Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

Adapter Ring to convert Pentax K to M42 (yes that's right)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone ever hear of an adapter than converts a Pentax K lens to fit into a M42 body or accessory like the Pentax Bellows II. No, I do not have to focus at infinity and yes, that is correct, an adapter ring that converts K to M42, not the other way (I already have plenty of those adapter rings)

09-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thinking about a K to M42 adapter ring, like the one from Pentax (but it does not matter the brand) the k-mount flange has to be of a larger diameter than the M42 mount's diameter. You would have to remove material from the k-mount lens to get it inside the bore of the M42 mount.
09-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is difficult, as the diameter of the K-mount is bigger than the M42 mount, so a K-mount lens will not fit inside the mount of a M42 screw mount camera.

The reverse works well, that is M42 to K-mount as the smaller M42 mount fits inside the K-mount opening.

Regards

Chris
09-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In theory, with money and design tools and talent, I would think you could take the mount flange off of the lens, model it up in some 3d modeling software, then change the k-mount flange aspects to be an M42 screw. Then you send the file out to an online job shop that does custom machined parts based on CAD files. Since the distance from flange to sensor/film is the same between K and M42 that dimension shouldn't change or need tweaking to make the lens work to infinity.

You would only want to do this with a lens that has an aperture ring, or you'd be shooting wide open at all times. But this should be doable. It's a bit like a Leitax mount adapter.

09-08-2021, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
Anyone ever hear of an adapter than converts a Pentax K lens to fit into a M42 body or accessory like the Pentax Bellows II. No, I do not have to focus at infinity and yes, that is correct, an adapter ring that converts K to M42, not the other way (I already have plenty of those adapter rings)
Pushing the lens out as far as it would have to be would likely make it macro only. Is that sufficient? There are some k Mount extension tubes that consist of a front and rear mount and tubes that screw together. When you remove the front Mount ring you could work out a thread adapter to connect that part to the m42 Mount I’d guess. The minimum amount of extension isn’t clear but I’d guess more than 12mm.
09-08-2021, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

or the unasked question: why?
09-08-2021, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A set like this is what I think would work to form the k Mount (lens) side of the adapter.

Macro Extension Tube Ring Set for All Pentax PK K Mount K-5II K-5IIs DSLR Camera | eBay

---------- Post added 09-08-21 at 06:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
or the unasked question: why?
I can think of one use; M42 bellows.

09-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a short M42 extension tube and the mount from a broken K-mount camera? You'll probably need a third piece because the extension tube diameter won't be big enough to mount the camera mount piece to it. The third piece could be plastic (like UHMW) which could be made with simple tools, even careful filing.
09-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

I can think of one use; M42 bellows.

gotcha....

I was thinking of what lens would need this set up....?
09-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No, I have not, but you are not the first to ask. To be honest, I have not run across such a converter.

What, precisely, is your use case? It helps if we know exactly what you are trying to do and why using a K-mount lens is compelling. After all, very high quality M42 lenses are readily available at accessible price points.

Steve
09-08-2021, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #11

There isn't such an adapter available off the shelf but PrecisionParts.com will custom machine one for you at $208 USD plus shipping. Minimum effective length would be 16mm. You may need to go longer for the aperture lever clearance (at additional cost).

The price has gone up. Last time this question came up I think it was ~$150 USD.

09-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I recall, there used to be such an adapter sold back in the day... it was for, wait for it, mounting K-mount lenses on M42 bellows..

I've seen them for sale once or twice. The first time I saw one I thought "who would ever need that?"
Then, when I wanted to mount a K-Mount lens on a M42 bellows, I couldn't find one.

At some point, I gave up looking when I found a good deal on a K-mount bellows... and promptly saw another one online... :/

You could work one up in resin with a 3D printer. I've had decent luck with M42 and K adapters (not together, for other things) in resin like that.

-Eric
09-08-2021, 05:03 PM   #13

Original Poster
While I have a vast library of M42 Pentax lenses and the Super Takumar Bellows 100mm/f4.0 M42, I want to be able also to mount any of my library of Pentax K lenses on my Pentax Bellow Unit II (M42) for macro work and experimentation.

I like the idea of sacrificing the shorter length extension rings of the M42 and K mount sets and perhaps gluing/super glue them together. I'll have to dig out and find my Pentax K mount extension tube set and check it out. I have plenty of the Pentax M42 extension tube sets.
09-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
use the K/M lens reversed?
Get an M42 to 49 or 52mm filter thread adaptor, and then step up or step down rings as needed for the lens you want to use?
09-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
use the K/M lens reversed?
Get an M42 to 49 or 52mm filter thread adaptor, and then step up or step down rings as needed for the lens you want to use?
That’s a better option honestly.

---------- Post added 09-08-21 at 10:26 PM ----------

I like the idea of sacrificing the shorter length extension rings of the M42 and K mount sets and perhaps gluing/super glue them together. I'll have to dig out and find my Pentax K mount extension tube set and check it out. I have plenty of the Pentax M42 extension tube sets.
The specific ones I mentioned have the easier to assemble option. Another option is to make an adapter that goes into the bellows - my bellows has removable mounts rings.