Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Portrait Lens Recommendations

I have been shooting with Pentax since day one, however in the past year or so my photography has taken a back seat to life and other hobbies.

That said I am still definitely interested in photography, but not so much of G.A.S.

In the past I've cycled through a bunch of different lenses that I've bought and sold. Right now I've parsed my kit down to a cool manual 50, the three amigos, and a 24 to 70 zoom. I'm shooting with a K1.

Over a long time I've come to think that with shorter lens I need to basically get right in the face of my subject. This obviously makes them uncomfortable and I don't particularly like doing it either.

What I have been thinking about is getting a longer manual focus lens with it's dedicated mission be for portraits of people.

As of right now I am looking in the 105 to 135mm range but I would like to tap the brains here about what my options are.

I had a 70-200 before (but on a crop sensor). In ways I think that would be a good option but honestly I never used that kind of lens when I had it. I literally hauled it around the world as little more than dead weight. Eventually after returning home I sold it and realistically I don't miss it that much.

What I am thinking about this time is an M or A series lens that is sharp but also has good character. I don't care if it's auto focus or not. On the occasion where I can take photos of willing participants I'm thinking this might be the way to go.

---

On a side note if you want please feel free to post up examples of your people pictures that were taken in that range of focal length.

Keep in mind that I'm more aiming towards proper posed photos or whatever, not so much of candid shots etc.

Thanks all. Looking forward to the responses.

10-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax 24-70 may be a good choice if you want the wide angle and some reach on the K-1. As you said you may want the 135 long end range, so I do not know if you would be satisfied with the 70 reach of the 24-70.
10-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried to use apsc-mode and the FA77 to get that extra working distance? Just a though, since it sounds like it's an infrequent use and the penalty in image quality may not be a limiting factor. I find it easy to compose in apsc crop on the k1 with the viewfinder "frame".

To answer your question for recommendations, I have in the range Tak Bayonet 135/2.5, M 135/3.5, SMC 135/2.5, DFA 100 macro wr. The Tak is noticeably softer than the rest, but otherwise makes pleasing images. With the M they are great value. The DFA is probably the sharpest. All have fine bokeh, I think the DFA is the smoothest and the SMC has the most character. Sorry I don't have photos to share because when I use them for portraits they're of family.
10-10-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Right now I've parsed my kit down to a cool manual 50, the three amigos, and a 24 to 70 zoom. I'm shooting with a K1.
———
As of right now I am looking in the 105 to 135mm range but I would like to tap the brains here about what my options are.

What I am thinking about this time is an M or A series lens that is sharp but also has good character. I don't care if it's auto focus or not. On the occasion where I can take photos of willing participants I'm thinking this might be the way to go. .
The K 120 f2.8 is well respected as is the K 135 f2.5. I also like the F / FA / & DFA 100 f2.8 macro - some people don’t like macro lenses for portraits but I don’t think that is really a problem myself. I love the Nikon 105 f2.5 and you can mount one to a k mount camera but it won’t lock onto the mount and it won’t turn far. I would personally avoid the Takumar Bayonet 135 f2.5 I find it soft and low contrast - but some like it despite its warts.

10-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
FS1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the first longer lens for that purpose, I'd definitely go with a 70-200mm f2.8. I have Sigmas (before the Pentax came out), and although they are great, I'd definitely go for the Pentax now. But if you are even considering a manual focus, fixed-length lens, it would be wise to check out the Samyang 135mm f2.0. (Just take a look in the lens reviews.)
10-10-2021, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You seem like you probably have the Pentax and Takumar lineup pretty well understood. Quite a few 135s and a 120 to look at.

Here are some others I know of that might be worth looking into:
-Tokina 90mm macro: known as Bokina for it's special bokeh. A little shorter than you're looking for and pretty close to 77.
-Pentax 100mm macro (f/fa/dfa): as others mentioned it does fine for portraits. Just a very useful lens.
-Vivitar 135 macro: there are a few good versions, and a few Vivitar 135s that aren't as great. This one has always had my interest, although I've never pulled that trigger and don't find myself needing it.
-Samyang 135 and Mitakon 135: Two modern designed MF lenses at a great price. I know the Samyang is always mentioned for astro, which is about as demanding on a lens as possible, but doesn't guarantee pleasant bokeh.
-Irix 150 macro: longer than you were thinking, but not by a ton, and it's another one that would add more than just portraits to your kit. I've not read how good it is for that purpose, tho. Nice that it's WR, too.

