Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #1

Question for ex-K10D/current K20D owner ...

Some had said that the newer K20D auto-focuses faster than the K10D w/ screw-driven lenses. How does the AF speed of the K20D compare with K10D using SDM lenses? If the focusing is based on the lens motor, should there be a difference in AF speed at all between the K10D and K20D using SDM lenses? TIA

12-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Some had said that the newer K20D auto-focuses faster than the K10D w/ screw-driven lenses. How does the AF speed of the K20D compare with K10D using SDM lenses? If the focusing is based on the lens motor, should there be a difference in AF speed at all between the K10D and K20D using SDM lenses? TIA
I should probably not answer since I have never objectively measured this, however I have both camera bodies and subjectively this difference is minimal to me. Possibly it's because of the nature of the way I take pictures, or perhaps the difference in performance really is not that huge.
If they have something with some contrast that I want in sharp focus and it's nearby to an AF point, I'll select that point and hit the AF button. Otherwise I'm inclined to manually focus. This is with either the 16-50 or 50-135, both f/2.8 and SDM-driven.

Sometimes it does seem that the k20d is more able to nail the focus faster in real low light than the k10d. But then I'll try the k10d and bingo it does it as well.

There is not a dramatic difference to me anyway.
That said, I got a chance to play around with a k-m a couple of weeks ago and it did seem dramatically snappier. On the other hand it was set up to half-press autofocus and had the beeper enabled so would naturally seem unusual to me. It was also not very dark in the camera shop.

--
dbh - opinion: no charge, and worth it!