Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New Forum Member Question: Venus Optics Laowa 100mm F2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro APO

I'm a new member of the forum, so please forgive me if I'm posting this question in the wrong place. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or review of the Venus Optics Laowa 100mm F2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro APO for use as a macro lens. What is your experience? Is this lens for real?

10-06-2021, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Venus Optics Laowa 100mm F2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro APO Lens Reviews - Venus Laowa Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
10-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out our in-depth review of the lens:
Laowa 100mm F2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

One thing to note is that this is an "ultra" macro lens, which means at its closes focus, the subject will appear 2x life size (most macro lenses are 1x or 0.5x).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-06-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Check out our in-depth review of the lens:
Laowa 100mm F2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

One thing to note is that this is an "ultra" macro lens, which means at its closes focus, the subject will appear 2x life size (most macro lenses are 1x or 0.5x).
... and it is manual. That's fine if you only intend to use it for macro work, but it does focus to infinity, so you should be aware of this.

10-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdcall Quote
I'm a new member of the forum, so please forgive me if I'm posting this question in the wrong place. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or review of the Venus Optics Laowa 100mm F2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro APO for use as a macro lens. What is your experience? Is this lens for real?
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

this article might be of some interest

QuoteQuote:
The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens
Achieving lift-size magnification

Read more at: The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

and as @Adam says the lens you asked about actually achieves 2x life size images

as opposed to the 1X life size images you can obchieve with the Pentax 100mm F2.8 " family "

[ F, FA, D FA and D FA WR versions ]
10-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for the link. It looks like there's only one review. I know it's only recently been available with the K mount, so maybe more reviews will come in over the next few months.

---------- Post added 10-07-21 at 07:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

this article might be of some interest

Read more at: The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

and as @Adam says the lens you asked about actually achieves 2x life size images

as opposed to the 1X life size images you can obchieve with the Pentax 100mm F2.8 " family "

[ F, FA, D FA and D FA WR versions ]
Perfect. Thank you for the reply and the information. I'm toying with getting into macro photography, and the input from forum users and the articles are really helpful.