Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2021, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
For the rest of you - OP essentially writes “I have an older Pentax DSLR that I like that’s worth about $125, and I want an affordable option for an autofocus ~600mm lens”.
I guess that would include me, as I posted earlier.

Didn't the OP say: "I was looking to see if there a DSLR lens available 200-600mm @ F6 - F12 < $500.00?" Would you have any suggestions to fit that upper limit in their budget?

- Craig

10-09-2021, 08:09 PM - 3 Likes   #137
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is the full-functionality path forward for autofocus or auto aperture K mount lenses?
Mounting them on Pentax DSLR bodies. With a handful of exceptions (such as aperture control of KAF4 lenses on pre-2013 bodies), any K-mount lens will work on any Pentax DSLR body. [Including APS-C lenses on FF bodies in crop mode, and in some circumstances in FF mode.] That is as fully functional as you can get.

Lots of members here use them with adapters on mirrorless bodies too.
A Canon EOS R -and- the EF lens adapter cost $1,100, while the k1-II is $1,800. That is a $700 difference!
At B&H, I'm seeing $1799 for the EOS R: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433710-REG/canon_eos_r_mirrorless_di...981&. Same as a K-1ii.
there is a very solid chance that Pentax will be gone in 10 years, and with it the K mount.
People have been saying this for the last 10 years too. Pentax has survived and expanded, while Nikon and Olympus (to mention just two) have been in deep trouble.

We are all rather tired of "Pentax is doomed" posts. And it's off the thread topic, which is about 3rd party lenses in K-mount.

Last edited by Des; 10-09-2021 at 08:42 PM.
10-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Mounting them on Pentax DSLR bodies. With a handful of exceptions (such as aperture control of KAF4 lenses on pre-2013 bodies), any K-mount lens will work on any Pentax DSLR body. [Including APS-C lenses on FF bodies in crop mode, and in some circumstances in FF mode.] That is as fully functional as you can get.

Lots of members here use them with adapters on mirrorless bodies too.
So lots of people are using modern Pentax lenses, including autofocus/no-aperture ring lenses, with full functionality, on mirrorless cameras? Including KAF4 lenses? That’s news to me.

QuoteQuote:
At B&H, I'm seeing $1799 for the EOS R: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433710-REG/canon_eos_r_mirrorless_di...981&. Same as a K-1ii.
I meant the RP. Sorry about that. Its $1k at Adorama. I didn’t check B&H.

QuoteQuote:
People have been saying this for the last 10 years too. Pentax has survived and expanded, while Nikon and Olympus (to mention just two) have been in deep trouble.

We are all rather tired of "Pentax is doomed" posts. And it's off the thread topic, which is about 3rd party lenses in K-mount.
Don’t you think that Pentax only existing as a sub-brand, for a company that otherwise still makes cameras, is a sign of past trouble? How about the very slow release of new models? Olympus, even at their worst, at least managed to make a new housing for last years model to freshen it up. Pentax was often hard pressed to release a new color. Out of the 6 major camera brands, Pentax is 6th in sales. That’s a precarious place to be in a shrinking market, especially when clinging to a technology that all the other guys have -as you yourself pointed out- have either completely or mostly abandoned.

It’s 100% obvious that Ricoh is trying to keep Pentax profitable on margin instead of volume. $2,000 for the new K3 III!!!! (Side note - the worst Pentax model name since *istD.) Some say Pentax is trying to be a niche player, but I would say that they have been for a long time. One only need look at the number of models Pentax offers, vs the number of models Leica offers, to see all the evidence of that anyone should need.

But for the record, I never said Pentax is doomed. Leica has been a niche brand for at least my entire life, and they are still around. What I said is it’s future is unclear. Maybe they will be the only DSLR company in 10 years. Maybe Ricoh will pull a 180 and do basically the same thing as Canon/Nikon. Maybe they will go L mount. Maybe the only Pentax thing left in a decade will be a mount adapter to some other Ricoh camera. I have no idea, and I doubt anyone in the general public knows more than I do. Meanwhile, the future of both Canon and Nikon seem fairly obvious.

