Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't let this happen to you: using M42 Long telephoto lens

Just some of you may know that I was searching for a cheap long telephoto lens, and I jumped in for the SMC 400mm f5.6 M42 mount lens. The lens is great so don't let the title scare you.

I have a M42 adapter that is without the spring plate (it born without it, I didn't take it away. For god sake I don't even know that there is a lock spring until recent), maybe that's the reason why this is happen.

Anyways what happened is that I mount the 400mm to K10D and went to a local park to have some test shots. With the lens mount on tripod I was thinking it is secure, however, without the lens-locking pin hole on the M42 lens, K10D wasn't securely lock with the lens. Therefore, when I pick up the whole setup with the tripod and want to carry it to another location. I slipped (thanks to the snow) and K10D fly up higher than me ( I am about 5 foot 8) and land on the concrete road.

K10D has a small broken place on its shell, onbroad flash won't flash (can pop up tho), no more spot meter (center and martix works fine), other than all these, the K10D works fine.

So I search online and found Hinman's blog about making a hole on the lens for the secure pin. I should have read it earlier :P

How to convert Pentax M42 to K mount lens - Hin's Tech Corner

Now I have the secure pin spot created on the lens, while doing that I also add the metal contact for "Focus trip" with kitchen Aluminium foil. Hopefully I can go out again and have another try when the weather gets better. :ugh:

I will post pic of my battle-damaged k10d and what I did to the lens later

Last edited by vizjerei; 12-02-2008 at 11:50 AM.
12-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

keep in mind not all M42 lenses can have a hole drilled in them

some are so small in diamater that the base never reaches the pin.
12-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

good thing your camera still works. maybe it is about time you consider upgrading
12-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I heard... and I don't think one want to drill a hole on the lens if they are thinking reselling it later too.

I have been considering upgrade all the time, but still waiting for the K30D so I can get a cheap K20D (or maybe just K30D if I can afford one at that time)

12-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

drilling holes in things is fun!

if you need help let me know..
12-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha I did it already in the weekend, it was fun I would also like to try out the focus trip on some bird too ( if we have some good light in Toronto other than just grey and cloudy weather.. )
12-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Banned

I have two pentax m42 adapters, one with lock spring and the other with it removed. I just use the locking one on larger lenses. it only takes half of a second to remove with your finger nail anyway. (after removing the lens of course) I don't think I could bring myself to drill any Takumar.
12-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yea I think the lacking lock spring in my M42 adapter is the reason for what happened. I just got that adapter from one of those old lens comes with my K2 when I bought it. It was until the Toronto MeetUp I saw Gooshin's M42 adapter in action then I realize that it should have something like that (Yes, I have never used one before)

12-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You must be a dentist.

Mickey
12-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
drilling holes in things is fun!

if you need help let me know..

You must be a dentist.

Mickey
12-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote

You must be a dentist.

Mickey
nah, i'm just a hands on type of guy

if its built by man that means it can be modified by man
12-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
nah, i'm just a hands on type of guy

if its built by man that means it can be modified by man
a van gogh was created by man, but I wont be 'modifying' any of those. I just cant really see the point in drilling such a lens. why not just deal with the lock pin? its actually great if you use a lot of Takumars. I guess its better to drill it than have it fall off and destroyed though....
12-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
a van gogh was created by man, but I wont be 'modifying' any of those. I just cant really see the point in drilling such a lens. why not just deal with the lock pin? its actually great if you use a lot of Takumars. I guess its better to drill it than have it fall off and destroyed though....
a van gogh needs no modifiaction, but lets say the frame is broken and needs a new one

i'm quite capable of changing the frame myself, you know?

as for takumar drilling its simply a matter of convenience (and again, not all lenses can be drilled)

1. bayonet is by default faster to switch

2. if you have a bag of mixed lenses, taking off the ring becomes a chore (altho i will not argue that using takumars sort of assumes you are "taking your time")

3. it most definetly does not affect image quality in anyway, its not liek you're drilling the glass , just the base.
12-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
Banned

yes but fixing the frame, doesn't effect much less permanently change the painting in any way. drilling the lens does. maybe im just too sentimental.
12-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The base of the lens is so thick and the pin hole only need about 2mm in depth. But of course do it in your own risk haha

I am thinking to paint that hole to black now so it won't be that noticeable.