Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 176 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2021, 07:11 PM - 3 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's like the old adage: Long, Cheap, Good. You only can choose any 2 out of the 3. And the more of the two you choose, the more the third one suffers. A very long, cheap lens will be awful. A very good very long lens will be VERY expensive. A really good, really cheap lens will be 50mm. It seems a simplification, but it's quite true.

10-01-2021, 10:08 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryn Quote
I was looking to see if there a DSLR lens available 200-600mm @ F6 - F12 < $500.00
I already posted a list, but it didn't include two that actually meet your criteria: Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 and Sigma 170-500 f5-6.3. Both have more expensive (and better) similar versions available, but these particular models do fit your budget and get you that reach, and they were indeed designed for DSLR.
Another: although it doesn't reach quite as far and is not FF, Pentax 55-300 PLM is very well regarded as some people's long reach lens (and useful for much more than that, besides).

I have not heard of an autofocus adapter. I am going to look for one.
The 1.7x AF adapter is very cool, but somewhat pricey. $250-$300 maybe. If you already have something like a quality 80-200 f2.8, 200 f2.8, or 300 f4, it's probably a decent option. If you're starting without those lenses and have to get one as well, you've found your way into $500 territory again anyways, and could probably choose a dedicated supertele instead.
It also may or may not satisfy your performance or IQ requirements with a given lens pairing, which will be harder to research in advance than if you were just buying a long lens to work by itself.
In any case, for someone who started a thread bemoaning the lack of "modern" lenses, the kooky-adapter+old lens method might wind up feeling a little 'kludged together' and unsophisticated before too long, even if it gets the reach you want.

Also be sure to consider a Pentax Q with Kmount adapter. Smaller filesize, much worse low light performance, and no hope of AF (for supertele). But If you've ever dreamed of getting beyond 1000mm effective focal length...
10-01-2021, 10:32 PM - 3 Likes   #33
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Which one of my lenses do you suggest ?
Someone else has to say it: touché!

Last edited by Des; 10-01-2021 at 10:39 PM.
10-02-2021, 03:20 AM - 4 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

It would be a benefit to all of us who shoot with Pentax cameras if Ricoh allows companies like Sigma to produce zoom lenses for Pentax camera.
It's not necessary for Sigma to make lenses for Pentax cameras, Ricoh already makes lenses for Pentax cameras and they can be purchased immediately. The selection of Pentax lenses is presented here: https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product-category/lenses/k-mount-lenses/

---------- Post added 02-10-21 at 12:37 ----------

I was looking to see if there a DSLR lens available 200-600mm @ F6 - F12, for under $500
Unfortunately, Sigma doesn't make such lens for under $500, even for Canon or Nikon you'd have to pay three times that price.
Just buy a D-FA 150-450 or a D-FA 70-210 with the 1.4x HD teleconverter, on apsc that's up to 630mm equivalent which covers your requirement.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-02-2021 at 03:43 AM.
10-02-2021, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it mostly comes down to market share. Third parties want to sell lenses, not have them sit on shelves and Pentax doesn't have a lot of sales at present.

As far as cheap long lenses, you do get what you pay for. Lenses like the 150-450 are expensive because they offer quite good optics and length. Another option would be a 300mm lens with a teleconverter. There are a number of used lenses in that range that would be a little cheaper, but it still will be expensive.
10-02-2021, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you use old manual lenses with a modern DSLR there is no "programming of the green button for Tv shift". That is the only thing the green button can do with a manual lens in manual exposure mode.
Define manual here. I am sure the oP is not clear.

We have manual focus lenses of 2 basic types,

Open aperture that stop down to shoot and meter: SMC and SMC-M Pentax ( often called KMount), and SMC-A lenses (KA mount)

KA mounts have contacts that tell the camera the lens maximum and minimum aperture and allow all exposure modes that modern lenses do, as a result you can in manual use hyper program mode where spinning one of the dials leads to shifting the other parameter (shutter or aperture) while holding exposure constant
10-02-2021, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Which one of my lenses do you suggest ?
Looking at this picture damaged my keyboard due to extensive drooling.