As far as this thread is concerned, OP was looking or an affordable autofocus wildlife setup. The discussion of other brands is relevant, because there is no such thing as an affordable autofocus Pentax wildlife setup.
10-10-2021, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #139
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As far as this thread is concerned, OP was looking or an affordable autofocus wildlife setup. The discussion of other brands is relevant, because there is no such thing as an affordable autofocus Pentax wildlife setup.
I agree that the discussion of affordable wildlife photography options - including options other than Pentax - is relevant, since the OP clarified what they were really looking for. (I've been part of that discussion myself.) But you are going down another path which is not, and which risks hijacking the thread, or bringing it to a premature end.

Last edited by Des; 10-10-2021 at 02:31 PM.
10-10-2021, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #140
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryn Quote
Wow.. why the rantings ? I have 3 Pentax DSLR lenses and 3 vintage Pentax lenses for my old K1000. I got the bug to go with a lens with more reach when I bought a vintage 500mm mirror lens and started to experiment with my old K-x taking shots of the moon. I was hoping to find a lens that I can take shots of the moon, jupiter, saturn, birds, airplanes in flight, and fast enough to take shots of the r/c aircraft flying at my clubs airfield. I guess I can manually focus and use the green button for metering... and wait until the aircraft is performing a stunt and take the shot. A newer DSLR lens that I can use in Program mode would be a good to have. I started this thread because I of the limited choice of lenses. I take photos as a hobby, not a business. The current Pentax line of Telephoto lenses is too expensive. $4k for a 560mm lens! Another lens that would get the job done is Pentax F FA 150-450mm but it sells for $2k. That's why I bought an old 500mm mirror lens. It has a very narrow depth of field and a limited life because I see some fungus inside it. So I'm looking for a telephoto or prime DSLR lens with reach.

I may be forced to go old school and but an Orion Apex 90mm scope, attach it to the camera via a T adapter and call it a day.

I was looking to see if there a DSLR lens available 200-600mm @ F6 - F12 < $500.00
My next lens will be the smc Asahi Pentax M Green Star 300mm. Yes, it's only 300mm; however, I read that it is so good that you can use a teleconverter on it with little noticeable loss of image quality. Perhaps you would consider that? Of course, it is a manual prime lens.
10-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you mean other than the fact that both Canon and Nikon have inexpensive, easily available mount adapters that let their DSLR lenses work 100% with their new mirrorless lineups? A Canon EOS R -and- the EF lens adapter cost $1,100, while the k1-II is $1,800.
I'd looked at the EOS-R for my shooting partner a while back and it was far more expensive than $950 and change. (She decided my Pentax gear was better for what we do). Has the value of them dropped that drastically in just a year?

EDIT: Just noticed someone else mentioned the pricing and the OP noting he made a mistake and meant the RP. That's certainly no K1.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-10-2021 at 05:56 PM.
10-10-2021, 07:21 PM - 3 Likes   #142
Pentaxian

And for those of you talking trash about Canon and Nikon, I really think you guys are in some sort of weird denial.
Exactly who's doing that? You could have at least provided a quote so we have clue what you're talking about.

I shoot beside Canon and Nikon shooters 10-15 times year. Somehow I manage to do just fine.

A few of my images.
Wildlife | Flickr

Do, you shoot Pentax with Canon and Nikon shooters. Or are you thinking because most shooters shoot Canon or Nikon that makes them better gear? Despite what you've posted, I shoot next to Canon, Nikon and Sony shooter, wildlife and birds with my Pentax gear. And I'm not shooting a K-3 iii, I'm shooting K-1 and original K-3.

But given your vast experience, I'd be interested in your comparison of the K-3iii for wildlife, or even a K-3.

10-11-2021, 01:49 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly who's doing that? You could have at least provided a quote so we have clue what you're talking about.
Why? What would that have actually accomplished, other than ruffling the feathers of specific individuals, and then having this argument a half dozen times with a half dozen individuals? The people who did as I said know who they are, or at least they should. It was a message to a group. I’m not going to personalize it just so others can get their internet rage points for the day.

QuoteQuote:
I shoot beside Canon and Nikon shooters 10-15 times year. Somehow I manage to do just fine.
I don’t care. That isn’t really relevant to the discussion.

QuoteQuote:
A few of my …
I don’t care about your photographs, as they aren’t relevant to this discussion.

QuoteQuote:
Do, you shoot Pentax with Canon and Nikon shooters.
Again, not relevant, but I’ll answer anyway: For me photography is often a solitary act. Except when I’m photographing people, I’d generally rather be alone.

