Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2021, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I had left Pentax a few years back for what I thought were greener pastures.
Well I am coming back. I am going to be getting a K-3 III and a K-70 for my wife.
We do weddings and portraits mainly.
I am trying to decide on the best portrait lenses to get.
I am debating on either the 77mm Limited paired with the 43mm Limited or the 70mm Limited paired with the 55mm DA*.
For those of you who shoot portraits on the crop sensor cameras what is your advice?
Thanks!
When I was using the smaller format, I found the 70Ltd was my most useful portrait lens. I found the 77 to be just a bit too long, and quite honestly, it's over rated. The 70 is every bit as good. If you are planning to go full frame in the future, consider the 77, but if you are happy with APS-C, don't waste your money.

I never learned to like the DA 55/1.4. It's sharp and contrasty, but I didn't like it's out of focus rendering. I found it to be on the nervous side. The 43 Ltd is a much nicer lens than the 55 for looser portraits or for shooting in a smaller room.

Just my opinion from using these lenses extensively in the studio. Take it for what worth you get from it, which will probably be zero as you appear to have decided badly in my honest opinion.

10-09-2021, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosillec Quote
I also have a 20-40, which I'll be selling soon because the weight/size savings isn't significantly different from the 16-50 and I prefer the 16-50 rendering.
That’s interesting. I find the 20-40 much smaller and lighter and the hood of the 16-50 makes the situation worse. I haven’t found I particularly love the 16-50, I would love to see examples of head to head shots that make you feel that way. I may have overlooked something but my 20-40 is a joy when I use it.
10-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #33
Forum Member

For portraits you don't need edge-to-edge sharpness but you say you want narrow DoF. The old FA f1.4, is an option, but wide open it's is blurry and has LoCA. So it will need stopping down to f2. Or the plastic DA50 f1.8. Both are screw-drive but they will focus fast. I think you might get hunting with the FA50m but the DA50 is probably better and heck it's so cheap you could try it and get sell on if it doesn't suit you, at very little loss.
10-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had left Pentax a few years back for what I thought were greener pastures.
Well I am coming back. I am going to be getting a K-3 III and a K-70 for my wife.
We do weddings and portraits mainly.
I am trying to decide on the best portrait lenses to get.
I am debating on either the 77mm Limited paired with the 43mm Limited or the 70mm Limited paired with the 55mm DA*.
For those of you who shoot portraits on the crop sensor cameras what is your advice?
Thanks!
For portraits, I use both the 50mm f1.4 and the 70-200mm 2.8, getting wonderful results with both. I also have the K-3 Mark iii, as well as both the K-3 and K-5. Until receiving the K-3 Mark iii this spring, have used the other two cameras with those lenses with very good outcomes pleasing to all of my clients for years.

10-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
For portraits, I use both the 50mm f1.4…
Since there are multiple 50 f1.4s and I’ve lost track is that the D FA or FA?
10-12-2021, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
D FA 50mm f1.4 and the D FA* 70-200mm f2.8
10-13-2021, 02:58 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like you have decided. I think the FA 77 is a nice choice. Only negative is that you have to do some purple fringing correction at times with back lite situations.

DA *55 is the classic portrait length for APS-C. I own it and while the SDM is adequate, it is quite slow. I typically shoot mine stopped down to f2 and it does pretty well there. Others have mentioned the DFA *50 and that lens would have faster focus (ring motor) and better sharpness and performance at f1.4-f2. It is also quite a bit more expensive, but if you use that focal length a lot it might be worth it.

10-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Looks like it will be the 77mm Limited and the 55mm DA* lenses.
I want to thank everyone who gave their input. I forgot how helpful and friendly this community is. It is quite refreshing!
We are always glad to help people part ways with their money and acquire nice gear, of course

In this case, you should be thrilled with both lenses but I'm sure the 77 is the pick of the litter.
10-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I have decided to get the 16-50 PLM lens and the 55 1.4. I am going to wait on the 77 for now.
I am sure I will pick it up in the future but for now it will have to wait.