Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 176 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2021, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I think a new generation of Adaptall DSLR lenses is going to be best

Wow.. why the rantings ? I have 3 Pentax DSLR lenses and 3 vintage Pentax lenses for my old K1000. I got the bug to go with a lens with more reach when I bought a vintage 500mm mirror lens and started to experiment with my old K-x taking shots of the moon. I was hoping to find a lens that I can take shots of the moon, jupiter, saturn, birds, airplanes in flight, and fast enough to take shots of the r/c aircraft flying at my clubs airfield. I guess I can manually focus and use the green button for metering... and wait until the aircraft is performing a stunt and take the shot. A newer DSLR lens that I can use in Program mode would be a good to have. I started this thread because I of the limited choice of lenses. I take photos as a hobby, not a business. The current Pentax line of Telephoto lenses is too expensive. $4k for a 560mm lens! Another lens that would get the job done is Pentax F FA 150-450mm but it sells for $2k. That's why I bought an old 500mm mirror lens. It has a very narrow depth of field and a limited life because I see some fungus inside it. So I'm looking for a telephoto or prime DSLR lens with reach.

I may be forced to go old school and but an Orion Apex 90mm scope, attach it to the camera via a T adapter and call it a day.

I was looking to see if there a DSLR lens available 200-600mm @ F6 - F12 < $500.00

10-01-2021, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryn Quote
Wow.. why the rantings ? I have 3 Pentax DSLR lenses and 3 vintage Pentax lenses for my old K1000. I got the bug to go with a lens with more reach when I bought a vintage 500mm mirror lens and started to experiment with my old K-x taking shots of the moon. I was hoping to find a lens that I can take shots of the moon, jupiter, saturn, birds, airplanes in flight, and fast enough to take shots of the r/c aircraft flying at my clubs airfield. I guess I can manually focus and use the green button for metering... and wait until the aircraft is performing a stunt and take the shot. A newer DSLR lens that I can use in Program mode would be a good to have. I started this thread because I of the limited choice of lenses. I take photos as a hobby, not a business. The current Pentax line of Telephoto lenses is too expensive. $4k for a 560mm lens! Another lens that would get the job done is Pentax F FA 150-450mm but it sells for $2k. That's why I bought an old 500mm mirror lens. It has a very narrow depth of field and a limited life because I see some fungus inside it. So I'm looking for a telephoto or prime DSLR lens with reach.

I may be forced to go old school and but an Orion Apex 90mm scope, attach it to the camera via a T adapter and call it a day.

I was looking to see if there a DSLR lens available 200-600mm @ F6 - F12 < $500.00
Welcome to 2021.

As an owner of a DA560, it is priced according to market and competitive with other camera maker comparable lenses.

The demand for fast lenses, and by this I mean telephotos with front element diameters > 100 mm is very low. You can get a DA150-450 for less than 1/2 the price of a DA560 if you want to consider something more reasonably priced.

The fact is, that even in the 1980’s and 1990’s cheap mirror lenses were the only long lenses at really low cost.

It’s just you don’t want to pay for what you aspire to have. It took me 20 years to make the decision to go beyond a 400/5.6 lens (77mm diameter front element) even though financially it was never an issue.
10-01-2021, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Why the rantings? It just happens that this is one of the two subjects that will make Pentax people sound off.

Look, we all like options and it would be great if Sigma, Tamron, Tokina offered lenses in a Pentax mount. Here is how it goes though;

Pentax users; We want Sigma to make a 70-210 f4 for us.
Sigma; If we make it, how many will we sell?
Pentax users; crickets.
Sigma; Thought so.

For us Pentax users, thats just the way it is.
10-01-2021, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
When you use old manual lenses with a modern DSLR there is no "programming of the green button for Tv shift". That is the only thing the green button can do with a manual lens in manual exposure mode.
I suggest getting an old school lens and trying it for yourself:

10-01-2021, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found plenty of Pentax lens adapters that do not support metering and and auto focus. Are there any Digital Lens adapters out there ?
Have you looked at the Pentax-F 1.7x autofocus adapter? SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It's not available new in most parts of the world (I think it might still be sold new in Japan), but it comes up occasionally in the used market. It's not 'digital' per se, but it would work well on your two digital cameras.

