Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2021, 11:36 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

What do you do when you crack the rear element on your lens?

image from the ebay auction

Well, you just keep shooting of course.

I'm honestly astonished by the results. I did some test shots at f11 and couldn't actually see any issues (not posting here cause it's in my yard). This makes me incredibly excited to do a SIC next month with this lens and really put it through it's paces. Is anyone here interested in a comprehensive review of a cracked lens after the month?

The lens is the venerable FA* 85mm f1.4. A lens that I'd have absolutely no way to afford if not in this state

09-24-2021, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I replaced once the rear element of the A* 135/1.8. It was very cheap. About $40. Worth to check out if Pentax can fix it.
09-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Unbelievable. Is it that good at all focal distances? And how in the name of all that's holy does someone crack the rear element ?! Does it stick right out or something??
09-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I replaced once the rear element of the A* 135/1.8. It was very cheap. About $40. Worth to check out if Pentax can fix it.
Yah once I have funds I plan on seeing if I can get it fixed. But it's nice to know that it seems to work just fine (on APSC at least).

09-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Those are some surprisingly nice images.

I seem to recall a recent thread with a similar chip out of a lens and the person indicated it was causing some interesting flares when the sun hit it at the "right" angle, but was otherwise pretty OK on APS-C.

Then there is this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/197570-...ed-lenses.html

I'd think the rear element would be super noticeable, so I suspect it's just outside the APS-C image circle.

Last edited by trixtroll; 09-24-2021 at 12:35 PM.
09-24-2021, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Unbelievable. Is it that good at all focal distances? And how in the name of all that's holy does someone crack the rear element ?! Does it stick right out or something??
Yah I tested it on longer distances and I seriously couldn't notice anything, even boosting the exposure trying to find blemishes. I will have examples I'm sure when I star doing the SIC challenge. I'm sure the central crack has to show up SOMEWHERE, probably at f16 or something.

And no the rear element seems pretty standard to me. It's not super recessed like the Tamron 90mm or anything but it's not sticking out like the Tak 50 1.4 8 element.
09-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice. - I wondered if that would give you any trouble when you previewed that lens....

09-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I'd think the rear element would be super noticeable, so I suspect it's just outside the APS-C image circle.
The seller had example shots on a k-1. He said that wide open and slightly stopped down was fine but became noticeable stopped down to f8 or f11. So I assume on APSC the big damage is just out of frame entirely.
09-24-2021, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can see the chips not causing a problem on aspc, or much of one- but is that a crack or reflection extending across the rear element?
If a closed crack, it must be "invisible" when viewed straight on - thus not interfering !?
09-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I can see the chips not causing a problem on aspc, or much of one- but is that a crack or reflection extending across the rear element?
If a closed crack, it must be "invisible" when viewed straight on - thus not interfering !?
That is indeed a crack going across
09-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done on taking the chance, it gives me hope that if mine falls I might not panic so much if the rear element is exposed! Now the bigger question is did it scratch the paint finish ?

Here's what my SIC looked like https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDWcs5u
09-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Well done on taking the chance, it gives me hope that if mine falls I might not panic so much if the rear element is exposed! Now the bigger question is did it scratch the paint finish ?
Oh the paint is awful on this lens.
09-24-2021, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

It's amazing how much damage of that sort a lens can take and still give a good image.
It's also amazing how little cleaning marks it takes to ruin a lens.
09-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@ZombieArmy

my first thought before I saw the images was to advise you throw a party:

after seeing the results

I don't know
09-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote