Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax DA35mm - indoors and others?

I gave this lens a try in the store and it's starting to gain my attention. I didn't like it at first, but a couple of runs and tests with it make it for a pretty decent lens! I have the DA 40mm, and the 5mm less focal length is starting to appeal to me more than the 40mm as I get this sense of 'encompassing' more of a scene. I've used 28mm and find it 'not wide enough' on the wide end and not quite 'normal' on the normal end of things.

To top it off, I'm looking for a macro lens as my Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro just jammed up recently and is now practically useless Thus this lens seems to appeal to me even more with it's macro features.

I do quite a bit of indoor shooting, but I normally have a flash with me. I found the AF speed to be a bit on the 'hunting' side for places were it was quite dark. This was a bit of a turn off for me. (I own a K100D)

Anyone else find this to be true?

12-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dunno, but that's one I'm interested in, ...they come pretty well-recommended. I'm going to see how my needs shake out after using a 50 1.4 for a while. ...with my Canons it seems that most of the time I only go to my 50 1.2 over the 85 1.8 for the extra speed, so we might see what happens when the situation may be somewhat reversed.

But the price is right and they're very sharp. As well as being able to do double-duty on old film bodies.

My own thoughts are that in an ideal situation I might want to straddle that 50mm equivalence somewhat, end up with like a 28 or 31 and a 43, a 58 Nokton and a 77 (Yes, I like the unambitious focal lengths. ) and do most of the rest with zooms.

35's pretty reasonable and practical, though, I should think. There's also a chunky fast 30 from Sigma out there, that'd get you to pretty 'normal'
and give you good speed, if made-for-digital doesn't bother you. I don't know if that has any sort of macro claim to it, though.

Btw... Have you seen the 35 2.8 macro Limited? A bit pricey but not too ridiculous, as things go, if you don't mind the speed.

(OK. I'm silly. For some reason I thought you were talking about the *FA* 35 in the first place. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-04-2008 at 08:03 AM.
12-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have the da35mm macro and it is excellent. You can get it here for $310US:

PENTAX DA smc 35mm f2.8 MACRO LENS f/K20d K200d +FILTER - eBay (item 310105209390 end time Dec-07-08 17:36:48 PST)
12-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That looks like a good deal, but US dollars hurts frmo a Canadian standpoint. And also, I'm not sure I'll get the Pentax Warranty as it's a US product being shipped to Canada? Hmm...

After doing more research, talk has been favorable for this lens. I really like how it does double duty of a macro lens and a regular 'normal' lens, albeit with sharp detail and colors!

For those who have it or used it... Do you think that it's a decent wedding or event lens for a prime event/wedding setup?

12-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
That looks like a good deal, but US dollars hurts frmo a Canadian standpoint. And also, I'm not sure I'll get the Pentax Warranty as it's a US product being shipped to Canada? Hmm...
i think the seller is from canada

Item location: Stratford, Ontario, Canada

2 YEAR CANADIAN WARRANTY FROM PENTAX CANADA!!, this is also on the description
12-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

After doing more research, talk has been favorable for this lens. I really like how it does double duty of a macro lens and a regular 'normal' lens, albeit with sharp detail and colors!

For those who have it or used it... Do you think that it's a decent wedding or event lens for a prime event/wedding setup?
It works as a nice general purpose lens, no complaints, although for events a zoom is in general more practical in my opinion.

When you use it as a general purpose lens it produces crispy colorful images wide open (natural jpeg from K10D):

12-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice shot, Tom!

It's one of my favorite snap-shooters:

Look at how going down the slide made his hair static!

Last edited by jsherman999; 12-05-2008 at 04:07 PM.
12-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wow, some nice shots! This lens IS sharp.
And the focal length seems like a great walk-around lens.

I've read that the autofocus tends to hunt a bit in dark shots. When I tested it, I had the same issue as well. Sometimes I'd even just give up and use manual focus (Pentax K100D). Anyone else experiencing this?

12-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #9

It hunts for me in low light too. All the way out, then back in. But it's still my favorite lens! This lens is what sealed the deal for me to get into Pentax. No regrets at all.

12-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I haven't had this lens for very long, but it's definitely starting to grow on me.

12-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It's my new favourite lens. All shot with the k10d. sorry for the missing exif. cs3 strips them..

Most of the shots were done in not so idea lighting.

Focus on one of the waitresses behind the counter.. but she moved away.

shot from across the street.. about 60% cropped out

12-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, all these pics are NOT helping me resist buying one!! Sheesh!! I'm loving them!!

I'm beginning to really love the focal length on the 35mm. I'd consider getting the FA 35 F/2 but due to the exchange rate, it costs as much as the DA 35mm LTD!! Crazy!!

QuoteQuote:
i think the seller is from canada

Item location: Stratford, Ontario, Canada

2 YEAR CANADIAN WARRANTY FROM PENTAX CANADA!!, this is also on the description
LOL My bad. You're right. I was having an odd moment!! Too used to being gouged on ebay... gah.

2 questions. And these may be the deal breaker... but...

1) How do you folks deal with the low light performance? With my DA* lenses, I usually just switch to manual focus. Do you folks do this also?

2) I'm thinking of using this as a fish tank lens, as my Sigma 50mm Macro just broke. However, I'm curious as to how close you have to be to take macro pictures. Would I have to rub this lens all over the fish tank glass to get macros of some of my smaller fish? (1 inch in size)
12-07-2008, 03:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

2 questions. And these may be the deal breaker... but...

1) How do you folks deal with the low light performance? With my DA* lenses, I usually just switch to manual focus. Do you folks do this also?

2) I'm thinking of using this as a fish tank lens, as my Sigma 50mm Macro just broke. However, I'm curious as to how close you have to be to take macro pictures. Would I have to rub this lens all over the fish tank glass to get macros of some of my smaller fish? (1 inch in size)
Low light performance on my k10 is moderate. The 2.8 aperture is fine, I need the dof anyway, but the tendency to hunt increases in low light. My fa77/1.8 is better, but the da35 is still liked by me, even in low light. I don't use MF on the DA35, even in low light because I find the Pentax AF very accurate when it has locked.

For the fishtank I really suggest a 100 macro for small fish, the da35 will be too short.

Edit: I wonder, didn't you find your 50Macro a bit short already for small fish? If not, the difference with the 35 is not THAT big...

Last edited by tomtor; 12-07-2008 at 03:58 AM.
12-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Low light performance DA35/K10D

I made a short test of the low light performance on my K10 (late model), to
give you an impression.

light level ISO400/F2.8/0.5s (light from a single bulb in a moderate sized room): Camera locks always directly, no hunt.

ISO400/F2.8/1.5s (in a dark corner ): Camera hunts reproducible 1 time and locks.

So, the low light performance is not bad at all, I would say.