Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DA 1.4 X won't work with FA Limiteds- why?

Recently I picked up a DA 1.4x teleconverter, new on sale. I got it primarily to extend the reach of my DA 300/4, but the paperwork also said it's compatible with the 31 and 77 FA Limiteds. I tried that out for the first time today and got awful results. The edge detail on the 31 was so poor that the blur stood out in the viewfinder. The 77 was considerably better, but still lousy. Only at f16-22 could I get decent edge sharpness. The two lenses perform beautifully by themselves on my K-1. Could I be making some kind of mistake here? This is an unpleasant surprise. Even the staff review here mentions using the 1.4x with the FA 77.

Here's a corner crop of a flat rock face, with the center in good focus.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-12-2021, 11:08 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is this with the K-1? The DA 1.4x is an APS-C teleconverter, so you should set the camera to crop mode when using it. Some lenses are better than others in full frame mode, but the results will never be optimal.

Also, doesn't having the 77mm kind of defeat the purpose of trying to use the 31mm with a TC?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2021, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I don't have either of the two lenses mentioned, but received wisdom has always led me to believe that the use of a TC should be restricted to longer focal length lenses, certainly over 50mm.
09-13-2021, 01:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The TC is a aps-c design.

09-13-2021, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I’ve used the 1.4x on some shorter lenses for the single in challenge for variety, it’s a novelty when used this way. The only time it makes sense to me to use it is when; 1) you have limited choices with you and need the framing just right and have sufficient light; or 2) you need reach; and 3) you’re shooting on apsc.

But that’s just my view.
09-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I'm getting a little old to make these rookie mistakes, aren't I? My confusion stemmed from the Pentax literature, and seeing that the 77/1.4x combo gave sufficient image circle to cover FF. That didn't mean it was a good image inside that circle. I really don't need the TC on my Limiteds, I'd crop my K-1 by 1.5x instead, but it might be handy some day.
09-14-2021, 03:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
The paperwork also said it's compatible with the 31 and 77 FA Limiteds. I tried that out for the first time today and got awful results.
Compatible shouldn't suggest that anyone should go out an try it and expect flawless results.