QuoteQuote:
Or are you thinking because most shooters shoot Canon or Nikon that makes them better gear?
I think if Pentax made objectively better professional grade gear for shooting wildlife, for comparable money, then there would be a lot bigger slice of the professional wildlife photography market shooting on Pentax.

More in line with the thread, I believe if you are trying to get into wildlife photography on a shoestring budget, Pentax is the wrong brand for that job.

QuoteQuote:
Despite what you've posted, I shoot next to Canon, Nikon and Sony shooter, wildlife and birds with my Pentax gear.
When you are out shooting with these Other wildlife photographers, other than yourself, how many/what percentage of them are using Pentax cameras?

QuoteQuote:
And I'm not shooting a K-3 iii, I'm shooting K-1 and original K-3.
I don’t see how this statement has any relevance to the conversation. Are you trying to imply that you are somehow limited by having “just” a K-1 and a K-3?

QuoteQuote:
But given your vast experience, I'd be interested in your comparison of the K-3iii for wildlife, or even a K-3.
And how would that comparison help OP find a budget wildlife lens to use on their K-x?

Last edited by Steve Beswick; 10-11-2021 at 01:54 AM.
10-11-2021, 06:15 AM   #144

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I guess that would include me, as I posted earlier.

Didn't the OP say: "I was looking to see if there a DSLR lens available 200-600mm @ F6 - F12 < $500.00?" Would you have any suggestions to fit that upper limit in their budget?

- Craig
Craig,

That was my point exactly. was looking for a 200-600mm lens that wouldn't break the bank. I am not a professional photographer. It's a hobby. I've shot some decent photos though. I like going for high speed stop action stuff.
10-11-2021, 06:19 AM - 5 Likes   #145
Loyal Site Supporter

Warning post.

We've had a report about the exchanges here getting testy. I now can confirm this, so let's please cool the temperature. The other option is for those involved to be banned from the thread and have the posts removed. There could be penalty points as well.

Totally up to you.
10-11-2021, 06:22 AM - 3 Likes   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryn Quote
Craig,

That was my point exactly. was looking for a 200-600mm lens that wouldn't break the bank. I am not a professional photographer. It's a hobby. I've shot some decent photos though. I like going for high speed stop action stuff.
Other than mirror lenses and some 55-300 options the price really jumps up as you look at long lenses. The problem with high f stop lenses is these don’t make “high speed action stop stuff “ very easy to achieve as the iso must go higher to allow the higher shutter speed needed. It is a conundrum. Some primes are probably cheaper and a touch faster aperture, but this is only true to a point then they get more expensive than zooms again - particularly the really fast ones.

It is an area of photography where the gear is either really specialized or the results are only passable typically.
10-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #147

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I agree that the discussion of affordable wildlife photography options - including options other than Pentax - is relevant, since the OP clarified what they were really looking for. (I've been part of that discussion myself.) But you are going down another path which is not, and which risks hijacking the thread, or bringing it to a premature end.
I'm not looking for another brand or going mirror less. My first camera that I had was a Sears K1000 (Pentax Film camera) and I still have it, along with a full lens kit for it. I'm a die hard Pentax fan, it's not all about megapixels you know. It's about the optics too. I haven't had the need to upgrade, my most modern Pentax camera is the K3-II, pixel shift mode is insane. it's not ideal for high speed photography but for portraits and landscape shots it's unbelievable. 60 mega pixels in raw mode, and great optics. My K-x is my goto camera for taking pictures of wildlife, the moon, aircraft in the air, etc. I started this thread because I was looking to build up an affordable lens kit for it.

I don't think Pentax is going to fade away in 10 years. They will stay around. The hardware may become more expensive, but there's still a need for a DSLR.

Did you know that a DSLR out performs a mirror less camera with astrophotography ? I'm waiting for a cool night and I will take a shot with my 50mm f/1.8 lens, mount the camera on my tripod in Astrophotography mode and take a shot of the southern sky for you and post it here.

