Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Zeiss.... metering??

I got a question that I would love you guys to help me on... I've been seriously considering the new zk mount zeiss lens such as 35mm distagon and 100mm makro-planar. I obviously know that its a manual focus lens, in fact I love manual focus! But the question is, will the metering work?

Please, I'm not looking for "you should buy limiteds instead", or "too expensive" kind of comments..

Thanks

edit: I have K200D btw

Last edited by Pentoxic; 12-03-2008 at 10:01 AM.
12-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. The new Zeiss ZK lenses have the "A" type mount. As with all "A" type lenses, they should provide full compatibility and accurate metering with all exposure modes.

Steve
12-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentoxic Quote
I got a question that I would love you guys to help me on... I've been seriously considering the new zk mount zeiss lens such as 35mm distagon and 100mm makro-planar. I obviously know that its a manual focus lens, in fact I love manual focus! But the question is, will the metering work?

Please, I'm not looking for "you should buy limiteds instead", or "too expensive" kind of comments..

Thanks

edit: I have K200D btw
if you mean automatic metering (ie, you do nothing) then the newer ziess lenses will work perfectly fine

if you mean metering in general, then metering always works, so long as there is light hitting the meter, and the meter is not broken.
12-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it So I guess Pentax version Zeiss offers more than their Nikons because their automatic metering only work on D200 body and up due to Ai-S mounts. Though their body offers better viewfinder and focus indicator We got in body IS though

By the way, I'm having hard time manual focusing on my k200d... especially when I'm using it with big aperature like f/1.4.. its like miss, miss, and hit

I know katzeye helps but I'd prefer not to use it because I don't like the idea of modifying as well as cluttering the vf. Is there any other route that can actually aid my manual focusing? I might check those vf magnifier... I've also heard that the k20d live view actually has a 10x??? magnifying option. How does it work? I don't mind about switching body especially since k20d price is dropping reallly fast

12-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Wow thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it So I guess Pentax version Zeiss offers more than their Nikons because their automatic metering only work on D200 body and up due to Ai-S mounts. Though their body offers better viewfinder and focus indicator We got in body IS though

By the way, I'm having hard time manual focusing on my k200d... especially when I'm using it with big aperature like f/1.4.. its like miss, miss, and hit

I know katzeye helps but I'd prefer not to use it because I don't like the idea of modifying as well as cluttering the vf. Is there any other route that can actually aid my manual focusing? I might check those vf magnifier... I've also heard that the k20d live view actually has a 10x??? magnifying option. How does it work? I don't mind about switching body especially since k20d price is dropping reallly fast
I think the K20d will be a worthwhile upgrade for the better viewfinder and live view. The live view can be used for manual focusing, but it's not nearly as good as it should be. The live preview lets you zoom in 4x or 8x, but you're zooming in on screen resolution images so the results are really pixelated (zooming in is like looking at the screen with a loupe). I usually look for moire / shimmering to see when the object is in focus. The preview also lags by a fair bit, maybe 1/3 second or so. Still, it's a lot better than nothing, and I use it frequently.

btw, there's a few zeiss lenses currently for sale in the marketplace.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/43065-5-voigtlander-zk-lenses.html
12-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Set a ruler on a table and try focusing on a specific number. See if you are hitting long or short with regularity and adjust your diopter accordingly.

I've done this several times and still don't think I've hit the best place for my eyes yet, but my ratio definately improved after the first time doing this.

Also, fwiw, the Zeiss are great lenses. If you can convince yourself to fork out the initial investment, you'll surely enjoy them for years to come.

K.
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece definitely helps. But perhaps more important is to understand that the viewfinder lies to you about what's on focus with wide aperture s- it always shows *more* DOF than the picture will actually contain. So there will be things in focus in the viewfinder that are not in focus in the actual picture - every time. This is due to the design of the focus screen. The trick is in learning to anticipate this, so you know *which* things that appear to be in focus in the viewfinder won't be in the actual picture. On my camera, it's the objects toward the *rear* of the in-focus zone that end up not in focus. So I make sure my subject is toward the front. Takes some practice to think about focus this way, but it works.

Apparently the Katzeye screen doesn't have this issue, nor do the old ground-glass screens (but they are really too dark to focus well given the smaller size of the viewfinder).
12-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I greatly appreciate you all for your help!!

Walter - I checked the dpreview site and I guess you are right on the k20d liveview... It seems useful but the magnification option doesn't look too well

thePrirate - Thank you so much for informing me about the diopter adjustment!! I just worked on it and it seems to me that mf became a little bit easier. My current setting is at to the farthest right. Does this mean my eye is bad or what

Mark - O-ME53 really does look good.. I think I'm going to try it out at local calumet store and see if it works out for me!!

BTW I just found out this option on my k200d manual about "catch-in-focus". It sounded really nice to me and thought maybe this will help me out greatly on manual focus only zeiss lineups.. I tried it on my FA50 on manual mode but it didn't work out because there is no af/mf on the lens itself...

Did anyone here tried it on any manual lens or zeiss?? If so, how did it work out?