packet for my friend. I will PM you when I actually get to it.
12-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #21
Forum Member

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Something really similar happened to me using a 3rd party adapter with the spring removed. Luckily, it was with a Takumar 50mm/1.4, and indoors on carpet. The lens fell off as i changed aperature and bounced on the rug - no damage done.

I ordered another adapter the next day, and now I only ever use it WITH the spring... it's a little difficult to get the cheap 3rd party adapter off the camera body, but worth the pain to avoid the risk...
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hey vizjerei,
Sorry to hear about your mishap! Is it bad that I want to see pics?
[edit] ...and do you mean you don't want to repeat this again?
12-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Hey vizjerei,
Sorry to hear about your mishap! Is it bad that I want to see pics?
[edit] ...and do you mean you don't want to repeat this again?
Oh I will post some pic when I got home.
And I meant I want to repeat the fact that I know nothing about the lock spring, not the accident tho

knochelbiter, Yes I would strongly recommend everyone use the adapter with the lock spring.

Here are the photos:
I drilled the lock pin hole and add the foil so K10D can do the focus trap.

K10D with broken shell :'(

12-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

OT, but checked out your PPG and that engagement photo was phenomenal! great work
12-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about the K10 taking a tumble, but glad that is is still usable !!
12-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Just to be a bit nick picking. There are valid reasons that the spring plate is removed for certain adapters in certain scenario. For those 3rd party adapters such as those from Bower, Kalt, and others that carry the engrave of K/M adapter on the ring, the tiny screw and spring plate are good in the beginning, but after a few months of usage, they get worn out easily and I ran into the scenario with the tiny screw and plate dismounted while the adapter is mounted jamming both the adapter into the K mount in the camera body. For a moment, I thought my K100D was over. It was only after 20 minutes of pains taking retry to dismount the jammed adapter. Hence, I always recommend the Genuine Pentax M42 to K adapter.

My story was documented as a warning to other M42 users:

In the comment section of the blog post, you see two inputs from readers with similar experience and there are a lot more untold stories in using 3rd party adapters.

Last edited by hinman; 12-03-2008 at 10:37 AM.
12-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #27
Pentaxian

ah viz..
poor you.

i sad with what happen to the camera
12-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #28
Banned

viz your K10 just has a few battle scars now. nothing too bad.
12-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Sorry, but I think I'm misunderstanding something. Say I want to convert my takamur from M42 to K-mount permanently, and I have a Genuine adapter. Do I still remove the spring and spring plate?
12-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Sorry, but I think I'm misunderstanding something. Say I want to convert my takamur from M42 to K-mount permanently, and I have a Genuine adapter. Do I still remove the spring and spring plate?
For genuine adapter:

You always mount on the body and NEVER remove the spring plate as that defeats the purpose of the genuine adapter. You use the genuine adapter the normal fashion, ie
  • mount adatper on K mount body
  • mount M42 lens onto the K body with the M42 adapter

For K mount conversion:

Risk are involved and not all lens are suitable for the conversion. Heavy long tele lens and lens with small lens base should not be considered as you lose the locking mechanics of the adapter.

If you decide to go through the steps, you can buy those 3rd party adapters, the used one will do and you need to remove the spring plate and mount directly onto the lens.

Operation with the converted lens will be like:
  • 3rd party adapter mounted permanently on the lens, spring plate removed
  • You decide whether a K pin hole is needed, if it is a small lens like a 50mm with a large base, don't bother as the K pin may be already pushing against the lens base. You can look at the lens and see the exact position of the pin
  • Mount the converted lens onto K body like a K lens

There is no strict answer as it can differ on the lens. Remember risks are involved and be warned of the caveats beforehand.

Last edited by hinman; 12-16-2008 at 06:53 PM.