Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well after countless days of reading reviews and talking to people I ordered the Pentax 16-45 f4.

Many people have commented on the clarity and sharpness of the picture, and the lens was pretty cheap, I got it for $244 +tax, this means I can blast my tax return on the DA* 50-135. It was important for me to have that wide angle more then having a fast lens since I will be using this for skiing and taking quite large views and snowy mountains are not exactly low light areas. Wide angle will shine there.

Also, if I get snow in it or something I wont feel so bad about loosing $250 over the Tamron 17-60 which is 400 or the sigma 18-50 EX MACRO for 375.

From what I read the 16-45 is much sharper then the Sigma 17-70, and the Pentax 17-70 did not get very good reviews from a lot of people.

To be honest I thought moving to digital would help me get away from primes and I could have 2-3 lenses for everything, but the kit lens was useless. I have been using the 50 and the 77 limited almost exclusively. Also a few days ago I got the 14mm and that lens is amazing, i have not taken it off. I also have a Tamron 90mm but that has not seen much action.

Well I was wrong, and I bought now my first zoom lens the 16-45, I hope it is a nice lens to replace the kit.

If it works the way advertised, I can take that and the future 50-135 and carry only two lenses (well the 50mm too so 3 lenses). I got some quality filters for the snow, although the only filter I ever use is a Kodak UV.