I've been building up Pentax Astrophotography gear. The K-x lacks a wired SNAP port so I "Jerry rigged" and SNAP control cable by figuring out what wires would open/close with a wired intervelometer and basically bough at small JJC infra red remote, split it open and soldered the trigger wires from a 2.5mm barrel connector to the remote. I can trigger the shutter. The goal is to control the camera with a Skytracker Star Adventurer mini. When building up this gear it's too expensive to go for the best of everything. I just want to build something up that's light and portable. Older manual 200-600mm telephoto lenses yeild and additional benefit on a APS-C camera, the 1.5x crop factor. 600mm becomes 900mm and with a doubler it becomes 1800mm. When using a tracker the photos are stacked so an fstop hit of 2 won't be too bad.
Also while I'm building the rig up I would like the lenses to be multipurpose. I like to go hiking with my wife and take photos of the wildlife too.

I was just windering why Tamron and other budget lense manufacturers no longer support Pentax. Maybe with the failure of Minolta and Sony cameras they will circle back and support Pentax.
There's no denying that Pentax lenses are superior. Since this isn't going to change anytime soon I've followed the advice on this thread and bough several good DSLR lenses, and a DSLR 2x teleconverter.
There's a red tail hawk that likes to hunt in the area where my house is.Also when Snowy Owls migrate they hunt in the woodlands behind my house. I'm hoping to get a good shot of it in flight and when I do I'll post it here.

Thanks everybody for the help
10-11-2021, 08:10 AM - 3 Likes   #148
Loyal Site Supporter

In reply to posters who feel Pentax has no Canikon alternative budget camera and lens combo suitable for hiking and wildlife:

A current K70 fresh in the box, coupled with a new (and what should be a Limited IMO) DFA100 lens for short tele, some landscape, and macros (flowers/insects/misc. nearby wildlife, heck even a portrait if needed) and quick-focusing 55-300PLM for birds, distant subjects, etc comes in under $1500. I'll personally vouch for the efficacy of that kit, having captured 1000's of wonderful and unique images using some combination of it. A decent photographer can do quite do well with a K-70 and a new shooter won't find the camera imposing.

if you're willing to consider used I'd wager you could put it all together under $1000 if using the non-PLM version of the 55-300. Spend $200 more and add the DA21 and that covers just about every shooting situation a new photographer encounters out in the wild. That's a $1200 three lens kit with quality glass I'd put up against any DSLR/MILC offer from Nikon or Canon even at half again as much. If you're really REALLY on a budget there is even less expensive options in current Pentax gear that still gets you from wide-angle all the way to telephoto.

Now after saying that, and getting back to the thread topic, I do wish Tamron and Sigma would rethink their decision to forgo a K-mount for new lens releases. Having more recent third-party options cannot be a bad thing. Even if Pentax factually has enough lenses to satisfy pretty much every need (*there are a couple of holes) it does leave the impression the lineup is lacking options.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-11-2021 at 08:37 AM.
10-11-2021, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
In reply to posters who feel Pentax has no Canikon alternative budget camera and lens combo lens suitable for hiking and wildlife:

A new K70 coupled with a new (and it should be a Limited IMO) DFA100 lens for short tele, some landscape, and macros (flowers/insects/misc. nearby wildlife, heck even a portrait if needed) and quick-focusing 55-300PLM for birds, distant subjects, etc comes in under $1500. I'll personally vouch for the efficacy of that kit. I've captured 1000's of wonderful and unique images using some combination of it. A decent photographer can do quite do well with a K-70 and a new shooter won't find the camera imposing.

if you're willing to consider used I'd wager you could put it all together under $1000 if using the non-PLM version of the 55-300.

Now after saying that I do wish Tamron and Sigma would rethink their decision to forgo a K-mount for new lens releases. Having more recent third party options cannot be a bad thing.
It's all a matter of how much time you want to spend wishing for things that probably aren't going to happen. There's that old Quaker saying, "Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to live without it."

Last edited by normhead; 10-11-2021 at 08:39 AM.
10-11-2021, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #150
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

A few of my images.
Wildlife | Flickr

Do, you shoot Pentax with Canon and Nikon shooters. Or are you thinking because most shooters shoot Canon or Nikon that makes them better gear? Despite what you've posted, I shoot next to Canon, Nikon and Sony shooter, wildlife and birds with my Pentax gear. And I'm not shooting a K-3 iii, I'm shooting K-1 and original K-3.

Those are very nice photos! What type of animal is that?
The photos are sharp too!

Regards,

Michael