Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've done several sets of pics comparing 1.4/1.5/1.7x tc's, using primarily my adaptall 300mm f2.8's and my DFA 150-450mm. My pentax 1.4x tc was definitely not the worst, however it wasn't really conclusively the best either - tending to best but within the errors and inconsistencies of the testing. Just emphasises that it is the base lens quality that counts really.

09-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see a bit more detail in the non-Pentax shots and less purple fringing. It is quite close. It would also be useful to see a cropped image (no tc) and see how the underlying lens performed. This is also a sample size of 1. So drawing conclusions seems difficult.

---------- Post added 09-14-21 at 04:24 PM ----------

Are these made on a crop body?
09-14-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
but now with pixel-dense cameras like the K3 and later cameras you get better results cropping the images taken with just the lens than with the lens+converter.
I sort of agree with you but it's close. I also think the bigger focus target helps as in the Goshawk above.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What was the underlying lens used?
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Are these made on a crop body?
K3III + DA*300 (see EXIF)

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I'd pick 'em in this order: tamron, kenko, pentax
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The Pentax TC is pretty obviously the worst performer here.

In tests the other day I'd put the Pentax first, which is why I started my post with the conclusion I did. I suspect that multiple tests under controlled conditions would be needed to pick a winner optically and even then it may not be a clear winner.
09-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
K3III + DA*300 (see EXIF)
On my mobile the Exif doesn’t show (iOS safari).

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
In tests the other day I'd put the Pentax first, which is why I started my post with the conclusion I did. I suspect that multiple tests under controlled conditions would be needed to pick a winner optically and even then it may not be a clear winner.
And in my opinion multiple copies of both lens and tc. Additionally more lenses to cross check interactions. This is a tough area. Ideally Pentax would allow a setting to enable third party teleconverters that tool Exif and changes it by a user entered factor. But that’s probably a pipe dream.