Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2021, 02:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA*200 review

A review like this, SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database , should in my opinion be deleted. DA*200 is certainly worth more than a rating like 1

09-10-2021, 03:08 AM   #2

Leave it up. It tells you more about the "reviewer" than the lens.
09-10-2021, 03:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
But it affects the average rating and it is not good if one is going to sell such a lens. I think buyers are using this database to evaluate lenses.
09-10-2021, 04:02 AM - 4 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

it's no worse than the recently-added reviews of the 100mm and 50mm macro lenses that give the lenses a '3'...

or the reviews that downgrade a MF lens for being MF....

or reviews that have no photos showing the upside or downside of the lens, but forcing the reader to try to imagine the reviewer's particular points....

people that are basing their purchasing decisions based on words are buying into their own problems....

09-10-2021, 04:38 AM - 4 Likes   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
But it affects the average rating and it is not good if one is going to sell such a lens.
Of the 33 reviews of this cracker of a lens, this single review score of 1 has not changed the average much at all from an impressive 9.06.
I think buyers are using this database to evaluate lenses.
If any buyer chooses not to purchase a lens because of an obviously poor method of reviewing, then that is a good thing IMO, because it leaves the lens to be bought by somebody who can appreciate the quality, and knows how to use it. We can't delete bad reviews just because we disagree with them.
Better to feel sorry for the reviewer for not being able to use, and assess such quality gear properly......................
09-10-2021, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Of the 33 reviews of this cracker of a lens, this single review score of 1 has not changed the average much at all from an impressive 9.06.

If any buyer chooses not to purchase a lens because of an obviously poor method of reviewing, then that is a good thing IMO, because it leaves the lens to be bought by somebody who can appreciate the quality, and knows how to use it. We can't delete bad reviews just because we disagree with them.
Better to feel sorry for the reviewer for not being able to use, and assess such quality gear properly......................
I agree completely. When I look at user reviews I make my consideration of the product based on the consensus all reviews. In this case the one negative review stands as an outlier rather than an example of a problem issue characteristic of this lens. I bought my copy of this lens in 2012 and posted my review of it in 2014. I gave it a highly positive overall assessment of 9. Currently I still have it and l use it. I did note purple fringing in my initial review but now know how to virtually eliminate it as an issue. If I were asked to review it again I would still give it a 9 which is what most of the reviewers gave it. Why a 9 and not a 10 because I have since acquired the DA* 300 and find that lens one increment better and give that a 10.

Last edited by jddwoods; 09-10-2021 at 10:31 AM.
09-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love that lens , goes well with FF K-1's,
with Pentax-F AF 1.7x teleconverter gives you impressive compact 340mm rig.

09-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I base the credibility of refers on images provided. No images, I don't read it. The images are the only way to know if the reviewer knows what he's talking about. Why would I take a review from guy who couldn't take decent picture if his life depended on it seriously? You avoid those people. The other question I have in mind would be, do they shoot what I shoot? I honestly don't care much about what a commercial photographer doing product photography shoots. The problem with the review rating of 1 is, he's never established his credibility as knowledgeable. Quite simply, there's a very high probability he doesn't know what he's talking about. Learning to ignore the uniformed is part of the process of using the data base.

Last edited by normhead; 09-10-2021 at 07:24 AM.
09-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A review like this, SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database , should in my opinion be deleted. DA*200 is certainly worth more than a rating like 1
The review has been there for many years now. It should not be deleted, because everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think you will agree with me that there is no opinion at all, just a shout. And the moderators should not be censoring this, the review is not insulting or bashing or otherwise of a nature that it should not be allowed. Most people here will notice that it lacks a sound base of arguments that give grounds for the remark and the rating. Reviews are never to be trusted, even when there is a picture attached (after all, it could be photoshopped to illustrate the argument).
09-10-2021, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
The review has been there for many years now. It should not be deleted, because everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think you will agree with me that there is no opinion at all, just a shout. And the moderators should not be censoring this, the review is not insulting or bashing or otherwise of a nature that it should not be allowed. Most people here will notice that it lacks a sound base of arguments that give grounds for the remark and the rating. Reviews are never to be trusted, even when there is a picture attached (after all, it could be photoshopped to illustrate the argument).
With all due respect, I have no problem deciding what criteria to use, when evaluating a reviewer. Simply stated, it can't be done without images. Are these photoshopping miscreants you claim exist changing the exif and everything else to prove their point? What would be their motivation?

My one an only question is do I like the way the lens renders, and is it appropriate to what I shoot. Your suggestion you can do that without images is ridiculous. Liking the way a lens renders is personal. It's absolutely impossible to make judgement based on someone else's opinion. They can hate the lens and give it a 1 based on their personal biases. If there's an image there you can make up your own mind, independent of their bias.

Reviews without images are worthless. Rendering is everything. Rendering is what we buy lenses for.
09-10-2021, 07:38 AM - 3 Likes   #11
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Moderator request

Folks, please don't let differing opinions become arguments, They haven't yet, but the seeds are there. Agree to disagree respectfully.

Thanks.
09-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Sorry Normhead, I agree with you, but you gave the best argument there is: "My one an only question is do I like the way the lens renders, and is it appropriate to what I shoot". That is the only review one needs.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 09-10-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: unquoting the quote
09-10-2021, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

remove the 10% best and worst values to get a more reliable average
09-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #14

The lens is a stunner
The level of detail it captures at distances and the bokeh it captures close up and the colour it renders ,make it one of the best pieces of glass that Pentax produced for crop sensors and also will do full frame.
I donít need the da 300mm even though itís fantastic but I will never sell this DA 200*, itís just that good
09-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Itís my favorite lens. Period.