Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2021, 05:32 PM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's pretty much a matter of luck. I found my excellent condition Pentax Auto Bellows-A with slide copier attachment with boxes and manuals on EBay for a little over $100 with shipping. It had the dual cable release and magnification scale as well. The only thing missing were the little spools to hold film rolls.

There isn't supposed to be much difference between the K and M bellows though the K tends to run a bit lower price-wise. Functionally there isn't anything different with the A bellows but apparently the dimension on the X rail is different to the parts are not interchangeable with the K and M autobellows.
I started looking on eBay and found the Pentax Bellows M, K, and A units. They are certainly rarer and more expensive than the Bellows II. Perhaps, I can find one at a bargain.

09-14-2021, 09:42 AM   #32

I have a couple of AICO auto bellows .
The same set of bellows are used for all makes of camera that were around at the time . You bought separately the set of mounts to put at each end .
I've mounts for Pentax K , Minolta SR, Canon FD , Nikon F and Olympus OM .
Used with a matching set , you focus with the lens fully open , and the aperture stops down when you fire the shutter , hence the "auto" in the name .
I've used them with mismatched mounts for the same reason as you .
Partly because I wanted to use one mounts lens for macro , and partly just for the sake of it !

I've used them with a 400mm or 500mm lens to reduce the minimum focus distance , as well as more normal use , such as mounting enlarger lenses on for quite high magnification macro .

I bought mine from a used camera store probably at least 25 years ago , and have since bought more mounts .
I've just done a quick search on eBay , but it's come up blank .
You still see them from time to time . The last one I got came with Nikon F mounts , as it was the mounts I were after .
09-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
I started looking on eBay and found the Pentax Bellows M, K, and A units. They are certainly rarer and more expensive than the Bellows II. Perhaps, I can find one at a bargain.
Set a watch filter to email you when something matches.
09-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Set a watch filter to email you when something matches.
Did you find a solution to your adapter problem? I made an adapter by take a Samsung NX and scewing it to a T-Mount adapter. I think to do exactly what your doing for my bellows. I bought extra pieces and I will make one for you at no charge.

09-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #35

Original Poster
I have not yet found a solution, but someone else has also offered to 3-D print me a solution. Thanks for your generous offer nevertheless. So that I understand your solution..it would have to be an adapter Pentax K (female) to T (male) and then from T (male) to fit into M42 (female). Again I am trying to fit a Pentax K lens into a M42 "body" mount.
09-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #36

I think a picture is better! I may not have said it very well, but I believe we are saying the same thing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
09-14-2021, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
or the unasked question: why?
Because pentax is dead and we're switching to the new and improved m42 mount.

09-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #38
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zombiearmy Quote
because pentax is dead and we're switching to the new and improved m42 mount.

( d o o m e d)

(:
09-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dentax Quote
Did you find a solution to your adapter problem? I made an adapter by take a Samsung NX and scewing it to a T-Mount adapter. I think to do exactly what your doing for my bellows. I bought extra pieces and I will make one for you at no charge.
T-mount is a 42mm thread, but isn't it a different thread pitch from the Pentax M42 mount (0.75 thread/mm vs 1 thread/mm)?

Trying to mount that might cause a painful disagreement between the adapter and the bellows if that's the case...

-Eric
09-14-2021, 06:15 PM   #40

Original Poster
I think a picture is better! I may not have said it very well, but I believe we are saying the same thing.
If the threads are M42 Pentax and not T-threads, then that exactly what I need!
09-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #41

The diameter of the NX mount is 42mm. I suppose if you remove the bayonet tabs it will fit into the throat of any T-mount adapter including one for a M42 mount.

But then you would still be relying on whatever adhesive is used to bond them together. The shaft of the NX mount doesn't look long enough that you could drill through the inner T-threaded ring on the T-mount adapter to use longer grub screws to help secure the NX adapter. Depending on the epoxy and the coatings you may not get a good bond.
09-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #42

I am sure this will work for what you are doing. The adapter will bayonet a Pentax K on the front and will screw into the M42 on the back. I am also using it for bellows, same application. I have to turn body flange off of the body of the Samsung adapter, then drill and tap holes in the T-mount adapter and then drill holes in the Samsung adapter. I have a machine shop and do this kind of stuff all the time. I should be able to make it tomorrow. I will attach the T-mount to the Samsung adapter with 2-56 screws, NO GLUE! You can see the head of the screws in the picture, I posted.
09-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sure this will work for what you are doing. The adapter will bayonet a Pentax K on the front and will screw into the M42 on the back. I am also using it for bellows, same application. I have to turn body flange off of the body of the Samsung adapter, then drill and tap holes in the T-mount adapter and then drill holes in the Samsung adapter. I have a machine shop and do this kind of stuff all the time. I should be able to make it tomorrow. I will attach the T-mount to the Samsung adapter with 2-56 screws, NO GLUE! You can see the head of the screws in the picture, I posted.
I’m interested as it would be useful for me to leverage my m42 bellows.
09-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #44

I offered to do it for Kingman first and if he does't want it, it is yours. I will make one for you, but I don't know if I have all the parts. The parts came China from two different places on Ebay, so delivery is the issue. The parts cost about $20.00. I need the PK to NX adapter and the T-mount to M42 adapter.
09-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #45
Pentaxian

You can buy a PK->Tmount (made for T-mount bellows) and a Tmount->m42 off ebay right now for $30 or so.