Not recommendations, I'm just throwing them out there in case you weren't aware of any of those. I have FA100mm Macro and think it would be okay for what you're looking for, but I could also believe someone would want a more characterful or interesting lens for doing artful portraits. 100 macro feels a bit like a precision tool.
10-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Samyang 135 f2 is the best lens in that range for the Pentax system I think. There's just no Pentax prime that even comes close to touching it.

10-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another thought strikes me - what about a good manual focus zoom like the M 75-150 f4? It depends a lot on what you need in terms of background blur. At 465g the M 75-150 is lighter than the K 135 f2.5! Of course this really depends how you like your portraits. With the right background this zoom could really shine.
10-10-2021, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

It depends on working distance and portrait type (full body, head shots, half body )
The larger the object/subject, the longer the focal length.

I often find that the FA*85/1.4 is the best compromise for portability/usability/effect.
If I want versatility (at the expense of lens size/weight), then a FA*80-200.

Likewise any of the Pentax 85mm are good up to half body shots. (ie. M85/2; Takumar 85/1.8 / 1.9; K85/1.8 )
The 77ltd falls in the same category as the slower 85mm w/ convenience of AF.

If its a good 'in-between', then it has to be a 135mm, of which on FF, I don't mind the Super Takumar 135/3.5, or a M135/3.5. The K135/2.5 is a good option too w/ the faster aperture and still decent size (though getting to be a bit more dedicated since its bigger than the former 2 )
10-10-2021, 11:42 PM   #10
pid
Pentaxian

DFA*85/1.4 ... crop it if you need. The bokeh and details are stunning!
10-11-2021, 12:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Another thought strikes me - what about a good manual focus zoom like the M 75-150 f4? It depends a lot on what you need in terms of background blur. At 465g the M 75-150 is lighter than the K 135 f2.5! Of course this really depends how you like your portraits. With the right background this zoom could really shine.
It's a good zoom but I'd prefer something like the Tak bayonet 135 f2.5 for portraits.
10-11-2021, 04:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
It's a good zoom but I'd prefer something like the Tak bayonet 135 f2.5 for portraits.
I’ve tried the Tak Bayonet and it’s really not great wide open. Even stopped down it can be a challenge to use, but perhaps like the fa 50 f1.4 the dreamy look wide open is exactly what you are interested in?
10-11-2021, 07:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The optical performance of the M 75-150 f4 is competitive with new current designs. I bought one for portraits. The only issue I have is having to juggle both zooming and focus with a manual focus zoom. The 75-150 is a one-touch design which sort of helps, sort of makes it worse as well.

I've wondered about the M 120mm f2.8, the Samyang 135mm f2, or the Venus Optics 105mm STF f2 for my film kit. But I've got enough glass already and am trying to get a more competent digital kit together currently.
10-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far! Good information here.

In regards to cropping...that goes against one of my personal 'guidelines'. That being I try to pretend like my camera is a film camera and hence I try to get the totality of a shot correct in the first place. That means as much of the background, focus points, everything. Cropping (to me) is a last resort. I don't have anything against cropping per se, but for me I instituted that guideline to help ME become a better photographer.

I've taken several what I consider good shots using the 77mm and the 24-70. The 77 however is the longest lens I currently own so I was thinking of getting something longer. Whether it's 100mm or 150mm or somewhere in between is TBD. What I might actually do is get a cheap (like $100) zoom and shoot with it until I can pin down what would work best. That said the idea of a zoom has crossed my mind.

Other than that there are several options listed above that are definitely worth exploring. I will take all of that into consideration (especially since Christmas is coming up)... Part of me really jumped at the Samyang but on the other hand something vintage is also interesting.

Honestly taking those specific types of pictures is rare...and even more rare over the past 1-2 years. I haven't been traveling at all. With that in mind I am not looking to spend a fortune for a seldom used lens.

Going the macro route might also be an option because I do take pictures of bugs and such every once in a while. Lots to think about.
10-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you decide to go for a cheap zoom, the M 75-150 is well within that budget these days - at least on eBay.
The A series lenses are a little easier to use and as someone else pointed out the "one touch" zooms are a bit of a mixed bag - fast to get zoomed and focused - hard to hold critical focus without moving the zoom. I'm not sure if there are any really good cheap Pentax two ring zooms that are manual focus oriented however. If there are - maybe someone else will mention them.