Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #1

Small cut out piece D FA 15-30mm 2.8

Hi there,

I posted this question in the B&H forum, but maybe should have posted it here as fellow Pentaxian suggested.

I recently bought a Pentax D FA 15-30mm 2.8 lens, but it apparently has a small blemish in the area of the cut out:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/6459/1767/medium/K1__9036.jpg

where the Tamron version of this lens has a switch for image stabilization.

Was wondering if anyone knows what’s the part number of this small piece and if it can be changed by the user?

Thanks in advance for any information.

09-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you saying that piece on your copy has a blemish? Or are you thinking that piece itself is a blemish? The picture you show is the way it is on the Pentax lens. My copy is exactly as what you show here. Pentax version doesn't feature a switch there, therefore it has that small piece to cover the area.
09-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A blemish there will have no effect on performance. It just covers the switch area which has no function on the Pentax lens. Mine looks just like the photo.
09-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
I used a photo from PentaxReview of the review of this lens to showcase the piece.

But this is my actual lens:

iCloud

Last edited by Igor Sotelo; 09-08-2021 at 02:57 PM.
09-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igor Sotelo Quote
Was wondering if anyone knows what’s the part number of this small piece and if it can be changed by the user?
Are you thinking that the fit of the replacement will be better than on your copy? That is the only blemish I see on your photo?

Edit: I had not seen this later post. Now I see the reason for concern.

But this is my actual lens:

iCloud

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-08-2021 at 06:56 PM.
09-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you thinking that the fit of the replacement will be better than on your copy? That is the only blemish I see on your photo?

Steve
I have yet to receive the lens, but I saw there’s a crack in the mentioned piece and I’m concerned that the WR may be compromised, either by the crack or, since it deformed slightly, perhaps the seals around may not close anymore.
09-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks like it was used as a hammer, definitely looks as though it does not seat properly from the photo. I would be a little concerned.

09-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

did you see the photo of that area before you bought the lens?
09-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on your photo it is not possible to tell if that is a crack, a blemish or a reflection. If it is indeed an actual crack then do not accept the lens unless that was revealed in the sellers listing. You are correct, that would defeat the WR and also be possibly indicative of additional internal damage. But just a mark or "blemish"? Well that would depend on your tolerance for that and the price paid.

Note that there is a small plastic cover or panel in that location that is almost unnoticeable. On my lens it appears to be completely sealed. In fact I never noticed it until this thread.
09-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #10

Ricoh won't sell you parts in any case.

It's difficult to say what is going on from the photo. Looks to me like it was patched with some putty and painted with a fairly good job but not perfect job of match the paint And later a section of the putty flaked off..
09-08-2021, 05:13 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It looks like a dented cause by an impact on that area, isn't it?
I don't think it is cracked, but the photo is a bit too fussy to tell.

I hope you have a better luck than me, but I used to have a lens that was hit reactively hard on the side of its barrel. It doesn't look like anything ever happen to it by the look from the outside. It doesn't even have a scratch, but the impact damage its internal autofocus and aperture control inside.
09-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #12

Original Poster
The lady that sold the lens said it was in a bag and somehow got the ding. Pro’s sometimes have their equipment in a rough state.

The vendor is good, disclosed the problem, also sold me some other stuff that was better than described.

The review of the lens on Pentax forums, says the lens exterior is plastic, perhaps is less resistant, particularly that small part. It would explain why Pentax didn’t name it a star lens.

I contacted Ricoh in the US and the service in Canada, hopefully they respond.

Worse case scenario, will tape it. And check periodically.

If I get the number of the part, maybe could source the part from Japan. Just received the plastic protector for the triangle strap piece and the hotshoe protector that wasn’t possible to find anywhere.

The lens had a good price, IMO. Would have preferred one in better condition, even if more expensive, but modern Pentax equipment is less common than Nikon, Canon or Sony that are plenty available, even locally in Canada. Maybe would have had to wait for a while.
09-10-2021, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

If you're happy with the lenses image quality and function that is the main thing. However if it were mine and I got a really good deal on it I would break out the J-B Weld and be done with it after some touch-up paint.