Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2021, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1

A comparison: Takumar 135mm f3.5 (preset) vs Super-Takumar 135mm f3.5

A few weeks ago, I posted a question about two beautiful lenses that I happened to come across by. My initial question was about which of both to keep and which to sell. Of course, as expected, I got a lot of feedback about why not to keep both... Well, some time ago I decided that I needed to set boundaries for myself because somehow I tend to keep everything that's originally meant to be sold. However, as some people suggested, this would be a great opportunity to do a little comparison of both lenses.

Today I had a day off from work, the weather was okay (it was a little overcast, but there was little wind and no rain) so I grabbed my tripod, packed my bag, and off I went.

Since I am not a professional photographer or reviewer in any sense, I am completely aware that this isn't anywhere near a full comparison or review. This was just done for the sake of having fun and actually trying to find out if there are any directly visible differences between the two.

(Shot with the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 200mm f4.0)

Both lenses were coupled to my Sony A6300 using a K&F Concept adapter. I went from f4 all the way to f22 on shutter priority mode, with focus set on 7 meters for the next couple of shots.

f4

(Takumar preset version)

(Super Takumar version)

Right away, on f4, some differences in contrast are visible (the front element of the preset version seems to be yellowed a bit, is this a thorium lens?). The Takumar preset version of this lens has 8 aperture blades and 5 elements in 4 groups. The Super-Takumar has 6 aperture blades and 4 elements in 4 groups. According to the data found in the ultimate Asahi Pentax Collector's Guide by Gerjan van Oosten, both have a minimum focussing distance of 1,5 meters.

f8

(Takumar preset version)

(Super Takumar version)

Still not that much differences other than color and contrast.

f16

(Takumar preset version)

(Super Takumar version)

You can see that the Takumar preset version of this lens shows slightly more details in the background and seems to render less distortion between the background and the cane in the foreground.

f22

(Takumar preset version)

(Super Takumar version)

What does actually seem to differ in these shots is that the newer, probably better coated Super-Takumar version, offers a slightly sharper image at f22 than the Takumar preset version. I also noticed that the overall image that the preset version produces is flatter on the eye than the image of the newer version of this lens. This might be due to the extra element or due to a different coating maybe. The optics of both lenses are in pristine condition, so this has nothing to do with damaged coatings or hazed glass.

Bokeh and a closer focus range
Since there was not that much interesting to photograph other than leaves, cane and the occasional duck or bird in the distance, I lowered my tripod and aimed at the lower cane near my knees. The wind started to pick up and the cane and leaves started to move a lot, so it was a little more difficult to capture any significant changes. I tried my best on this one.

For the following pictures, I went from f3.5 to f22 and I will highlight some of the pictures below.

f3.5

(Takumar preset version)

(Super Takumar version)

Due to its 8 aperture blades, one can expect that the bokeh on the older preset version of this lens should be a little better and smoother on the eye. However, it seems that the bokeh rendering of the newer Super-Takumar version is a little more "creamy".

f5.6

(Takumar preset version)

(Super Takumar version)

On f5.6, these images seem to be identical. Both lenses offer a smooth bokeh and soft background rendering on a 1,5m focus distance. Even the slight yellowing of the older preset version as seen in the shots above from a 7 meter to infinity focussing range, does not seem to show on a close focussing range.

f11

(Takumar preset version)

(Super Takumar version)

On f11 both lenses are still sharp and overall not that many differences are visible.

f22

(Takumar preset version)

(Super Takumar version)

Despite both pictures being dramatically out of focus (like I said, the wind was really killing the vibe..) not that much changes come to light.

The conclusion
Both lenses perform equally when taken out in the field like I did today. It seems that the newer Super-Takumar version offers a slightly sharper image from f8 till f22. The older preset version brings its own kind of sharpness that is near the sharpness of the newer version, but just a little softer in detail.

In my opinion, the newer Super-Takumar version deserves more credit than it currently gets. It is a great lens that offers a great focal distance for when you need a little more than what you are used to shooting with. The older preset version is equally a great lens, but needs a little more getting used to working with because of the preset aperture. I noticed that the preset aperture is pretty easy to change by accident while focussing, but this might be on me because I have big hands. The preset aperture automatically makes this one a more suited and logical option for when you shoot a lot of video.

Either way, both lenses are great as we are used to from Asahi Pentax lenses. I am leaning towards liking the newer Super-Takumar version more because of its overall built quality and the fact that its images seem to be a little sharper.

Full album here.

- Daniël

Last edited by Dandarious; 09-17-2021 at 12:41 PM.
09-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting comparison, thanks for posting.

The "yellow" is likely the result of thorium content.
The yellow probably is auto corrected by your camera if set on auto white balance, or at least significantly reduced in effect.
09-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Interesting comparison, thanks for posting.

The "yellow" is likely the result of thorium content.
The yellow probably is auto corrected by your camera if set on auto white balance, or at least significantly reduced in effect.
Thanks for the comment! So another radioactive lens made it to my collection xD. White balance was set to manual for this comparison. It remains a mistery to me why the yellowing only shows in the pictures with more highlights.

-Daniël
09-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I find presets a little easier to use on digital. You can set the preset aperture you want to shoot the picture with, go to wide open for focusing and stop down to your desired aperture without thinking since it'll hard stop there. All while keeping it in AV mode. I of course prefer the automatic lenses for film use since it'll properly stop down.

09-17-2021, 09:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice comparison. If you're going to keep one consider keeping the preset version. Although not all that uncommon they are more scarce. Until your post I didn't even know there was a preset version of the 135mm.
I have four or five preset lenses and they all perform well.