Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only have one of the lenses in question

the D FA * 70-200mm F2.8

I got lucky, I found mine on the forums' marketplace being sold by a member who was leaving photography b/c of health reasons

within 15 minutes of his posting, 20 pms had been sent to him about his lens

I love it

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
Introduction
In order to cater to professional photographers, a manufacturer must meet several requirements. In addition to a full frame body, a 70-200mm F2.8 telephoto lens is very high on the list. It is thus not very surprising that Pentax released its own version of that lens just prior to the launch of the Pentax K-1 itself.

The HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW lens was launched alongside the 15-30mm F2.8 and 24-70mm F2.8 to create a trio of fast zooms able to cover most photographer's needs. Unlike the other two lenses, which are a repackaging of a comparable Tamron lenses (otherwise unavailable for Pentax), the 70-200mm appears to be a brand new in-house design. The 70-200mm's launch was delayed after the initial announcement, to allow the engineers more time to perfect their design.

A 70-200mm lens serves many purposes, especially on full frame. It can be used for portraits (both outside and in a studio), sports, weddings, photojournalism, wildlife, concerts and shows. Such a lens also comes with high expectations. Photographers will expect a high level of optical performance, fast AF, and high reliability.

Pentax APS-C users have long had access to the DA* 50-135mm F2.8 lens, which covers approximately the same field of view as a 70-200mm on FF, and to the DA* 60-250mm F4 which has a slower aperture, but is lighter and covers a longer range. The only direct competitor to the new D FA* 70-200mm is the Tamron 70-200mm F2.8, which is an older design (a newer version was released in 2012, and is not available for Pentax) but nevertheless one that we will be examining closely. Canon, Nikon and Sony users of course have access to equivalent lenses in their respective mounts.

Pentax used almost every optical technology available to it in this 70-200mm lens. From the premium HD and Aerobright II coatings, to Super Protect on the front element, silent DC focusing, internal focusing and zooming, extra-low dispersion glass and of course weather sealing, this member of the star (*) line is intended as an advanced, professional tool with no half-measures. . . .
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

yes, it is big and heavy

and yes one can use it without a tripod or monopod

10-14-2021, 11:57 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Upgrading to a k-3 or newer is another rational option yielding a 33% bump in resolution which could mean you can crop more as well.
I am considering on upgrading to a newer body for the exact purpose which you mentioned. Either K-3II or K-3III. Although, I can't help but stare on a K-1 with low shutter count at an incredible price Maybe another time
10-15-2021, 02:04 AM   #18

Original Poster
A big thankyou to everyone's input on this subject. I was walking around with a crow bar at work today that weighed in a 1800 g, same as the DFA*70-200, (+ including the K-5) just to get a feel of what to expect. Moving around was fine, raising at shoulder height was awkward. I would need a Monopod if I was to go ahead with it

The DA* 60-250 looks like the better choice with less weight to lug and with the slight longer focal length. I still may consider buying a used one now that I'm aware where to take the DA* 60-250 for repair if the SDM fails on me. Thanks garywakeling.

An upgrade to a used K-3II or K-3III including the DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM looks like a nice option. I just hope the menu layout on the K-3's aren't to different to the K-5's?

I will give this some thought. Cheers
10-15-2021, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zedman Quote
I just hope the menu layout on the K-3's aren't to different to the K-5's?
K-3 II, almost the same
K-3 III, completely different

10-15-2021, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Forget the monopod, get yourself a slide strap. Don't try using it with the standard neck strap.
10-15-2021, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Forget the monopod, get yourself a slide strap. Don't try using it with the standard neck strap.
I agree

I use over the shoulder and down the hip style on all of my set ups

peak design or Optech USA

check out this area of the forums:

Camera Straps - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

and

lots of helpful knowledge can be found here at the forums in the " articles " section

QuoteQuote:
Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds
Introduction
In this attempt to understand concepts second nature to all veterans of a militarized basic training, we explore the four fundamentals of marksmanship and how they apply to improving one's photographic technique.

Read more at: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles
10-15-2021, 03:58 AM   #22

Original Poster
Yeah, the slide strap looks great. Thanks Paul

10-15-2021, 03:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zedman Quote
Yeah, the slide strap looks great. Thanks Paul
Check out this Peak Design site for pictures and videos on how to use it. I definitely recommend the Slide for Pentax, rather than the Slide Lite, which is meant for lighter mirrorless setups.
10-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer the Optech USA straps

but I did pick up the Peak Design Silver Slide to match my K 3 III Silver
10-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I prefer the Optech USA straps

but I did pick up the Peak Design Silver Slide to match my K 3 III Silver
Yes, the Optech straps are very highly regarded too. There are so many versions of them though, they confuse me. Which one do you recommend aslyfox for DSLR + DFA*70-200?

I find the Peak Design concept a little neater, in particular the anchor links, but it's personal preference. When walking around with the DFA 150-450 on the K1 or K3iii, I usually don't have a bag that can accommodate the big lens. So if I swap to a smaller lens I leave the big one on the sling and use the camera and small lens with the Peak Design Cuff, which attaches via the same link. It's an easy swap-over. Optech has something similar I believe.
10-15-2021, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the Optech straps are very highly regarded too. There are so many versions of them though, they confuse me. Which one do you recommend aslyfox for DSLR + DFA*70-200? . . . .
my complete set up is

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plate

Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plate reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Joby camera tether

Joby camera tether reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

the handgrip allows me to adjust the weight by holding the camera and lens when I don't want it to swing or to lighten the load on the shoulder

the camera tether is a safety back up in case of a failure

my biggest lens is the D FA 150-450mm

QuoteQuote:
. . . the Peak Design Cuff, which attaches via the same link. It's an easy swap-over. Optech has something similar I believe. . . .
perhaps

OP-TECH Gotcha Wrist Strap

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/op-tech-gotcha-wrist-strap.html
10-18-2021, 05:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Yes, the Optech straps are very highly regarded too. There are so many versions of them though, they confuse me. Which one do you recommend aslyfox for DSLR + DFA*70-200?
I used Op-Tech happily for several years, before starting to use Peak Design and never looking back. Cleaner, simpler, smaller components, just as well made if not better, there's a reason it became the de facto industry standard.

I find the Peak Design concept a little neater, in particular the anchor links, but it's personal preference.
I agree.
10-18-2021, 06:06 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I used Op-Tech happily for several years, before starting to use Peak Design and never looking back. Cleaner, simpler, smaller components, just as well made if not better, there's a reason it became the de facto industry standard. . . .
I agree both are good designs

but my Optech USA utility strap sling is longer than my Peak Design Sliver Slide which is just a little bit short for me