- Craig
10-01-2021, 03:19 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There aren’t any good lenses available that fit your criteria. The problem is the criteria is out of step with the market. But perhaps I misunderstand your requirements. You can find some zooms in this range that fit a few cameras but not many. And the current crop of lenses for mirrorless are more than this price.

One option is to look at m43 and a used 100-300. Since these have a 2x crop factor. These are not fast but they are sharp and accurate focusing. The other option is to raise the budget or deal with a prime only option. A 300mm f4 plus a 1.7x AFA gives a 510mm f6.8 with semi autofocus. The f4.5 300’s will be f7.7. Not that this fits into the budget unless you already have the 300mm.
10-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Why the rantings? It just happens that this is one of the two subjects that will make Pentax people sound off.

Look, we all like options and it would be great if Sigma, Tamron, Tokina offered lenses in a Pentax mount. Here is how it goes though;

Pentax users; We want Sigma to make a 70-210 f4 for us.
Sigma; If we make it, how many will we sell?
Pentax users; crickets.
Sigma; Thought so.

For us Pentax users, thats just the way it is.
If that's the case then the best solution for the third party lens makers is to create a new generation of Adaptall lenses. My current 500mm mirrored lens is an Adaptall2 lens. I bought it from KEH.
I'm going to but an Opteka 500mm mirror lens and check to see if it as good as the Tamron SP 500mm mirror lens I got from KEH.
I've got a solid Manfrotto tripod that I've used with telescopes and binoculars. You need a solid tripod to hold the camera rock steady or use a shutter speed of at least 1/500. I prefer to use the tripod, reduce the shutter speed to 1/100 and turn the ISO down.
One thing we can all be thankful for. Pentax DLSR cameras work extremely well with vintage lenses. Also if you have an APS-C type sensor you have a 1.5x crop factor. With my use it's been a benefit to me. My 500mm lens is effectively a 750mm lens.
It works extremely well for taking photos of the moon. I should post some here. Also I have a shot of a sailboat tacking across the bay. Nice action shot and according to Google Maps where I was standing near a pier and the bouy that the sailboat was near the shot was taken from at least 1/2 mile away.

I'll post it here.

Also crazy photos of squirrels gathering nuts for the winter.

Last edited by jerryn; 10-01-2021 at 03:28 PM.
10-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There aren’t any good lenses available that fit your criteria. The problem is the criteria is out of step with the market. But perhaps I misunderstand your requirements. You can find some zooms in this range that fit a few cameras but not many. And the current crop of lenses for mirrorless are more than this price.

One option is to look at m43 and a used 100-300. Since these have a 2x crop factor. These are not fast but they are sharp and accurate focusing. The other option is to raise the budget or deal with a prime only option. A 300mm f4 plus a 1.7x AFA gives a 510mm f6.8 with semi autofocus. The f4.5 300’s will be f7.7. Not that this fits into the budget unless you already have the 300mm.
Wow.. I never heard of the m43. I just checked the specs. It looks like it would get the job done! I'm going to see if I can locate a used one.

Thanks!

---------- Post added 10-01-21 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Have you looked at the Pentax-F 1.7x autofocus adapter? SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It's not available new in most parts of the world (I think it might still be sold new in Japan), but it comes up occasionally in the used market. It's not 'digital' per se, but it would work well on your two digital cameras.

