Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Question about "coating damage" on lens

I've had my eye on the M version of this lens; however, I came across this one, which is the same lens but an A lens, and at a good price (over $100 less price than the M green star lens have been going for).

Question is for you to comment on in the description it says "There is coating damage. "

Lens is at: [Exc+5] Pentax SMC Pentax-A* 300mm f/4 Green Star Lens for K Mount JAPAN 404 | eBay

Addendum: I'm use to using the green button for stop down metering with M lens. With the A lens, does this mean that one doesn't have to use the green button

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-12-2021 at 11:01 PM.
10-12-2021, 11:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A lens that has the "A" setting means that the camera can control the aperture of the lens. No need to do stop down metering.

As for the coating damage. What little I saw, I don't think you need to worry about it.
10-13-2021, 12:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That type of damage will show up in shots stopped down depending on where it is in the image circle. Not a huge deal but worth considering.
10-13-2021, 01:30 AM   #4
Lev
Pentaxian

If the lens is rare and is for a good price, I would consider buying it but otherwise I would better wait for another copy. Having damaged coating is like having UV filter in front of your lens, you will notice it in 1% of your images.

10-13-2021, 01:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I have seen when I have price watched those lenses, the A seems like the better buy if you don't have some collection angle. They often seem to be priced more or less the same.

The A lens will not require any special metering steps if you use the camera's control for the aperture, and will give aperture info in the exif and in the viewfinder display. I for one would spend a little extra to get that capability if it's available. Maybe less of a concern for macro lenses, or anything expected to always use wide open.

As for that lens copy... it's not my money, but that one looks risky. Not just the front element, but the paint being so rough as well just makes me question. Like with buying a used car, sometimes you're looking for clues as to how it's been treated generally, even if the specific clues themselves don't affect how it drives.
When it comes to buying used stuff on ebay, my general policy is to run away if there are any red flags at all in the pics or description. Since I can't get my hands on it, those few pictures and little bit of text are all I have to go by, so I just don't do it if there's any doubt. I'm sure I miss a deal here or there, but it's what I do to reduce my risk of getting a worthless item (which has happened and left me stung). Another thing that plays into my philosophy is I pretty much never return anything unless it's entirely not what I payed for; I guess I assume the risk when I click buy. Not that that's necessarily smart on my part, it's just what I do.
10-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coating damage will change the transmission of the lens in that particular area and looking through the lens may not even show the damage. It really depends on the actual damage and extent, but generally, (as shown in the ebay listing) this won't hurt the image at all. It's a different matter if someone tried to clean the damage and did something to the remainder of the coating. I would say buying the lens is a good bet but not 100%.
10-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The front rim is BENT (at about 5:30 in his 1st and 2nd pictures)! You will never get a filter on there (if you care), unless you can push it back into shape.

Aside from the two big blemishes, there are 4 more spots at around 11 o'clock.

I'd stay away from this one. It's almost the joke definition of an "Excellent +++++" lens!!!!!!!!!! I might call it a "good ------" lens.

Note also, this is manual focus. I had one like it some time ago - it was rather difficult to nail the focus with it. If you are trying to shoot anything that's moving, you may get quite frustrated. It's been replaced with the DA* 300, which is MUCH better.

10-13-2021, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exc+++++ “May or may not have been found under a haystack in a barnyard”
10-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I would hold out for a better one. Fixing it is not really an option. You will have to find someone who can re-coat a lens. They are out there, or so so I have heard. Even then they will definitely not have the ingredients for the Pentax SMC secret sauce in the larder.
10-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I've had my eye on the M version of this lens; however, I came across this one, which is the same lens but an A lens, and at a good price (over $100 less price than the M green star lens have been going for)...
There's an M* in the marketplace for about the same once you add in shipping, looks about 100 times better condition. I don't think I'd be satisfied long-term with the coating damage. Then it's your problem to sell, which may be a challenge.
10-14-2021, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

A little mark on a lens would never bother me but at that price you're nearing the actual value of the lens. Personally I would pass.

A good test for any damaged lens is "can I resell this for what I bought it for". If the answer is a no or "it'll be really difficult" then it's just not worth your time.
10-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies....
I will pass on this lens and wait for a better copy. I actually like the M lens with stop down metering, but understand that the A version is really the same glass but has the advanced ability of aperture (and no stop down required from your replies here).... thus, the A lens are generally and usually more expensive than the M lens...

Regards,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-15-2021 at 03:40 PM.
10-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, I would never touch a lens with deformed filter threads, this optics was dropped or roughed up.

Regards
5 Days Ago   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I will pass on this lens and wait for a better copy. I actually like the M lens with stop down metering...
Just in case you didn't see this one... there one is.

It's probably the one Just1MoreDave was talking about.