Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Black vs silver Limited - finish quality

I have one black Limited lens (FA31). While it matches black bodies nicely, I've found it hasn't aged that well over many years of travel/use, with the smooth black paint flaking/peeling from the smooth surfaces and also wearing off from the focus ring. That's had me sticking to silver when I have the option (e.g. for rest of the FA Limited lenses or the HD DA Limited lenses).

Is this an issue with newer HD DA Limited lenses? I like the texture on the silver lenses - it's not perfectly smooth and doesn't show scratches as easily. Plus I don't think there's any paint to flake off.

(also eyeing a colour choice for the DFA21!)

10-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the fa* lenses the silver comes off easily. On my da and fa limited I haven’t seen either color flake off. My only silver ones are the fa 31 and da 20-40.
10-20-2021, 10:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
On the fa* lenses the silver comes off easily. On my da and fa limited I haven’t seen either color flake off. My only silver ones are the fa 31 and da 20-40.
My FA* 85 1.4 has pretty severe paint loss.
10-21-2021, 01:03 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

The silver finish on aluminum is anodized, so very durable, the silver finish on plastic is a paint....

10-21-2021, 01:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
The silver finish on aluminum is anodized, so very durable, the silver finish on plastic is a paint....
...this is why I've not bought a "silver" finish lens (apart from the Limiteds) from the recent introduced classics - they look lovely but if they are anything like the body coating on the FA*24 and FA*85 then they will get scratched just through use (not abuse).

The Limited lenses finish seems to similar durability whether it's Black or Silver
10-21-2021, 04:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
My FA* 85 1.4 has pretty severe paint loss.
Pretty much all of the FA* that have sen any use suffers from the same. Very bad non-durable finish on those lenses.
10-21-2021, 04:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My DA Limiteds are all black and have worn reasonably well. My only FA Limited, the SMC 43mm, is silver (because that's what came up used locally) but I've owned it for much less time so it's hard to compare. Still, I'd take a black finish lens that only looks a bit bad when it's older than a silver lens that looks bad from the day it's made.

10-21-2021, 05:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't get discussions like this. Does the external finish affect the optical qualities? I keep my lenses dry and dust free etc., to preserve the interiors degrading, but I wouldn't lose sleep over an external scratch or paint chip. I'm more concerned about how things function than how they appear as they age - possibly why I'll never have botox or nip 'n' tuck...
10-21-2021, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I don't get discussions like this. Does the external finish affect the optical qualities?
The look and feel is an important part of the appeal of Pentax Limited lenses, as has again been emphasized by the design team of the newest D FA 21 Limited:

QuoteQuote:
A message from the development team

- Providing joy and excitement of owning and handling a spectacular lens forever.

These factors include:

Creating a sense of stability and precision, assured by the use of metallic material;

Developing an exterior design that is not only simple, but also attractive, well-defined and timeless.

[...]

The most important design concept of the Limited Lens series for the exterior designers is omomuki, or tastefulness.

Once you hold a Limited-series lens in your hand, you'll want to keep it close for many years to come, and to look at and touch it at every possible occasion. It will entice you to go out and capture images. That's the kind of lens we hoped to develop.

[...]

What is a tasteful lens?
Appearance

A compact size and a pleasant shape, a high-grade texture and a sense of solidity assured by the use of metallic
material, and remarkable precision made possible by meticulously machined parts.
A highly condensed design with the utmost attention paid to every detail, and parts with a tone that is neither
inorganic nor monotone.
Rich, tasteful exterior design.
An exterior appearance that exhilarates you when holding and touching the lens.
Not to forget the monetary value of such a lens, in case you want or have to sell it. When you haven't abused it physically, but the exterior looks like you did, people will pay less for such a lens than if it looked flawless.
10-21-2021, 05:32 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I can recall being advised to put a small blemish on a new car

And then not to worry

Since something was going to happen to it any way
10-21-2021, 06:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I’m not particularly fussed by the colour nor am I under any delusion the optical qualities differ by colour. I suppose my question boils down to if the newer black HD DA Limited lenses are painted to a smooth finish like the older black DA and FA Limited lenses or anodized (if i’m using that term correctly) like the silver ones? A good comparison is the finish of various colours of aluminum (or more recently, stainless steel) iPhones.

Presumably, the fact we have a choice suggests that aesthetics are at least somewhat relevant!
10-21-2021, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
I suppose my question boils down to if the newer black HD DA Limited lenses are painted to a smooth finish like the older black DA and FA Limited lenses or anodized (if i’m using that term correctly) like the silver ones?
The youngest black FA limited I own (FA 77) was purchased new when the K-3ii was released. The finish on that lens is similar to the finish on all of of my black lenses - smooth and a little like a lustre paper finish. The silver FA 31 has a more textured finish as does the HD 20-40.
10-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
Thanks everyone. I’m not particularly fussed by the colour nor am I under any delusion the optical qualities differ by colour. I suppose my question boils down to if the newer black HD DA Limited lenses are painted to a smooth finish like the older black DA and FA Limited lenses or anodized (if i’m using that term correctly) like the silver ones? A good comparison is the finish of various colours of aluminum (or more recently, stainless steel) iPhones.

Presumably, the fact we have a choice suggests that aesthetics are at least somewhat relevant!
Nope, only the silver limiteds are anodized also in the latest: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR / Limited / Wide-Angle Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
10-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The youngest black FA limited I own (FA 77) was purchased new when the K-3ii was released. The finish on that lens is similar to the finish on all of of my black lenses - smooth and a little like a lustre paper finish. The silver FA 31 has a more textured finish as does the HD 20-40.
Was it Ooku that said the dfa21 had a different finish than the DA2040 but the same as the fa43?
10-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I can recall being advised to put a small blemish on a new car

And then not to worry

Since something was going to happen to it any way

Or just to not clean it and let the dinks stay hidden.

That small blemish idea seems sound and applies to so many items. Pristine furniture - one knock and it's easy to obsess about it. After a couple more, life returns to normal. Numerous times my wife and I have picked items that have shop blemishes on them. Get a discount and then use them without any stupid worrying.

A used lens is, however, a different matter as it's all about the internals which are are hard to determine. Any scratches and chips I make I can associate with my own usage and worry accordingly. A chip or scratch on the body of somebody else's lens I might buy, is off putting. This may be a reason to keep them pristine, I suppose, but it can inhibit usage. The optics I do take a lot of care with. That to me is different.