Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2021, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need advice on portrait lenses

I had left Pentax a few years back for what I thought were greener pastures.
Well I am coming back. I am going to be getting a K-3 III and a K-70 for my wife.
We do weddings and portraits mainly.
I am trying to decide on the best portrait lenses to get.
I am debating on either the 77mm Limited paired with the 43mm Limited or the 70mm Limited paired with the 55mm DA*.
For those of you who shoot portraits on the crop sensor cameras what is your advice?
Thanks!

10-08-2021, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back to the family Sarge.

Those are all good choices, and a K3III and K-70 are often what I'll use for people events. The *55 is a no-brainer, a great choice. The 77 is another, renders great. For wider look for a Sigma 17-50, or if not out of budget the HD FA16-50 is an even better option, and a whole lot faster to focus. I'll also use the DFA 85 and DFA50 for certain planned shoots even tho they're larger an heavier, but for portability and compactness at an event those three lenses would make a very good kit.
10-08-2021, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Congrats for the K-3iii, I envy you. You will receive a lot of good advice here.

IMHO, the FA77mm is the reference lens for portrait on APS-C sensor (like the K-3). The colour rendering is superb and I love it for family portrait. The lens is also surprisingly superb for landscape. And it is nibble. All in all, it should be your reference lens, and I would very highly recommend it.

Hope that the comment may help.
10-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Congrats for the K-3iii, I envy you. You will receive a lot of good advice here.

IMHO, the FA77mm is the reference lens for portrait on APS-C sensor (like the K-3). The colour rendering is superb and I love it for family portrait. The lens is also surprisingly superb for landscape. And it is nibble. All in all, it should be your reference lens, and I would very highly recommend it.

Hope that the comment may help.
Thank you for your input. When I shot with Pentax before I used the K-3II and I had the 70mm Limited. I did use it for portraits but always yearned for shallower DOF. The portraits I have seen with the 77mm have been stunning.

10-08-2021, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I had left Pentax a few years back for what I thought were greener pastures.
Well I am coming back. I am going to be getting a K-3 III and a K-70 for my wife.
We do weddings and portraits mainly.
I am debating on either the 77mm Limited paired with the 43mm Limited or the 70mm Limited paired with the 55mm DA*.
For those of you who shoot portraits on the crop sensor cameras what is your advice?
Thanks!
Why not the 77mm Ltd paired with the DA* 55mm?
10-08-2021, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Either the FA HD 77mm or the DA HD 70mm Ltds will deliver wonderful portraits at ideal focal lengths for the purpose. The DA 70mm is not subject to purple fringing, while this is more possible with the FA 77mm, and the DA 70mm is better for edge-to-edge performance at wider apertures. I have both. I would say bokeh is very good with the DA 70mm and super with the 77mm.

For general use, I take my 77mm f/1.8 for low light and better DOF control with more tele effect, while the 70mm is often preferable in better lighting, and when getting more width in the shot is desired. Of course, if a FF body should ever be in your future, the FA 77 and 43mm lenses would be there for you.
10-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Welcome back to the family Sarge.

Those are all good choices, and a K3III and K-70 are often what I'll use for people events. The *55 is a no-brainer, a great choice. The 77 is another, renders great. For wider look for a Sigma 17-50, or if not out of budget the HD FA16-50 is an even better option, and a whole lot faster to focus. I'll also use the DFA 85 and DFA50 for certain planned shoots even tho they're larger an heavier, but for portability and compactness at an event those three lenses would make a very good kit.
I had the Sigma 17-50 when I shot Pentax before. It would appear they stopped making it.
I was looking at the 20-40 Limited for my normal zoom option. From what I have seen the K-3 III does a stellar job at high ISO so the f/4 should not be an issue.
Those new DFA primes look great but are out of my budget for now. As are the new 2.8 zooms.
The only thing I am concerned with on the 55mm are the stories of the motor failing.

10-08-2021, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
Why paired like this? All four lenses will do well and "best" is really defined more by your style.

The two best from a pure technical reason for portraiture would the 55 and 77, which you did not list as a pairing.

The 70 and 55 are too close in focal length to justify both, so for those reasons, the 77 and 43 make the most sense. Classical portrait could be done with the 77 while the 43 is more ideal for an environmental portrait that shows the subject in their environment.
10-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Why not the 77mm Ltd paired with the DA* 55mm?
I have actually. The main thing holding me back on the 55mm is the stories I hear of motor failure.

---------- Post added 10-08-21 at 02:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Why paired like this? All four lenses will do well and "best" is really defined more by your style.

The two best from a pure technical reason for portraiture would the 55 and 77, which you did not list as a pairing.

The 70 and 55 are too close in focal length to justify both, so for those reasons, the 77 and 43 make the most sense. Classical portrait could be done with the 77 while the 43 is more ideal for an environmental portrait that shows the subject in their environment.
I have thought of the 77 with the 55, just didn’t list those for some reason. Like I just said above the only thing holding me back from the 55 is the motor failure issue I have read about.
10-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a pure head and shoulders portrait, the DA*55 works well.. For weddings or get togethers, the DA*50-135 provides some needed flexibility, For full body shots, really enjoy the Sigma ART18-35.
10-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The go-to wedding photographer lens is usually the 70-200mm f/2.8 on a 35mm full frame equivalent camera.
For APS-C cameras, this focal range would be similar to the Pentax DA* 50-150mm f/2.8.
I would pair that zoom with a 50mm f/1.4 and/or a 77mm f/1.8 LTD.
10-08-2021, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA 77mm is fantastic, especially for the price. Several used copies are available here on PF.
10-08-2021, 01:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
For a pure head and shoulders portrait, the DA*55 works well.. For weddings or get togethers, the DA*50-135 provides some needed flexibility, For full body shots, really enjoy the Sigma ART18-35.
I have considered the 50-135 as well but not for portraits.

---------- Post added 10-08-21 at 02:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FA 77mm is fantastic, especially for the price. Several used copies are available here on PF.
Do you have links? I have not ventured into the sales forums yet.

---------- Post added 10-08-21 at 02:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Do you have links? I have not ventured into the sales forums yet.
10-08-2021, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

If you have the finances, of course the DFA*85mm 1.4, one of Pentax latest lenses, would be the ultimate.

In your case I would go with the FA 77mm Limited. I have the DA 70 Limited like you used to have, and I think if you want a shallower depth of field that looks stunning, the FA 77 is the one you should go for.

Perhaps a DA 20-40mm Limited for those group and scene type pictures, where you need a bit more depth of field (so f/2.8-4 is not really an issue) and 20mm is wide enough but not so wide that it will distort the people on the sides of the frame...

Oh and welcome back!
10-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you have the finances, of course the DFA*85mm 1.4, one of Pentax latest lenses, would be the ultimate.

In your case I would go with the FA 77mm Limited. I have the DA 70 Limited like you used to have, and I think if you want a shallower depth of field that looks stunning, the FA 77 is the one you should go for.

Perhaps a DA 20-40mm Limited for those group and scene type pictures, where you need a bit more depth of field (so f/2.8-4 is not really an issue) and 20mm is wide enough but not so wide that it will distort the people on the sides of the frame...

Oh and welcome back!
I am getting the 20-40mm.

Here is the list of lenses I plan on getting
15mm Limited
20-40mm Limited
35mm Macro Limited
55-300 PLM
18-135mm for my wife and K-70 walk around.
And still deciding on the 2 portraits lenses hence this thread.