10-02-2021, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I already posted a list, but it didn't include two that actually meet your criteria: Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 and Sigma 170-500 f5-6.3. Both have more expensive (and better) similar versions available, but these particular models do fit your budget and get you that reach, and they were indeed designed for DSLR.
Good suggestions.

Another: although it doesn't reach quite as far and is not FF, Pentax 55-300 PLM is very well regarded as some people's long reach lens (and useful for much more than that, besides).
That’s a nice lens, but is it compatible with the body the OP is using? I thought they were issuing an older body. Speaking of which, if that is true an upgrade to a used k-3 would provide more megapixels from which images can be cropped, effectively adding “length” with existing lenses. The cheaper DA 55-300 versions plus a k-3 might meet requirements.

The 1.7x AF adapter is very cool, but somewhat pricey. $250-$300 maybe. If you already have something like a quality 80-200 f2.8, 200 f2.8, or 300 f4, it's probably a decent option. If you're starting without those lenses and have to get one as well, you've found your way into $500 territory again anyways, and could probably choose a dedicated supertele instead.
It also may or may not satisfy your performance or IQ requirements with a given lens pairing, which will be harder to research in advance than if you were just buying a long lens to work by itself.
In any case, for someone who started a thread bemoaning the lack of "modern" lenses, the kooky-adapter+old lens method might wind up feeling a little 'kludged together' and unsophisticated before too long, even if it gets the reach you want.
While I introduced the AFA into the thread, I have to agree that it is a bit quirky and your points are well thought out.

Also be sure to consider a Pentax Q with Kmount adapter. Smaller filesize, much worse low light performance, and no hope of AF (for supertele). But If you've ever dreamed of getting beyond 1000mm effective focal length...
The Q series is interesting. I honestly have thought about buying one specifically for moon shots. The extreme crop factor is enticing. But the lack of an EVF and other factors has kept me away.
10-02-2021, 04:42 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Define manual here. I am sure the oP is not clear.
I am using Manual lens in this context as one that has an aperture ring without the "A" setting ("K" or M series), or a lens that does have the "A" setting (A; F; FA), but the ring is set to a physical aperture.
10-02-2021, 05:02 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am using Manual lens in this context as one that has an aperture ring without the "A" setting ("K" or M series), or a lens that does have the "A" setting (A; F; FA), but the ring is set to a physical aperture.
So not concerned with autofocus or manual focus, only with setting aperture directly on the lens rather than via the camera’s control?

To reduce confusion perhaps calling this, “manual aperture control” would work but that’s a mouthful and some might think you mean manual stop down only lenses without open aperture capability.
10-02-2021, 06:12 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I thought they were issuing an older body.
OP said:
I've got an old K-x that I've had for over 15 years and a K3-II.
So yes and no. But good point and one I hadn't actually remembered about 55-300 plm. It won't fully work with OP's K-x.

As for describing lenses based on their aperture function, seems like
- "A,"
- "non-A" or "pre-A" or maybe "green-button"
- and "no aperture ring" or "electronic aperture" or "KAF4"
would be decent shorthand for the three main groups of lenses, at least among those of us familiar with Pentax.
10-02-2021, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Don’t expect anything else than what is available right now from/for Pentax. Any additional release will make you happy.
10-02-2021, 06:33 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OP said:

So yes and no. But good point and one I hadn't actually remembered about 55-300 plm. It won't fully work with OP's K-x.
I missed the k3-II - whoops.
10-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Here's a thunk.
How about getting a group of, say, 500 Pentax users, all of whom would buy a 50-600mm (or whatever) if one was available, have them guarantee the money, then approach Sigma or Tamron with a "firm order" … any takers?
These are probably the sort of minimum figures a manufacturer will need to be sure of to even consider setting up a production facility for a low-demand product.
10-02-2021, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
How about getting a group of, say, 500 Pentax users, all of whom would buy a 50-600mm (or whatever) if one was available, have them guarantee the money, then approach Sigma or Tamron with a "firm order" … any takers?These are probably the sort of minimum figures a manufacturer will need to be sure of to even consider setting up a production facility for a low-demand product.
Sort of like a Kickstarter campaign? Interesting concept.

Would be interesting to know whether any manufacturer would entertain such an approach, and what the minimum financing would need to be.

- Craig