Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #1

DA* 50-135 will not auto focus w/new K200D

Just bought a new K200D body via Amazon. My DA* 50-135 lens will NOT auto focus with the camera. I have auto focus activated on both the camera/lens.

The DA* will auto focus on my old K100D. So I know its not a problem with the lens.

My Pentax SMC-FA f/1.4 50mm and Tamron 17-50 2.8 both WILL auto focus on the new K200D.

I've went into the custom settings menus and tried every combo of focus setting possible and nada.

I'd assume since the DA* auto focus worked with the older generation K100D it would work with the K200D? Any ideas?

Auto focus is obviously working in the K200D since its working w/the other lens.

The DA * lens is working with the older K100D, so the lens must be working.

If it's not the lens or the camera? Help!

12-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most likely it's the SDM part of the lens got problem. The DA50135 works just like normal non-SDM lens when mounted on K100D. If the SDM contacts or motor got problem, it won't AF on K200D. One way to check out is to use another SDM lens on your K200D and see how. My guess is the problem w/ SDM part on the lens ...
12-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
If the SDM part of the lens had a problem why than is working fine with the K100D? It's only a problem when the combo of 200D and DA50135 come together.

Other autofocus lens work fine on the K200D (see above) and the DA50135 works great on the K100D.
12-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Have you updated the camera to the latest firmware?

12-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Batson Quote
If the SDM part of the lens had a problem why than is working fine with the K100D? It's only a problem when the combo of 200D and DA50135 come together.

Other autofocus lens work fine on the K200D (see above) and the DA50135 works great on the K100D.
I believe I am correct in saying that the K100D can't take advantage of the SDM feature of the DA* lenses, it uses the regular screw-mount autofocus. The K200D is most likely trying to use the better focusing method (SDM), but maybe it isn't working. Just wanted to clarify what was said a couple posts ago.
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #6

If you have the k100d non-super version it doesn't support SDM so with the 50-135mm the camera motor would focus the lens. Most likely the problem is with the SDM in the lens.
12-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Have you updated the camera to the latest firmware?
There is currently no firmware update for the K200D...

+1 on frank's explanation.
12-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

First, check that BOTH the lens, and camera are set to AF. Then, get a stiff pencil eraser, and very carefully clean the SDM contacts on the back of the lens.

Does the camera show the MF symbol in the bottom left of the viewfinder lcd with the lens attached?

12-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
First, check that BOTH the lens, and camera are set to AF.

Yes, both are on AF

Then, get a stiff pencil eraser, and very carefully clean the SDM contacts on the back of the lens.

Are the SDM contacts the 6 circular thingies? Or the two rectangle shaped gold bars?
Could you give me a bit more info on the cleaning of the contacts? Did a google search couldn't find anything. Wouldn't a rubber eraser leave potential smudges/rubber debris?

Does the camera show the MF symbol in the bottom left of the viewfinder lcd with the lens attached?
Only when MF is set to MF. When AF is set on both the lens and camera AF.C or AF.S show up in the viewfinder.

The focus confirmation beeps in MF when I obtain focus. In AF there's no beep obviously, and although I can move the focus point around--when I hone in and depress the shutter halfway it won't blink red - it will only show red when I'm moving the focus point in th AF area.
12-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Are the SDM contacts the 6 circular thingies? Or the two rectangle shaped gold bars?
Could you give me a bit more info on the cleaning of the contacts? Did a google search couldn't find anything. Wouldn't a rubber eraser leave potential smudges/rubber debris?
The SDM contacts are the two rectangle shaped gold bars you mention, yes. The other circular contacts are the aperture and digital contacts the camera uses to find out about the lens.

Here is a diagram of the mount Features and Operation of the Kaf2 Mount

The trick is to rub gently. The reason for suggesting a pencil eraser is that they're abrasive, and almost everyone has one. You do not want to be pushing hard enough to leave bits of rubber behind - if you're pushing particularly hard, you can also damage the plating on the contact.

If you'd rather go for a slightly safer alternative (which will require a trip to the shops), use Isopropyl alcohol, and a lint-free cloth.
12-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #11

50-135 Focus on K200

I tried my K200 with the 50-135 and it focuses fine. What I have noticed is that with it and the Da 17-70, (also SDM), when they are first placed on the camera and the power turned on, both lenses show MF on the LCD display until I push the shutter half way.

I would suspect your problem is the SDM contacts as others have suggested. Also, check to see if there is any play in the lens when it is mounted. I have a Sigma 70-300 APO lens that almost always has to be gently twisted a bit back an forth after mounting before the lens shows as an AF lens. It always wants the length entered in SR.

I hope you can get it working without sending it in.
01-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #12

Hello, Billy Batson
Have you found the solution for this problem?

I've just tries to test 50-135 lenses with K200D in the shop and it failed to autofocus. However, manual focus works well
I've set Custom settings\Ok button whenshooting from Sensitivity to Enable AF but it didn't help.

Is it possible to make autofocus work on the K200D and DA 50-135/2.8 lenses?
01-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Hi Billy,
I have the combination and it works perfectly.
As others suggested, the culprit is 50-135. To confirm, try another k200d body or another DA* lens, if possible. Most probably you'll end up sending the lens to Pentax for repair (I hope it's under warranty).
Good luck.
01-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Just bought a new K200D body via Amazon. My DA* 50-135 lens will NOT auto focus with the camera. I have auto focus activated on both the camera/lens.

The DA* will auto focus on my old K100D. So I know its not a problem with the lens.

My Pentax SMC-FA f/1.4 50mm and Tamron 17-50 2.8 both WILL auto focus on the new K200D.

I've went into the custom settings menus and tried every combo of focus setting possible and nada.

I'd assume since the DA* auto focus worked with the older generation K100D it would work with the K200D? Any ideas?

Auto focus is obviously working in the K200D since its working w/the other lens.

The DA * lens is working with the older K100D, so the lens must be working.

If it's not the lens or the camera? Help!
A weird observations I had with my DA 17-70 SDM is that the SDM motor doesn't work if I turn on the camera while it's in manual focus mode and then switch to AF. Everything works as expected, if I turn on the camera in AF mode. In my case, it's most likely a software bug in the K200D. Maybe, in your case, the internal motor is broken.
01-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #15

I have the K10D and had a few problems with this lens. I heard a squeak when it would focus and then it started taking its time turning its self on or responding. Luckily I had purchased this from a member here and it had warranty left. I sent it in last week and the techs found a ciruitry problem with the sdm. Replacement will be here next week, brand new never used in the box. Also this is cool..Pentax warranty starts all over so I get another year of warranty. I do not know what other companies polices are but I doubt they all stand behind their gear like that. Hope you figure your problem out.