Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #16
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Go out and take pictures. If it does not perform to your expectations, haggle with the seller. If that seems clumsy, sell the lens.

I would expect that if members here had done such testing, they probably would have posted something and a tradition of sorts might have sprung up. Strangely, few, if any, have the patience or expertise to actually do that kind of testing. I can't remember seeing such in the fifteen years or so I have been on PF.

Steve
Steve, looks like I'm only one here who gone crazy. Anyway, testing charts and all related stuff is very complicated thing, I understand that, and there is no need for normal user to know every details there but very basics like sharpness and decentering tests are imho important when someone is purchasing new or used lens, doesn't matter. It is just for me, better to use dedicated chart for this purpose instead of shooting rocks.

09-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Steve, looks like I'm only one here who gone crazy. Anyway, testing charts and all related stuff is very complicated thing, I understand that, and there is no need for normal user to know every details there but very basics like sharpness and decentering tests are imho important when someone is purchasing new or used lens, doesn't matter. It is just for me, better to use dedicated chart for this purpose instead of shooting rocks.
Not that there's anything wrong with shooting rocks...
09-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #18
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not that there's anything wrong with shooting rocks...
Welcome to the thread!! which only god knows why I have started by the way.
09-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
only god knows why I have started by the way.
Your original post made sense to me.

I've used various charts to examine the 'sharpness' profile and focus accuracy of my lenses. However, the resulting images are not the sort of thing I would have posted here for general discussion. I think that there probably are other members who also tinker with this type of testing.

Regrettably, I do not own a DFA* 70-200.

- Craig