- Craig
Thanks! This is another great idea. I have not heard of an autofocus adapter. I am going to look for one. I just read the specs. It looks like it would work for me. It's a pretty neat solution actually. It can add autofocus functionality to a vintage lens.
10-01-2021, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Just in case it helps you, I'll throw a little list of cheap(er) long lenses available in K mount here for you.
This is copied from a response I made to someone looking for lenses 400mm and over for $1500 or less, and it was just off of the top of my head. So they may not all apply, and I'm sure I missed some. The list contains both MF and AF lenses, and some have multiple versions available. None are "modern" and none are available new, excepting for the 150-450 you have already mentioned.

pentax 400 5.6
pentax 500 4.5
pentax 600 5.6
pentax 150-450
sigma 400 5.6
sigma 150-500 or 50-500
tokina 400 5.6
tamron 400 4

mirror
pentax 400-600
sigma 600 8
tamron 500 8
tokina 500 8
rubinar/MTO 500 8 or 6.3
rubinar/MTO 1000 10
10-01-2021, 05:03 PM - 5 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

There's the A 400/5.6 - which, while manual focus, I think it is an excellent lens (especially for the price). Though I've very recently replaced it with the 150-450, it's been my favourite and most used lens of the last 3 years. Great to learn the basics of shooting with a long lens, and I think having strong manual focusing skills and technique helps when using autofocus as well. It's often seen on eBay in the $400-500 range, and sometimes on the forum too. Anyways, I'll let some photos talk:

10-01-2021, 05:54 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wow.. why the rantings ? I have 3 Pentax DSLR lenses and 3 vintage Pentax lenses for my old K1000.
I don't see rants, just explanations having similar information from several different people and a few responses to your subsequent comments.

In response to your comment...I suspect that you will be disappointed if you use lenses lacking aperture rings on your K1000. They will meter correctly, wide open, but will shoot fully stopped down.

I was taken aback at this comment. The member you replied to, as with most (all?) of those that replied here, has very deep experience with "vintage" non-AF lenses using an aperture ring for its intended purpose.

You might want to add another comment that no insult was intended.

Steve

(...Boris Cleato?...)
10-01-2021, 06:05 PM - 7 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which one of my lenses do you suggest ?

Only the K30 or K01 require a change to Tv shift as the youtube video explains.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Only the K30 or K01 require a change to Tv shift as the youtube video explains.
I am not sure, but the OP may be using a K-x.

Steve
10-01-2021, 06:52 PM - 4 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

If that's the case then the best solution for the third party lens makers is to create a new generation of Adaptall lenses.
And sell them to whom? With the exception of Pentax, the industry is moving towards short registration distance lenses. These designs are not compatible with Pentax.

So we are back to asking third party manufacturers to design lenses for one low volume brand with the guarantee that it will be a money losing fiasco.

If Pentax doesn't meet your specific needs, then consider buying some gear from another brand that does.

Also, get used to photography becoming a very expensive hobby.

A number of years ago, I was shooting a model airplane meet with an *istD and a Pentax *600/5.6.

It's not a type if photography I do very often so my failure rate was quite high, but I got some good shots.
10-01-2021, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Just in case it helps you, I'll throw a little list of cheap(er) long lenses available in K mount here for you.
This is copied from a response I made to someone looking for lenses 400mm and over for $1500 or less, and it was just off of the top of my head. So they may not all apply, and I'm sure I missed some. The list contains both MF and AF lenses, and some have multiple versions available. None are "modern" and none are available new, excepting for the 150-450 you have already mentioned.
Of the listed lenses, I have used these and my opinion of them is below:

pentax 500 4.5: This is a big lens and very difficult to use well in my opinion.

sigma 400 5.6: This is an interesting lens but there are multiple versions. The autofocus 72mm version is not great optically but it is fun and lightweight. The lenses also have weak coatings and low contrast.

---------- Post added 10-01-21 at 10:03 PM ----------

Wow.. I never heard of the m43. I just checked the specs. It looks like it would get the job done! I'm going to see if I can locate a used one.

Thanks!

---------- Post added 10-01-21 at 03:36 PM ----------

Thanks! This is another great idea. I have not heard of an autofocus adapter. I am going to look for one. I just read the specs. It looks like it would work for me. It's a pretty neat solution actually. It can add autofocus functionality to a vintage lens.
The m43 system is fun but you give up a lot of dynamic range and low iso performance. The K-x however may not be a lot different than the 16 or 20mp m43 sensors available. I have several bodies feel free to ask me more info.

The F f1.7 AFA is a fun tool but it works better with fast lenses. The f4-4.5 lenses are about the limit - and faster is better still.