Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #76
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The register only pentaxians.de site has brick wall photos. I'm not going to republish what someone posted behind a login but there is considerable distortion.

Looks like simple barrel though and its not terrible. Looks acceptable to me but not ideal for an architecture shooter such as myself. I end up with hand held shots that arent level because the edge of frame is "lying" about the vertical. If there is one thing disallowed for architecture its tilting the camera up or down, even minutely.
Since neither the K1 or K3 firmware updates to include this lens have been released, wait and see if the test shots improve.

10-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Since neither the K1 or K3 firmware updates to include this lens have been released, wait and see if the test shots improve.
Firmware is irrelevant for IQ when shooting raw. The optics stay the same. Af might improve though.

I don't think the distortion and vignetting are dealbreakers but for EUR1500 the pressure on resolution, field curvature and chromatic aberration control to be pretty damn good becomes higher. Its the annoying fact when setting very high prices.
10-31-2021, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Images look nice but that's a fair bit of distortion and vignetting on display. I expected they would leave some distortion in due to previous comments they've published about wide angle lenses in general. The stand out images are the close focus ones. Perhaps not surprising as it's more difficult to that good wide angle distance views and for those it's basically resolution that matters. At the published sizes even the f2.4-2.8 shots look good at infinity. Hardly any noticeable softness.

I noticed a few days ago that the mapcamera samples showed the distortion in the stair shot. See step near the camera below. This means the high rise building scenes previously shown has to be software corrected.

For eur1500 the full size images have to be spot on. Looking forward to larger samples.
There are lenses with ’zero’ distortion. This example is pretty good for 21 mm lens. As well in terms of aberration and other things. Would like to remind that highly corrected lenses does not produce pixie dust. As well as zero distortion also is clean, and therefore boring. They did not want that with this lens design
10-31-2021, 03:30 AM   #79
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
The DFA* 50mm f1.4 is the best lens that Pentax has ever produced!
I can confirm
I can even imagine being an owner also of a D-FA* 24mm f1.4

sweet dream

12-27-2021, 08:09 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I can confirm
I can even imagine being an owner also of a D-FA* 24mm f1.4

sweet dream
I've been dreaming the same thing! There's a term for something like that, isn't there? Something like synchronicity? Or synchronous dreaming? Anyway, I'm there.

-Rocky714
08-11-2022, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #81
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just digging up this thread, because the patent for this lens materialized. The linked article of from a Japanese site asobinet.

https://asobinet.com/info-patent-ricoh-21mmf2-4/

It's quite normal for different variations to be patented along with the one that becomes an actual product. These are almost certainly included for completeness and not with the intention of actually making them.

In this case, they also included:
- 18mm f2.4 for DSLR
- 14mm f2.4 for mirrorless

As I mentioned this does not mean either lens is coming or that Ricoh is working on a mirrorless camera. It just means that they are securing the IP from a legal standpoint.
08-11-2022, 07:22 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now this thread has been resurrected, I have edited the dead link in the OP to the updated URL